Nissan Frontier Wired and Hitched - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 04:10 AM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Nissan Frontier Wired and Hitched

The Nissan Frontier has to be one of the easiest vehicles to set up for towing. You can purchase all you need from the Nissan dealer for less than $300 or save $50 by buying an aftermarket hitch. Be aware that because of the unique shape of the Nissan 7 pin socket, mounting requires some modification to the standard mounting plate if you go the aftermarket route (the Nissan hitch accommodates the socket). Other than that, everything is plug and play.

The hitch mounts with six bolts to existed threaded holes. Torquing the bolts takes a little time because of the tight quarters. I went with the Hidden Hitch because it had a bracket to mount the 7 way socket holder. It took about 40 minutes to install.

The 7 way socket is mounted and plugged into two sockets located on the drivers side frame rail. Remove the covers. The plugs snap in.
Attached Thumbnails
image-2686620208.jpg   image-786998520.jpg  

image-987854462.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:12 AM   #2
Raz

Next is the relay installation. The relays are plugged into an assembly that is then plugged into a socket behind the passenger side kick panel. Two or three relays are used depending on the transmission type. To remove the kick panel you first remove the edge molding and then gently pull inward after first removing a plastic nut at the top of the carpet. The relay assembly is plugged into a vacant socket and tucked into the space provided, after first being wrapped in foam.
Attached Thumbnails
image-2600273444.jpg   image-2112443282.jpg  

Old 04-29-2013, 04:14 AM   #3
Raz

Finally, after attaching the cable that comes with your brake controller to the Nissan cable, you plug it into a socket located under the dash board and mount your controller. Add a wire tie or two and you're done. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-2704842423.jpg   image-2548000454.jpg  

Old 04-29-2013, 04:28 AM   #4
Raz

Isn't wiered the way they spell it in Canada?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #5

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Raz, Did you get another Frontier or are these from your last one you had ?
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Raz, Did you get another Frontier or are these from your last one you had ?
I made the mistake of stopping at the dealer last December. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Towing with a Nissan Frontier

I too purchased a 2013 Frontier last fall and actually paid less for it than I paid for the 2000 Frontier from the same dealer. Only difference is the 2013 has an auto transmission while the 2000 had a 6-speed manual which I prefer. Dealer could not find a 6-speed for the 2013, boo hoo. But I really like the button on the shift lever that takes the overdrive out. Very handy for mountain driving both up and down the hills. I get around 14 mpg traveling at the speed limit which in CA is 55 mpg pulling the 13' Scamp. I will be headed into Nevada in a week or two to visit the new California trail museum west of Elko and then take off west on I-80 down to I-50 and head west to Carson City. Still "chasing ghosts" on my genealogy trail. Fun. Photographing where my pioneer ancestors traveled. Probably go over the Sierras via Carson Pass which I took last year. Beautiful trip. Happy trails. Marg in NW CA
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Raz

Ours was a 2012 left over that they were anxious to sell. Not a lot of interest in newer pickups here in northern New England. I had an '09 I was trying to sell with no luck. I had decided to keep it for towing when the opportunity for the 2012 appeared. No 2013's here until March. The 2009 typically got 17-18 mpg with the trailer. I hope this one does as well. Raz
Old 04-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #9

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Raz,
I put the prodigy over on the other side, right below the 2WD-4WD switch. I thought about putting it where you have it, but I was gonna be bumping it with my knee over there.
Marg, I hear you on the difficulty finding a manual. Mine is an '06 crew cab with a manual. I literally had to go to a dealer in Minneapolis to get it ( 500 miles north ). I was prepared to fly anywhere in the US to get a manual ! I totally love this truck, and a big part of it the hand shaker gearbox.....
I get average of 12.5mpg pulling the white box camper ( funfinder ) and 14 to 15 pulling the horse trailer.....so yeah, I would expect 14 to 16 pulling a smaller FG camper like what you guys have.
Good truck.....I'm giving some thought to putting a Stillen supercharger on it. Boost the HP about 80 to 100 over stock. I need to research it first and see what reliability issues it's gonna cause though, to see if it's worth it.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:56 AM   #10
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Raz,
I put the prodigy over on the other side, right below the 2WD-4WD switch. I thought about putting it where you have it, but I was gonna be bumping it with my knee over there.
Marg, I hear you on the difficulty finding a manual. Mine is an '06 crew cab with a manual. I literally had to go to a dealer in Minneapolis to get it ( 500 miles north ). I was prepared to fly anywhere in the US to get a manual ! I totally love this truck, and a big part of it the hand shaker gearbox.....
I get average of 12.5mpg pulling the white box camper ( funfinder ) and 14 to 15 pulling the horse trailer.....so yeah, I would expect 14 to 16 pulling a smaller FG camper like what you guys have.
Good truck.....I'm giving some thought to putting a Stillen supercharger on it. Boost the HP about 80 to 100 over stock. I need to research it first and see what reliability issues it's gonna cause though, to see if it's worth it.

Lack of availability of manuals is a common complaint. My first one was also an automatic. First auto I have ever owned and after making the adjustment I have to say I like it better for towing. When the new one came along, the auto wasn't an issue. All in all the Frontier is a very nice truck. Why they aren't more popular is a mystery to me.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #11

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Raz, Yep I thought it may be a new one, very nice. We love our 2010 and they do set-up nicely for towing.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #12

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Lack of availability of manuals is a common complaint. My first one was also an automatic. First auto I have ever owned and after making the adjustment I have to say I like it better for towing. When the new one came along, the auto wasn't an issue. All in all the Frontier is a very nice truck. Why they aren't more popular is a mystery to me.
In '06 when I was shopping for this one, I was told that 95% of the crewcab versions were automatic trans. And that sure seemed to play out in my search. I love the fact we can search dealer inventory on the internet. I just kept widening my search until I found this one. I am picky about color and other option choices when I buy, partly because I keep this stuff for a long time, so I want to get what I really want. At that time, I was lucky because Kansas City to Minneapolis was a very inexpensive air flight....so it was a matter of spending only $39 for one way air fare.....and then the cost of gas for a quick drive home.
This six speed manual is an excellent gearbox.....very strong and reliable in operation across numerous Nissan/Infiniti platforms.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #13

Towing with a Nissan Frontier

Thanks everyone for your positive remarks about the Nissan Frontier. I'm with you, don't understand why they are not more popular. Here in NW California the Nissans compete with the Toyotas. My truck is a four door with shell on the back. This shell has three connections for any type of electronics you would like to plug in. I use it for my refrigerator instead of an ice chest and it works well. Happy trails everyone. Marg in NW CA
Old 04-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #14

Smile Towing with a Nissan Frontier

Forgot to say, my pickup is also four-wheel drive, very nice to have in the mts. of NW California. Marg in CA
Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita
That 4-liter Nissan makes a nice tow vehicle. I had a Pathfinder and it worked well. They have had one systemic issue since the current generation appeared in 2005. The coolant can leak into the transmission, resulting in a huge ($5K) bill. Nissan claimed to have fixed it back in '06 but I read that some '10s still showed the problem. There is an easy cheap fix to prevent it, check the Nissan forums for details, especially when you reach the end of your warranty.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #16

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
That 4-liter Nissan makes a nice tow vehicle. I had a Pathfinder and it worked well. They have had one systemic issue since the current generation appeared in 2005. The coolant can leak into the transmission, resulting in a huge ($5K) bill. Nissan claimed to have fixed it back in '06 but I read that some '10s still showed the problem. There is an easy cheap fix to prevent it, check the Nissan forums for details, especially when you reach the end of your warranty.

Marv
Good point Marv, for anyone who owns or is considering an '05-'10 Frontier with automatic transmission.

Of course, this is yet another reason why I like my manual transmission !

There have also been some other failures of the timing chain/tensioners.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #17
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post

Marv
I read the Frontier forum from time to time and have only seen reports of earlier models (05-07) with the issue. Nissan extended the warranty to 80k on them and 100 k with a copay. Then there's the radiator bypass which eliminates the problem. Raz
Old 05-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
I read the Frontier forum from time to time and have only seen reports of earlier models (05-07) with the issue.
Here is a quote from the class-action litigation website:

The settlement resolves a lawsuit about Nissan’s obligation, if any, to pay for repairs to 2005-2010 model year Nissan Pathfinder, Xterra or Frontier vehicles with automatic transmissions that require repair as a result of a crack in the radiator assembly leading to internal leakage of engine coolant, which potentially may occur at higher mileages in these vehicles after the expiration of Nissan’s warranty.

When Nissan announced that 80K extended warranty deal in October 2010, it covered everything built from '05 up to that time. It's hard to say when the problem was actually solved.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
I read the Frontier forum from time to time and have only seen reports of earlier models (05-07) with the issue. Nissan extended the warranty to 80k on them and 100 k with a copay. Then there's the radiator bypass which eliminates the problem. Raz
Hi: P. Raz... We just got a letter from Nissan including a sticker for our warr. book that extends the warr. on the rad. From what I've read we also have the new rad in our Frontier, so they're not excluding anyone from the new warr. Bumper-bumper is up at 60,000km. so I just had it all checked over from our last trip south. All fluids are as they should be.
Congrats on your new tow!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Sunrise in New Hampshire.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:05 AM   #20
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: P. Raz... We just got a letter from Nissan including a sticker for our warr. book that extends the warr. on the rad. From what I've read we also have the new rad in our Frontier, so they're not excluding anyone from the new warr. Bumper-bumper is up at 60,000km. so I just had it all checked over from our last trip south. All fluids are as they should be.
Congrats on your new tow!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Just for clarification my 80k and 100k was miles . Not only have they changed the radiator but also the formula for both the transmission fluid and the coolant. What they haven't done is explained the actual reason for the failure. There is also an ongoing NHTSA investigation. Raz