Night time towing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #15

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Are they fog lights or are they driving lights?
Huge difference.
My truck came equipped with driving/fog lights.
When properly aimed, they fill-in the area behind the low beam splash pattern and supply light peripherally from curb to curb. the enhanced splash pattern is no brighter than the low beams. I have seen no evidence of any complaints so far (twelve years).

Old 04-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I checked my receipt, I have the daytime driving lights, not the fog lights, they have the 15 degree angle which is for driving and approved in all 50 states.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Welcome to the Critics' Corner, Jim! The lights do look nice on there.

Jon, how you feel about your Rav4 headlights is exactly how I feel about my Highlander's. But I will say that every time I go to Michigan, if I have to drive at dusk or after, I start wishing for some super-duper long range lights. My wife is my spotter; she's way better somehow at seeing the deer in the ditches than I am.
I know what you mean - my son got hit by a deer on his way home from work last friday (and I do mean hit by the deer, not the other way around). $3K worth of damage...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
An insurance man once told me if you say the deer hit you, it's covered under your comprehensive, thus no deductible, if you say you hit a deer, it's collision and subject to your deductible. Might want to check that.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #19

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But I think I have the driving lights, not the fog.
Driving lights are used in conjunction with high beams and shoot the light far down the road.
But, if those are fog lights, they appear to be mounted rather high up. Generally, the fog lights are below the bumper ( as on my RAV4 - factory ).
Although, the whole purpose of after market fog lights, mounted below the bumper, appears to be to collide with curbs etc.

I took a rock to one of my fog lights. Replacing the lens means removing the bumper cover, part of the inside of the wheel wells, etc. etc. Costs about $250 at Toyota. So, I made a new lens cover out of plexi and caulked it in place.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #20

Pennsylvania
Registry
"Driving lights are used in conjunction with high beams and shoot the light far down the road. " not here in the lower 48, when you put on your high beams, both auxiliary driving and fog lights, factory or after market, must shut off.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #21

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Good picture, Jim- see how those lights shoot directly into the camera lens? That's exactly what oncoming drivers get.

On the perhaps comical side, the brand name is appropriate...
"PIAA": puttin' the "all" in P.I.T.A.!

Francesca
By the way Francesca, the reason the new lights look brighter is that my headlights are not on, Toyota, for safety, turns on their headlights but at 50% brightness, when I turn on the lights they are as bright as the auxiliary lights. The newer 2013 FJ has a switch that bypass this feature.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #22

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
My truck came equipped with driving/fog lights.
When properly aimed, they fill-in the area behind the low beam splash pattern and supply light peripherally from curb to curb. the enhanced splash pattern is no brighter than the low beams. I have seen no evidence of any complaints so far (twelve years).

In many cases if not most, by the time something is in the area lit up by the driving/fog lights it's too late to avoid. I also believe that there's a false sense of seeing better because of the better lighting close to the vehicle. What you really want to see is what's down the road with as much warning as possible.

Floyd, I'm constantly bothered by driving/fog lights at night. I've talked to truck drivers and most of them wish they'd never been invented. I've used mine in the fog a few times, this last winter a couple of times. But I mostly rely on standard head lights and night vision. Night vision can be maintained and improved if you know what to do. Night vision is one of those things that if you know how to maintain you'll never be without, unlike artificial lighting.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #23

Pennsylvania
Registry
Smile

Byron,
I guess you must shop here!! The Night Vision Store for Homeland Security and Sport - Thermal Imaging, Low-Lux Cameras, Night Vision Goggles and Weapon Sights - Shop Small!!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We've solved the night vision issue. We simply don't drive at night. We've come to recognize our night vision is not what it once was so we limit our night driving, doing it when only absolutely necessary.

With our driving schedule we have never towed at night.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #25

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Not really. Back before there was such a thing I was in the US Army. We were taught how to spot a target at night with the aid of light or night vision equipment. We had to maintain our night vision and shoot targets on very dark nights, no moon, usually overcast so no starts. I've remember those lessons and use them.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #26

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I love driving at night, it is so much easier to see the other vehicles on the road. Plus, it is usually less crowded too. I do love driving and taking my time through scenic routes during the day, but when I am just blasting I prefer night driving.

I have never had too much trouble with the headlights of any newer vehicle I have had in the last 10 years or so, but do like my fog lights when needed. I don't mind driving in rain or snow, but when visibility is poor, even with lights on, I start to get a bit uneasy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #27

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
"Driving lights are used in conjunction with high beams and shoot the light far down the road. " not here in the lower 48, when you put on your high beams, both auxiliary driving and fog lights, factory or after market, must shut off.
Weird. The driving lights I'm familiar with ( 1970s ) lit up the road far ahead of the high beams. If you used them without high beams you'd have no idea where you were on the road because there would be no light until several hundred feet up the road, and they were very narrow focus.
My experience comes from following rally car races and there wasn't anybody coming in the other direction.
Times change.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
One problem with a starlight scope is it wreaked your night vision, at least the technology we had in Viet Nam. They produced a very bright green image - here is the view through one:
Attached Thumbnails
aug6918.jpg  

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote