Nissan Frontier Wired and Hitched - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #15

Name: Marv
Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold) :(
Texas
That 4-liter Nissan makes a nice tow vehicle. I had a Pathfinder and it worked well. They have had one systemic issue since the current generation appeared in 2005. The coolant can leak into the transmission, resulting in a huge ($5K) bill. Nissan claimed to have fixed it back in '06 but I read that some '10s still showed the problem. There is an easy cheap fix to prevent it, check the Nissan forums for details, especially when you reach the end of your warranty.

Marv

Old 05-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #16

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
That 4-liter Nissan makes a nice tow vehicle. I had a Pathfinder and it worked well. They have had one systemic issue since the current generation appeared in 2005. The coolant can leak into the transmission, resulting in a huge ($5K) bill. Nissan claimed to have fixed it back in '06 but I read that some '10s still showed the problem. There is an easy cheap fix to prevent it, check the Nissan forums for details, especially when you reach the end of your warranty.

Marv
Good point Marv, for anyone who owns or is considering an '05-'10 Frontier with automatic transmission.

Of course, this is yet another reason why I like my manual transmission !

There have also been some other failures of the timing chain/tensioners.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post

Marv
I read the Frontier forum from time to time and have only seen reports of earlier models (05-07) with the issue. Nissan extended the warranty to 80k on them and 100 k with a copay. Then there's the radiator bypass which eliminates the problem. Raz
Old 05-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #18

Name: Marv
Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold) :(
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I read the Frontier forum from time to time and have only seen reports of earlier models (05-07) with the issue.
Here is a quote from the class-action litigation website:

The settlement resolves a lawsuit about Nissanís obligation, if any, to pay for repairs to 2005-2010 model year Nissan Pathfinder, Xterra or Frontier vehicles with automatic transmissions that require repair as a result of a crack in the radiator assembly leading to internal leakage of engine coolant, which potentially may occur at higher mileages in these vehicles after the expiration of Nissanís warranty.

When Nissan announced that 80K extended warranty deal in October 2010, it covered everything built from '05 up to that time. It's hard to say when the problem was actually solved.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #19

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I read the Frontier forum from time to time and have only seen reports of earlier models (05-07) with the issue. Nissan extended the warranty to 80k on them and 100 k with a copay. Then there's the radiator bypass which eliminates the problem. Raz
Hi: P. Raz... We just got a letter from Nissan including a sticker for our warr. book that extends the warr. on the rad. From what I've read we also have the new rad in our Frontier, so they're not excluding anyone from the new warr. Bumper-bumper is up at 60,000km. so I just had it all checked over from our last trip south. All fluids are as they should be.
Congrats on your new tow!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Sunrise in New Hampshire.jpg  
Old 05-09-2013, 05:05 AM   #20
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: P. Raz... We just got a letter from Nissan including a sticker for our warr. book that extends the warr. on the rad. From what I've read we also have the new rad in our Frontier, so they're not excluding anyone from the new warr. Bumper-bumper is up at 60,000km. so I just had it all checked over from our last trip south. All fluids are as they should be.
Congrats on your new tow!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Just for clarification my 80k and 100k was miles . Not only have they changed the radiator but also the formula for both the transmission fluid and the coolant. What they haven't done is explained the actual reason for the failure. There is also an ongoing NHTSA investigation. Raz