Next time, the turtle? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Compact II
On first long trip towing Hunter Compact II with 4-cylinder PT Cruiser with 5-speed, was about 200 miles into it and humming right along - dogs happy, driver happy and thinking of great campsite ahead and then far ahead, I see something dark moving on edge of the two-lane road. As I approached, realized it was a 10-inch turtle high up on its legs; quickly trotting right to meet my car.

Not thinking (always a bad idea) but reacting as normal, I swerved to spare the turtle. ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE! The trailer swung over and then back and kept doing it - trying to move the car as well and I was scared to death. Well, I tried to act like it was a flat or ice and used no brakes, just no gas and gripping steering wheel for straight ahead. Didn't know anything else to do.

I was lucky no cars coming from opposite direction AND that nothing horrible happened other than faster heart rate and quick breathing. Dogs thought it was just part of the trip. Turtle lived and so did we.

Next time, ??? Maybe turtle not so lucky. Anyone have any suggestions for these situations?
Pat Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
This is where trailer brakes come in handy. A quick application at the controller and wa-la no more wet seat.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
A PT Cruiser? Hate to Open a "Can O' Worms" Sway Bar is my first thought?___

Click image for larger version

Name:	can_of_worms.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	21146

Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita
Pat, your story gave me goosebumps all over, again. A few years ago, when we were pulling our 21 foot Bigfoot Trailer, with our Chevy Tahoe, we had the same thing happen. We were in wall-to-wall, bumper-to-bumper traffic at highway speeds, just North of Albuquerque, NM and I was in the outside lane, when some idiot, parked on the side of the road, decided to open his door and get out. I did what you did, swerved, and all hell broke loose. That BF trailer did a wheel to wheel dance for what seemed like 50 miles. Finally, I got things settled down and we pulled of at the next exit and just sat and shook. Thank God, I had a good Weight Distribution Hitch with Sway Bars. I think that was all that saved us and the rig. The inside of the trailer was a total disaster. Looked like someone had stuck a Mix Master in there on high speed.

Next time, the idiot will go see God because I won't swerve. I could of wiped us and a bunch of people out due to his stupidity.

Don't really have a solution for you, except to pre-program yourself for what you would do in situations like that again.

Good Luck,

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I thinks it's such a natural reaction to swerve I don't know how one would avoid it, it's so hard to hit something. All of our driving experience teaches us not to.

Keith, that guy should have been in "The Darwin Awards"!
Old 06-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe

Several years ago, I remember a thread on this subject . One of the posts was ...when this happens.. instead of letting up on the gas, give it gas slowly and it will come out of it.

Anyone else remember this?
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
On first long trip towing Hunter Compact II with 4-cylinder PT Cruiser with 5-speed, was about 200 miles into it and humming right along - dogs happy, driver happy and thinking of great campsite ahead and then far ahead, I see something dark moving on edge of the two-lane road. As I approached, realized it was a 10-inch turtle high up on its legs; quickly trotting right to meet my car.

Not thinking (always a bad idea) but reacting as normal, I swerved to spare the turtle. ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE! The trailer swung over and then back and kept doing it - trying to move the car as well and I was scared to death. Well, I tried to act like it was a flat or ice and used no brakes, just no gas and gripping steering wheel for straight ahead. Didn't know anything else to do.

I was lucky no cars coming from opposite direction AND that nothing horrible happened other than faster heart rate and quick breathing. Dogs thought it was just part of the trip. Turtle lived and so did we.

Next time, ??? Maybe turtle not so lucky. Anyone have any suggestions for these situations?

Since the Compact II has leaf springs, it would be a good candidate for shock absorbers.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:26 AM   #8

[quote]A PT Cruiser? Hate to Open a "Can O' Worms" Sway Bar is my first thought?___

Attachment 21146

"A PT Cruiser?"?

tell me about sway bars please. I know nothing about them.

The PT Cruiser is one of the original 2001's that I ordered sight-unseen in 2000 and waited for and have loved ever since. Older dog and I camped 9,000 miles using mattress I made for back of car after removing back seats, then got teardrop and did another trip and brought teardrop back. Now have 1973 Compact II. Over the years, bought tires, battery, fan motor replacement, regular oil and filter changes and that's about it. Been a great car and suits my short size and need for vehicle to haul things such as bags of manure or bunch of 2 x 4's or as place to sleep.

The low towing limit of course decides what I can use for camping. The 5-speed has been fabulous on hills. As you can tell, I really like this car and now with the little trailer, a good combination my dogs and I enjoy AND it's paid for.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
"A PT Cruiser?"?

tell me about sway bars please. I know nothing about them.

The PT Cruiser is one of the original 2001's that I ordered sight-unseen in 2000 and waited for and have loved ever since. Older dog and I camped 9,000 miles using mattress I made for back of car after removing back seats, then got teardrop and did another trip and brought teardrop back. Now have 1973 Compact II. Over the years, bought tires, battery, fan motor replacement, regular oil and filter changes and that's about it. Been a great car and suits my short size and need for vehicle to haul things such as bags of manure or bunch of 2 x 4's or as place to sleep.

The low towing limit of course decides what I can use for camping. The 5-speed has been fabulous on hills. As you can tell, I really like this car and now with the little trailer, a good combination my dogs and I enjoy AND it's paid for.

look here....

http://www.etrailer.com/p-3400.htm
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Along with Caroln's question, what in general is the right thing to do? let off the gas and reach down with your hand to apply the trailer brakes? Pat made it letting off the gas.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Don't know if I could bring myself to do this but giving it gas makes sense to me.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita
That's a hard thing to learn. First instinct is to swerve to miss but when towing you have to grip the wheel and square up the obstacle and hit it dead center as possible. This from years driving a gas tanker and running over deer and such. You feel bad but a truck in the ditch or hurt people are much worse. You need to really drive as fast as conditions allow and give your self more following and stopping distance.Wow I don't want to sound like the safety guy but I have seen much on the road. When cars and trailers sway and loose control and wreck it looks like a yard sale gone bad and after the carnage you here " they tried to miss a rabbit" it hits home. Also you run over deer but you run into elk, not a pretty site.
shane n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #13

Quote:
That's a hard thing to learn. First instinct is to swerve to miss but when towing you have to grip the wheel and square up the obstacle and hit it dead center as possible. This from years driving a gas tanker and running over deer and such. You feel bad but a truck in the ditch or hurt people are much worse. You need to really drive as fast as conditions allow and give your self more following and stopping distance.Wow I don't want to sound like the safety guy but I have seen much on the road. When cars and trailers sway and loose control and wreck it looks like a yard sale gone bad and after the carnage you here " they tried to miss a rabbit" it hits home. Also you run over deer but you run into elk, not a pretty site.

Thanks - good advice - will be hard thing to learn as you said - that turtle was looking good and moving right along. I would have felt horrible hitting it but would have been better than what happened. As for hitting an elk - jeez - don't want to think of it. The smaller roads in Arkansas where I like to camp have deer everywhere - leaping and jumping and standing there.

Since I already was going about 50 or so, giving the car gas would not have occurred to me. What do you think?
Old 07-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Pat,

We too have an early model PT Cruiser because it fits me. I always wanted the Subaru because it could possibly tow our 13 and back when they also fit me.

Since we also have a PT Cruiser I wondered how one could have any gas to give it pulling a trailer at 50 mph.

Congratulations on being one of those women who take on pulling a rig. I don't have the guts, have never been comfortable driving much less towing.

Some of the women who are short drive Jeeps. I think the Honda Element fits those of us who are vertically challenged. We got the Odyssey because it fit me and got the same mileage as the Element. Just not fun for driving around doing errands.

We should have a thread for short drivers.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #15

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
Since I already was going about 50 or so, giving the car gas would not have occurred to me. What do you think?
Depends on the conditions. Each one is different. The only one thing in common with the majority of them is to not hit the brakes.

I have pulled my element/13 burro combo out of a hydroplane with the panic button on my brake controller. It really works. I used the trailer to pull the car in line, but it would work just as well to pull the trailer in line too.

And I am 5 ft 1.. thats tall, right?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
And I am 5 ft 1.. that's tall, right?
That's tall if the other person is only 4 feet.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy

I hate to be a wet blanket, but:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/genera...g-capacity.html

and

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_towi...sler_PT_Crusier

There are lots of threads in this forum dealing with towing capacity.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Depends on the conditions. Each one is different. The only one thing in common with the majority of them is to not hit the brakes.

I have pulled my element/13 burro combo out of a hydroplane with the panic button on my brake controller. It really works. I used the trailer to pull the car in line, but it would work just as well to pull the trailer in line too.

And I am 5 ft 1.. thats tall, right?

hi - I also am 5'1". As long as my feet reach the ground when I stand up, tall enough and legs long enough.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #19

thanks for good words Nancy. I've been somewhat astonished at the women who have said lovely things to me about my driving and towing but don't drive and/or tow themselves. I first towed with a teardrop trailer and saw how the PT Cruiser would behave. My Compact II isn't much heavier but is bigger. As shown by the turtle post, I have a lot to learn; I'm such an amateur at this.

As far as being a woman and doing this - if I didn't, I wouldn't get to travel as much with my dogs. My wanting the dog and then dogs along started all this. Being on the open road feels good to me and I'm a person willing to try something - if it doesn't work after a real effort, I stop doing it. The camping thing has worked and I really enjoy seeing the country, going to places such as Great Ape Trust and so many other great spots in the U.S. AND having my dog with me. I like this much better than just driving, driving, and then checking into hotel.

Yes, I know I'm pushing it with towing the Compact II with PT Cruiser even with the stick shift. With the stick, I do okay on hills even if not very fast. Yes, could have given it gas even going 50 on the flat road. I have the car checked regularly and make sure everything is working correctly. I can even occasionally back up the trailer to where I want it to go. Sometimes not. Being short is an advantage with the small camping trailers - I fit in them just fine even without using poptop section. Gina also is somewhat height challenged and she manages a very full life including driving and towing just fine; wish I did as well.

Nancy, enjoy your PT Cruiser - I sure do and have for 8 years.
Pat
Old 07-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #20

Trailer: 1989 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I had a similar problem with a horse in a trailer. some idiot pulled in front of me on the freeway and stopped! I couldn't stop, so stepped gently on the gas and swerved around him. Shared the left lane with another car who seemed to understand the problem. But, I think the fiberglass trailers have more of a problem with stablility. Consider your experience a practice run and next time hit the turtle, rabbit, etc.
SharonNDean is offline   Reply With Quote