Night time towing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Good picture, Jim- see how those lights shoot directly into the camera lens? That's exactly what oncoming drivers get.

On the perhaps comical side, the brand name is appropriate...
"PIAA": puttin' the "all" in P.I.T.A.!

Francesca
By the way Francesca, the reason the new lights look brighter is that my headlights are not on, Toyota, for safety, turns on their headlights but at 50% brightness, when I turn on the lights they are as bright as the auxiliary lights. The newer 2013 FJ has a switch that bypass this feature.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
My truck came equipped with driving/fog lights.
When properly aimed, they fill-in the area behind the low beam splash pattern and supply light peripherally from curb to curb. the enhanced splash pattern is no brighter than the low beams. I have seen no evidence of any complaints so far (twelve years).

In many cases if not most, by the time something is in the area lit up by the driving/fog lights it's too late to avoid. I also believe that there's a false sense of seeing better because of the better lighting close to the vehicle. What you really want to see is what's down the road with as much warning as possible.

Floyd, I'm constantly bothered by driving/fog lights at night. I've talked to truck drivers and most of them wish they'd never been invented. I've used mine in the fog a few times, this last winter a couple of times. But I mostly rely on standard head lights and night vision. Night vision can be maintained and improved if you know what to do. Night vision is one of those things that if you know how to maintain you'll never be without, unlike artificial lighting.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Smile

Byron,
I guess you must shop here!! The Night Vision Store for Homeland Security and Sport - Thermal Imaging, Low-Lux Cameras, Night Vision Goggles and Weapon Sights - Shop Small!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We've solved the night vision issue. We simply don't drive at night. We've come to recognize our night vision is not what it once was so we limit our night driving, doing it when only absolutely necessary.

With our driving schedule we have never towed at night.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Not really. Back before there was such a thing I was in the US Army. We were taught how to spot a target at night with the aid of light or night vision equipment. We had to maintain our night vision and shoot targets on very dark nights, no moon, usually overcast so no starts. I've remember those lessons and use them.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I love driving at night, it is so much easier to see the other vehicles on the road. Plus, it is usually less crowded too. I do love driving and taking my time through scenic routes during the day, but when I am just blasting I prefer night driving.

I have never had too much trouble with the headlights of any newer vehicle I have had in the last 10 years or so, but do like my fog lights when needed. I don't mind driving in rain or snow, but when visibility is poor, even with lights on, I start to get a bit uneasy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
"Driving lights are used in conjunction with high beams and shoot the light far down the road. " not here in the lower 48, when you put on your high beams, both auxiliary driving and fog lights, factory or after market, must shut off.
Weird. The driving lights I'm familiar with ( 1970s ) lit up the road far ahead of the high beams. If you used them without high beams you'd have no idea where you were on the road because there would be no light until several hundred feet up the road, and they were very narrow focus.
My experience comes from following rally car races and there wasn't anybody coming in the other direction.
Times change.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
One problem with a starlight scope is it wreaked your night vision, at least the technology we had in Viet Nam. They produced a very bright green image - here is the view through one:
Attached Thumbnails
aug6918.jpg  
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #29

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
We used hand pops and lume rounds from the mortar pit. Day for nite.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #30

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
True fog lights work by lighting the road "under" the fog.
If you have noticed, if you bright beam the road in fog, visibility is worse.
That was one reason truckers had the lights under the bumpers.

Now for those pesky high-beam drivers.........the ones that bothered me the most were the ones that drove behind you with their lights on bright. A courteous alert driver would dim them with a few taps on the brake pedal. But many and [most today] are oblivious to anyone else on the road.

I had a perfect solution when I was a smart alec kid.
I had a '72 Datsun 1600 pickup. The solution?
Aircraft landing lights mounted under the bed of the pickup.
Baby if they didn't dim them after that, they got a good dose and the swerving began.

Now don't tell me you didn't wish you had thought of that once or twice!
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #31

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Tilting the inside rear-view to shine brights back in the face of the from-the-rear Offenders is what I was taught to do- and it's still remarkably effective at getting them to dim their brights!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #32
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Tilting the inside rear-view to shine brights back in the face of the from-the-rear Offenders is what I was taught to do- and it's still remarkably effective at getting them to dim their brights!

Francesca
Very clever Francesca - I hadn't thought of that!
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #33

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Can I get a tutorial on this from my mirror to your eyes technique? Do you see a band of light on a face? Do you have to shift your head over toward center of vehicle or do you adjust while watching thru outside mirror? Does the driver behind burst into flame? No, that's magnifying glass; I have no clue how this is accomplished.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #34

NE Oklahoma
I've used that technique, but I like my Aircraft Landing Lights better. lol.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #35

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Can I get a tutorial on this from my mirror to your eyes technique?

jack
You just reach up and straighten the mirror so it shines straight back. Most times folks don't even realize they've still got their brights on, and it clues them in. It's a lot safer than hitting the brakes...also less confrontational.

Try it- you'll like it!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #36

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Toyota, for safety, turns on their headlights but at 50% brightness, when I turn on the lights they are as bright as the auxiliary lights. The newer 2013 FJ has a switch that bypass this feature.
Yes they are a safety feature and when at 50% they are known as Daylight running lights and every car sold in Canada as well as a number of other countries requires by law that as soon as the key is turned those lights come on - no way to turn them off.

Funny enough I have had a number of cars over the years including Subaru's with this feature. The first time I took the Subaru I purchased in the USA into the dealer here to be serviced about part way through the servicing I noticed the service manager and the mechanic who was working on my car hunched over a computer and discussing an issue with my car. I went over and the mechanic explained I had a warning light on the dash he had never seen before it said DLR. I giggled and explained it had baffled me as well for a day or two until I realized it meant the Day Light Running lights were on. They had a good laugh and asked why would anyone need to know that as they are always going to be on anytime you start the car - would be better if the light came on the dash to warn you they were not working. Had to explain in the US they are actually not required thus the reason for it - still agree not a great deal of sense to having a light telling you they are on if there is no way of turning them off.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #37

There is a way to turn them off. Apply the parking brake.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #38

NE Oklahoma
Had to explain in the US they are actually not required thus the reason for it - still agree not a great deal of sense to having a light telling you they are on if there is no way of turning them off.
====================
bu·reau·crat [byoor-uh-krat]
noun
an official of a bureaucracy.
an official who works by fixed routine without exercising intelligent judgment.
Origin:
1835–45; < French bureaucrate. See bureau, -crat
Old 04-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #39

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
There is a way to turn them off. Apply the parking brake.
That no longer works with (most) newer vehicles.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #40

At the Gustafson Lake armed standoff with police, I was at the roadblock in a rental Ford Explorer. Had to run the engine at times during the night to keep warm. Police, of course, didn't appreciate having the place lit up, given we were in the bush and facing people with long guns who had used them.
Pulling the hand brake shut down the parking and running lights.
I'd already cut the wires on the interior lights, since I could find no way to shut them off.
Always carry a Leatherman.