No Gladiator but did get a Colorado - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-21-2019, 08:57 AM   #1

Name: Al
Trailer: 19D Front bath Scamp
North Carolina
No Gladiator but did get a Colorado

I really wanted one of the new Gladiators to replace our Tacoma but ended up with a Colorado. I just hope it serves us as well as the two Toyotas..... and I've still got my TJ to scratch the Jeep itch.

2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2 with AEV Bison package

I couldn't easily move the Tacoma hitch to the Chevy so picked up Scamp's
new version. It can be removed much more easily than what I'd cobbled together for the Tacoma.

The ball is about an inch behind the rear axle which gives me just enough clearance without having to get out and close the tailgate when hooking up. Hitch is centered directly over the ball in below photo.

Plenty of vertical clearance and I could still go up one or down two positions if necessary.

and

Having the hitch in this position let's me turn almost 90*s without cab to nose or bumper to landing gear clearance issues

One thing the Tacoma has over the Colorado is storage. I'm going to miss the two bed side pockets and the extra room behind the rear seat. There's room in front of the hitch and I'm hoping Santa will come through with a Cam-Locker tool box.

No picture, but I did have to replace the Scamp's axle with the one they sell having 4" of llft to compensate for the higher bed sides of the new truck. The truck/trailer sit nice and level and the DSSV suspension on the Colorado seems to handle the bumps better than the Tacoma even after I'd added the air bags to it. Now if I can just remember where I put that Scamp step I removed ten years ago

Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #2

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
That's exciting! Great. Keep us updated on how it works for you. These days new vehicles are all pretty good; I don't expect you'll have issues. The Colorado is something I've considered, but since I realistically can't afford vehicles until they're over 10 years old and have 100,000+ miles, how they hold up in the long, long run is what I'm interested in.

Might just be my computer, but I can't see any of your photos.

ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Lite House
Minnesota
Registry
I can't see the pics either.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #4

North Carolina
Not sure what is going on with the pictures - I'm using Google photos for the first time (thanks Photobucket). I'll try another hosting site.

Appreciate notification of the problem - thanks.

Al
Old 11-21-2019, 10:33 AM   #5

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
Congratulations on the new TV. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. I thought it was my computer until I noticed nobody else can see them either. You might need to download the photos to your computer temporarily and then upload them from there?
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:46 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
No Photos here either ??? We already haul with a 2017 Colorado, and would appreciate seeing your rig too.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:46 PM   #7

North Carolina
Pretty sure the problem is on my end. Will update as soon as its resolved.

Thanks for everyone's patience and we are really happy with the Colorado, the new hitch and the new lifted axle - really.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:25 PM   #8

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Cindy K View Post
Pretty sure the problem is on my end. Will update as soon as its resolved.

Go here for illustrated posting instructions: Posting Photos - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Old 11-21-2019, 09:35 PM   #9

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Earlier today I posted a picture and it didn't take, I reposted it and it worked.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:21 PM   #10

North Carolina
Definitely on my end. Microsoft's OneDrive is holding my pictures hostage due to a mixup between my business account and a second account i inadvertently created when I got a new laptop. I'm working on it but re-synching everything on a slow DSL is taking forever. You'd think after a forty year career working in software as an IBM Business Partner I'd be better at this stuff but PC's confuse the heck out of me.

I'll start a new thread when I get it sorted out. Apologies to all.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:59 AM   #11

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Yeah, you totally ruined my day!

For a post like this it's not really an issue, but personally I'm pretty hesitant to use cloud photo hosting services. For a while forums only allowed cloud photos, since they must not have had the storage space on the forum itself. Now that I think about it, forums are still the cloud...but I prefer uploading actual photos to the forum.

I have an old thread on a Toyota site showing how to do some electrical work to an old truck, and the photos were hosted through photo bucket, back in 2010 (or so). Just in the last month or so, the photos disappeared, and now that tutorial is borderline useless. Pretty sure I deleted all those photos from my computer at some point. Oh well.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #12

North Carolina
I've just always used hosting sites - mainly because it was what I knew and my PC skills are limited at best. I once overheard a new addition to our office staff complaining about me thinking I was too good to fill out my own expense reports. An old timer explained it was much easier for one of them to do it from scratch than to correct the mess I'd make of the Excel spreadsheet form.

At one time, I'd stack my mid-range IBM skills against anyone's but Bill Gates should be tried for sorcery.

Can anyone reading this confirm there's a picture of a hitch above this comment? Thanks
Old 11-23-2019, 03:03 PM   #13

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Can anyone reading this confirm there's a picture of a hitch above this comment? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Sorry, no pictures on my ipad.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:35 PM   #14

North Carolina
Thanks Dave / Paula - that one was from the cloud and flagged as having been synched. It has public permission but still may be some sort of authority problem as it shows up for me here but not for anyone else. Trying one directly from my PC as Glenn suggested earlier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6841 (2).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	132380
Old 11-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #15

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Cindy K View Post
Thanks Dave / Paula - that one was from the cloud and lagged as having been synched, It has public permission but still may be some sort of authority problem as it shows up for me. Trying one directly from my PC as Glenn suggested earlier.

Attachment 132380
Looks good.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #16

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Congratulations you now own Consumer Reports “worst pickup truck” award winner.....you just sold the most dependable pickup truck on the road.
Jury is still out on that Jeep truck but the Wrangler was considered a disaster by anyone I talked with who owned one.

I always do some research before I spend my hard earned money.
Television commercials tend to confuse the issue.
A subscription to Consumer Reports is a good investment.

Considering the fact that you had two Toyota trucks that served you well why on earth would you buy a Chevy ?
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #17

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
No Gladiator but did get a Colorado

Consumer reports would not be my go to authority. They have got it wrong many times. I wore out two of their fails. An Isuzu Trooper and A Suzuki Samurai. Both were good vehicles that were trashed by CR.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:57 PM   #18

North Carolina
Patrick, my take on the value of ratings by Consumer Reports, especially those related to things with which I have personal experience and knowledge, are much less positive than your's. I suppose it could be a somewhat useful tool for anyone with little to no expertise in a particular product under consideration but that's not the case here.

Why would I buy a Chevy rather than another Tacoma? Simple answer - the engine. Toyota switched from the 4.0L in the two I've owned to a 3.5L in 2016. I don't think my 3,500#+ Scamp fiver, that engine and the six speed auto make a good combination. The sweet spot for optimum torque on the smaller engine is just too high up the RPM scale for a good tow vehicle. I've heard this from late model Tacoma owners and even Toyota service techs so yeah, I've done my research. And their opinions carry a lot more weight with me than CR ever could, especially after several test drives.

For the record, I retired after forty years in the automotive industry, am pretty satisfied with the Wrangler I've owned for twenty years, I seldom watch TV much less the commercials and consider a subscription to Consumer Reports slightly below lottery tickets as a prudent form of investment.

Edit - Thanks Charlie. I had a Trooper as well. Sadly, no longer here but it was replaced with a full size Mitsubishi Montero, Now with 250K and still going strong. Consumer Reports didn't think much of them either IIRC.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:10 PM   #19

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Samurai and Trooper were rated Not Acceptable because they tip over easily, not because they were unreliable. The Samurai has an advantage out here in the forest - four people can tip it back up when it falls on its side. Both are awesome 4wheelers. Two ideas about reliability:
1) they do a reader survey of problems encountered, and put the results together from that. It's hard to visualize ~ how much worse or better~ a numeric value is, in my head. It may be easier for others.
2) It could be that some vehicles are used harder than others (trucks?) resulting in overall low scores.
3) CR rates our 4Runner poorly, saying it has poor handling and a rough ride - but is extremely reliable. Part of that is being an actual truck-based SUV, and the reliability part might be that fewer 4Runners make it offroad than do trucks. I'd just say that by their standards, all truck-based SUVs (there aren't many left) handle like trucks, because they are. That's fine, we knew what we were getting.
I hope your Colorado serves you well. I looked at them and wanted a diesel, but my better half wanted an SUV, so here we are.

P.S. I'm with you on the 3.5 engine and the 6-speed auto. My neighbor (electrical engineer) got one and didn't care for it - bought a device to alter the shift points. Tacoma was no longer on our list either, despite my having one for the last 19 years/180K miles. The 4Runner kept the 4.0/5-speed, and we plan on keeping it for 300K miles.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:15 AM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19 on order
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
I always do some research before I spend my hard earned money.
Television commercials tend to confuse the issue.
A subscription to Consumer Reports is a good investment.
Consumer Reports had to rig their "test" of the Samurai, in order to get the results they wanted. Then they lost in court when Suzuki sued them.

Their "unfavorable" rating of the Wrangler was based mainly on the fact that it did not drive like a car. Isn't that the point of the Wrangler?

I've never talked to a Wrangler owner who didn't like their Jeep. I like mine too.

Reliability reports are fine, but I would never buy a car based on Consumer Reports. Toyotas are fine vehicles and known for reliability, but they can be expensive to buy or fix, and too cautious, or behind in technology. They also don't offer an inline six diesel in their midsize, and that is a very favorable design.