Nissan Frontier 4Cyl - Camper Options - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #21

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Darral,

Have you noticed this thread?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...p?showforum=81

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #22

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
But, they carry the "Hi-Lo" . I pulled the 15'er (15T weight of 2200lbs) and took it to the foot of Monteagle Mt. on the North/West side. This would be down I24 E from Manchester, TN. I could hold 60mph on most grades even in 4th. I drove 5th gear on the flats and could hold 70. I also used the A/C. But I always bump off the A/C climbing hills. That's just me.

[b]As of right now, (until I could try a Casita or equal), [b]I wouldn't be comfy with anything but the Hi-Lo 15. Sorry, I realize I'm on a "Fiberglass forum".

What do yall think? I'll suck up any opinions for/against the Hi-Lo's as well.
I understand. The low profile of the Hi-Lo in the towing mode makes a lot of sense. With a marginally powered tow, you need to play the physics of the situation for all you can get. There's more to this equation than just weight; shape is a significant factor.

Do you have a "shell" or "cap" or something on the bed of your pick-up? They make some really nice fiberglass ones that are taller at the tailgate than at the cab. This will help direct airflow over the trailer somewhat to help reduce drag.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks Fred. I havent thought about one of the FG toppers. Would be a nice addition (storage) and I could WELL see where it would direct the air over the camper.

Nancy, I've looked at the links. I KNOW I saw a "Desoto Ala." meet somewhere. Now I cant find it for the life of me! Seems a "meet" or "rally" would be a GOOD place to come and check out several sizes/models/brands.

Thanks again,
Darral

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:28 PM   #24

Trailer: Casita 17 ft

I'm towing with a 2001, Nissan Frontier, 4 banger, automatic.
Ive added a transmission cooler and a weight distribution hitch.
I have a 2006, 17' casita delux, with bathroom etc.
When towing it weighs 3,500 pounds per truck scales. (cat).
Have towed about 10,000 miles so far, no problems.
I have been living in my Casita full time for 2 years and
loving it.
Passing? don't think so I'm retired!
I often pull over for important stuff, like to photograph a
butterfly or a wildflower.
A little slow at times, like going up the smokie mountains with
the 15 mph switch back curves.
Get about 17 mph towing. A 6 cyclinder would probably do
as good or better, maybe 18 mph.

Dan

DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #25

Hey Dan,

Just checked back into the forum and see where you posted. Thanks for that post. You dont get much encouragement from 4 cyls. But, regardless, they're tough workhorses for their size- much like Tennessee miniature mules.

I've about decided on the 15' HILO (mentioned in an earlier post). I liked the 13' Scamp but wife wants no part of it. I probably could pull a 16'er ok....but I've decided I dont like the Casita 13 or 16's after I viewed a 16 last week. They dont have a top-mount A/C (too short inside) and where they're mounting them is in a "hole". (PLEASE- no offense to anyone...just my opinion).

Thanks again for the "experience". Your truck is only 2 yrs newer so probably has the same engine...or pretty close.

Darral
Old 07-17-2009, 12:18 AM   #26

Trailer: 76 Trillium 13 ft
slightly comparable, i used a 91 nissan x-cab p/u with a 4cyl 5spd to tow my 13ft trillium. bed of truck full, all camping gear, heavy canopy, 2 adults and a dog. it towed rather nicely. lots of pep and good stopping power.

Attached Thumbnails
nissan_tow_copy.jpg  
michael 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:20 AM   #27

Thanks Michael. I wish I knew how much your total rig weighed. I still havent made a permanent decision. Working on the house and thinking about camping. Not a good combo. It makes it alot harder to work on the house!

Wife and I was just talking that we believe my '99 Front. will pull the HILO 15 fine. Maybe not "peppy" over the mts. But I plan on taking it VERY little over any mt.

Darral

Quote:
slightly comparable, i used a 91 nissan x-cab p/u with a 4cyl 5spd to tow my 13ft trillium. bed of truck full, all camping gear, heavy canopy, 2 adults and a dog. it towed rather nicely. lots of pep and good stopping power.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:18 AM   #28

Trailer: 1998 Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Eglyntine')
Quote:
....but I've decided I dont like the Casita 13 or 16's after I viewed a 16 last week. They dont have a top-mount A/C (too short inside) and where they're mounting them is in a "hole".
you mentioned an 80's model Casita in your area - I own one and want to tell you there are many changes to the newer models. For about 10 years now, the top mount AC is the norm - and they are taller on the inside. My '85 16 foot is 5'10" inside (or shorter) & the newer ones are something like 6'3" - a huge difference when you walk in one.

Try the [b]casita club or [b]casita forum - I know there are people in Tennessee with Casitas, I see them in the forums on these two sites.

There is lots of discussion of different tow vehicles - much like on this site, also.
Deb T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #29

Trailer: Triple E Surfside
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Michael. I wish I knew how much your total rig weighed. I still havent made a permanent decision. Working on the house and thinking about camping. Not a good combo. It makes it alot harder to work on the house!

Wife and I was just talking that we believe my '99 Front. will pull the HILO 15 fine. Maybe not "peppy" over the mts. But I plan on taking it VERY little over any mt.

Darral
Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth here too, of a "comparable" towing situation.
I used to tow my 14' TripleE (similar to Trillium) - approx 1500 lbs, with a 4 cyl. Chev. Tracker, and 5 speed manual transmission. It definitely was at the outer limits of the vehicle's ability. OK to drive at 100km/hr, but more comfortable at 90Km/hr. Always in 4th gear (avoided the over drive as per instruction manual). On big hills would drop to 80km/hr and maybe 3rd gear.
It was definitely a more tedious way to drive, but was tolerable.

Now I tow the same trailer with a Jeep Patriot, which is rated at 2000lbs. It's very comfortable at 100km/hr in all situations.
Best regards

Rob vanNostrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #30

I'm back after some hiatus. We didnt and I certainly dont plan on getting the HILO 15T. Too much for a camper that heavy and I was overly concerned about my truck. So that is out unless I'm shot an outrageously lower price (more $ for maint. on my truck ).

So, I'm back to the Scamp/Casita decision fiasco. The problem? Wife . (I have to be careful as I know she will come along and read this.) BUT, I cant be comfy pulling an over-sized rig for my "4-banger" and she has to be comfortable with the 13-16'ers. She also doesnt like "carpet on the walls". What do yall say about that? Is it a problem in the long run- glue showing through, getting dirty, turning loose?

Well I ran some conversions on Ron's figures. 100km = 62mph 90km = 56mph 80km = 50mph (Win 7 has this conversion in their "calculator"...very nice!)

I'm going to look at a used 16' Scamp with no A/C. 2004 model. It's layout #6 (Dinette). Do yall have any idea as to what it would be worth? I'm hoping to get to test pull it....FINALLY!! Test-pulling an "egg"!!

I'll stop here for now. I love the super posts on this forum.

Darral from Tennessee still driving the Nissan 4 banger!

Quote:
OK to drive at 100km/hr, but more comfortable at 90Km/hr. Always in 4th gear (avoided the over drive as per instruction manual). On big hills would drop to 80km/hr and maybe 3rd gear.
It was definitely a more tedious way to drive, but was tolerable.

Now I tow the same trailer with a Jeep Patriot, which is rated at 2000lbs. It's very comfortable at 100km/hr in all situations.
Best regards
Darral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #31

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
She also doesnt like "carpet on the walls". What do yall say about that? Is it a problem in the long run- glue showing through, getting dirty, turning loose?
I'll answer the rat fur question. It doesn't get any dirtier than drapery in your home. An occasional light vacuum job and you're done (I vacuum mine once a year... at the beginning of camping season). If you have a cat or dog, it may catch flying fur... just like drapery does. Scamp uses a Marine grade covering... it's not carpet, more like a heavy headliner material. It doesn't stain easily, hold odors or get moldy. If it gets moldy you've got a major problem going on in the wood floor and cushions. My 1988 Scamp doesn't have any problem with falling rat fur and the glue has never shown through.

I think the rat fur gives the trailer a homey feel.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote