Nissan Frontier 4Cyl - Camper Options - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-23-2009, 07:01 AM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I'm a 5'6" guy drive a small truck, car (Corolla), but my dear wife of 30 yrs thinks she will be claustrophobic in the 13'ers.
Darral
I can understand your wife's concern. Just remind her, these small trailers are fully functional for specific tasks like ... to sleep, change clothing and maybe cook and eat. The rest of the time (weather and bugs permitting) you're outside... the entire outdoors is your living room!

13 footers aren't for everyone, but then again neither are monster-sized RVs.

Scamp or Casita? I don't think you'd go wrong with either one. They are more alike than different.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Darryl,

My husband and I travel on long trips with our 13 Scamp. We do not have the bathroom as we much prefer having two beds. We took the back off the front bunk and it makes a slightly wider bed. Does Casita even make the 13 without the bath? It is fair to say we would get claustrophobic in a 13 with a front bath. Others do well with that unit.

To keep our unit light we do not carry water, so did not get the water tank. We do not have the refrigerator, have a cooler in the car. We only camp when the weather is not hot so have no air conditioner. We don't have the furnace either. We do have optional front and rear overhead cabinets (would not want to do without those). Thus configured our Scamp weighs in at about 1450 to 1500 lbs. The new Scamp is taller now so the weight would be a bit more. Joy's Scamp 13 loaded with all the goodies weighs around 2,000 lbs.

Just last week we went down to the Scamp factory to look at 16s. They seemed huge to us and we were really happy that we have the 13. I no longer lwant to have more. Glad we got our 13 that fits short people before they increased the headroom.

Before buying the Scamp I wanted the T[at]B. We parked side by side with friends who have the T[at]B and they had much more frontal area for wind to catch. And when they got in our little 13 they thought it was large. Really, really glad we went with Scamp.

Good luck finding what you want. By the way the 13 on the lot at Backus was with the front bath. I think that is what people are going for these days. It was also the wood interior, a bit more weight. I'll take my lighter weight elbow room any day.

Nancy

Old 06-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #17

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Nancy, Donna,

Thanks for the input. Nancy, yours was very detailed. I like that! You said some very good things but DO differ quite a bit on what you (yall) prefer. #1, it MUST have a bathroom. I was raised in a homebuilt motor home with 3 of us siblings without it. Trecking off to the campground "bunkhouse" at 3 in the morning or using a "porti-potty" in a small camper just wouldnt be pleasing to me. SO, I'll have to sacrifice some weight there. The wood? Nahhh...keep 'fancy' at home. Keep lite on the road. Oh and A/C. An absolute MUST!

Plus in the Scamp/Casitas, there's a wardrobe closet I KNOW the wife would enjoy that actually MANY of the smaller campers doesnt even have! You mention "Joy's Scamp". I plead ignorance here.....is this someone we could contact? I'm glad you listed the weights. That helps alot. I just wish I knew EXACTLY what the HiLo weighed Saturday.

I have another "idea". I know where's theres an OLD '85 FG 13' setting right off of the Natchez Trace near me. I'm going to try and find out who it belongs to. I wouldnt want it because it has the couch and not a bath . Not really for sure if it's even road-worthy. I'd give you the name, but honestly couldnt find one! BUT, if they would ONLY let me test-pull with some weight added, then I could possibly get a better idea...dunno...just another avenue to think about since I have NO idea if there's any 13's within a 1000 miles of me! (I plan a call to Casita again soon).

I cant believe the excellent responses on this forum so far! I can tell in a short time that this is a great group of people. I feel like we're on the "outside looking in" right now. But I just want to be sure. This is a considerable investment. Especially nowadays.

I want my wife to read the past few posts from people that "own" one of these because of all the opinions and actual experience. Who knows....

Darral from Tennessee
Old 06-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #18

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
Again, has ANYONE here pulled a 16' Casita or equal with a 4cyl Frontier. I know without a doubt that I believe it would pull a 13'. But they (Casita) tell me it's only about 300 lbs different than the 16'.

Please accept my apologies early on for such a "redundant" post. But honestly, IF a Casita 16' or so is out of the question, my dream of a "camper" will be put on hold. I just dont want to invest $40K + for an entirely new rig right now.

Thanks in advance....

Darral T. from Tennessee!
We always have had a 6 cylinder tow vehicle. The new one is much more powerful than our old 99 Frontier. I've met some people in campgrounds who claim they have no problem pulling their 17' Casita with a 4 cylinder, but I can tell you from my experience with our old truck that I would not want to be on a steep mountain road pulling the larger Casita models with a 4 cylinder engine.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #19

Darral,

Joy A has the same rig we do but she has everything. Her most recent mod was a generator on the front. She lives in her rig, we just sleep in ours.

If you find an older Scamp the weight will be less than the new ones and less than ours. They put on a heavier axle before we bought ours and now they added height.

Has anyone mentioned that you call Scamp and Casita to find an owner near you?

Yeah, I really wanted a privacy room for the porta potty. I got over it and prefer my own bed and elbow room. I made a curtain for when I want privacy. It turns our Scamp into two rooms

I have to add that the window over the stove and the fantastic fan as near the bunk as possible is a must for us. On a recent visit to the Scamp factory I noticed that they generally put the fantastic fan over the rear dinette. That area has windows. The front bunk you don't want gets no ventilation. The air conditioning you need probably will solve that problem.

You really should go to a fiberglass gathering to see what different rigs look like. That was what we did before deciding. We were lucky to hit a T[at]B rally and then a fiberglass gathering the next week.

Nancy
Old 06-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #20

Forgot to mention, Joy tows with a Jeep and we tow with a Honda Odyssey. We are rated to pull 3,500 pounds. Joy's Jeep rates higher I think. We are both very happy to have vehicles with more than recommended.

Nancy
Old 06-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #21

Darral,

Have you noticed this thread?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...p?showforum=81

Nancy
Old 06-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #22

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
But, they carry the "Hi-Lo" . I pulled the 15'er (15T weight of 2200lbs) and took it to the foot of Monteagle Mt. on the North/West side. This would be down I24 E from Manchester, TN. I could hold 60mph on most grades even in 4th. I drove 5th gear on the flats and could hold 70. I also used the A/C. But I always bump off the A/C climbing hills. That's just me.

[b]As of right now, (until I could try a Casita or equal), [b]I wouldn't be comfy with anything but the Hi-Lo 15. Sorry, I realize I'm on a "Fiberglass forum".

What do yall think? I'll suck up any opinions for/against the Hi-Lo's as well.
I understand. The low profile of the Hi-Lo in the towing mode makes a lot of sense. With a marginally powered tow, you need to play the physics of the situation for all you can get. There's more to this equation than just weight; shape is a significant factor.

Do you have a "shell" or "cap" or something on the bed of your pick-up? They make some really nice fiberglass ones that are taller at the tailgate than at the cab. This will help direct airflow over the trailer somewhat to help reduce drag.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:45 PM   #23

Tennessee
Thanks Fred. I havent thought about one of the FG toppers. Would be a nice addition (storage) and I could WELL see where it would direct the air over the camper.

Nancy, I've looked at the links. I KNOW I saw a "Desoto Ala." meet somewhere. Now I cant find it for the life of me! Seems a "meet" or "rally" would be a GOOD place to come and check out several sizes/models/brands.

Thanks again,
Darral

Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #24

Trailer: Casita 17 ft

I'm towing with a 2001, Nissan Frontier, 4 banger, automatic.
Ive added a transmission cooler and a weight distribution hitch.
I have a 2006, 17' casita delux, with bathroom etc.
When towing it weighs 3,500 pounds per truck scales. (cat).
Have towed about 10,000 miles so far, no problems.
I have been living in my Casita full time for 2 years and
loving it.
Passing? don't think so I'm retired!
I often pull over for important stuff, like to photograph a
butterfly or a wildflower.
A little slow at times, like going up the smokie mountains with
the 15 mph switch back curves.
Get about 17 mph towing. A 6 cyclinder would probably do
as good or better, maybe 18 mph.

Dan

Old 07-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #25

Tennessee
Hey Dan,

Just checked back into the forum and see where you posted. Thanks for that post. You dont get much encouragement from 4 cyls. But, regardless, they're tough workhorses for their size- much like Tennessee miniature mules.

I've about decided on the 15' HILO (mentioned in an earlier post). I liked the 13' Scamp but wife wants no part of it. I probably could pull a 16'er ok....but I've decided I dont like the Casita 13 or 16's after I viewed a 16 last week. They dont have a top-mount A/C (too short inside) and where they're mounting them is in a "hole". (PLEASE- no offense to anyone...just my opinion).

Thanks again for the "experience". Your truck is only 2 yrs newer so probably has the same engine...or pretty close.

Darral
Old 07-17-2009, 01:18 AM   #26

Trailer: 76 Trillium 13 ft
slightly comparable, i used a 91 nissan x-cab p/u with a 4cyl 5spd to tow my 13ft trillium. bed of truck full, all camping gear, heavy canopy, 2 adults and a dog. it towed rather nicely. lots of pep and good stopping power.

Attached Thumbnails
nissan_tow_copy.jpg  
Old 07-18-2009, 02:20 AM   #27

Tennessee
Thanks Michael. I wish I knew how much your total rig weighed. I still havent made a permanent decision. Working on the house and thinking about camping. Not a good combo. It makes it alot harder to work on the house!

Wife and I was just talking that we believe my '99 Front. will pull the HILO 15 fine. Maybe not "peppy" over the mts. But I plan on taking it VERY little over any mt.

Darral

Quote:
slightly comparable, i used a 91 nissan x-cab p/u with a 4cyl 5spd to tow my 13ft trillium. bed of truck full, all camping gear, heavy canopy, 2 adults and a dog. it towed rather nicely. lots of pep and good stopping power.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:18 AM   #28

Trailer: 1998 Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Eglyntine')
Quote:
....but I've decided I dont like the Casita 13 or 16's after I viewed a 16 last week. They dont have a top-mount A/C (too short inside) and where they're mounting them is in a "hole".
you mentioned an 80's model Casita in your area - I own one and want to tell you there are many changes to the newer models. For about 10 years now, the top mount AC is the norm - and they are taller on the inside. My '85 16 foot is 5'10" inside (or shorter) & the newer ones are something like 6'3" - a huge difference when you walk in one.

Try the [b]casita club or [b]casita forum - I know there are people in Tennessee with Casitas, I see them in the forums on these two sites.

There is lots of discussion of different tow vehicles - much like on this site, also.