Not a happy camper....crash while towing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-29-2015, 04:22 PM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post

But wow, $500. CAN is $300. more than the Magellan offering which is now on sale at Canadian Tire for $199. I know the Garmin is creme de creme but that is a lot of dollars. Will wait and see if they can bring the price down.

Looks like its actually $395-400 from US retailers.. but I've been reading the reviews and the owners manual, and I am seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on this.

It has a few quirks and issues, and is not cheap, but it's looking pretty good overall.

(OK, so I lied about not watching this thread.. I can't help myself)

Old 07-29-2015, 04:46 PM   #16
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

It has a few quirks and issues, and is not cheap, but it's looking pretty good overall.

(OK, so I lied about not watching this thread.. I can't help myself)
Yup, it does a lot of stuff Gordon. Hummmmmm!

Old 07-29-2015, 08:48 PM   #17

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
After watching the video a few times, I concluded that the big truck (the dash cameraman) slowed down eventually, but I would be slowing down hard as soon as somebody out of control passed me, in order to keep distance.

Only if that red tow vehicle rolled, would I think of possibly stopping and offering assistance. The truck driver was right to go on, but we do not know the rest of the story.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:08 PM   #18

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Everyone new to towing a RV Travel Trailer should be required to look at a few of these video recordings of what can go wrong when towing.

This case suggests the following: no sway control....lack of trailer brake controller and/or lack of knowledge on connecting it...he never used it to control the situation. I'd even guess no weight distribution system either. A real BOZO.

Happy Safe Camping!
Old 07-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
No BOZO????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
(clip) This case suggests the following: no sway control....lack of trailer brake controller and/or lack of knowledge on connecting it...he never used it to control the situation. I'd even guess no weight distribution system either. A real BOZO.

Happy Safe Camping!
I think that you are jumping to a lot of conclusions about what may have caused the accident and about the skill of the driver. If you watch the video you will see that the trailers brake lights never go on. This suggests that either the plug fell out or that they forgot to connect it when they last hitched.

Suggesting that they didn't have a brake controlled is a bit far fetched.

The driver may not be a "Bozo" at all, especially if what happened was that the 7 pin connector came out.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #20

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
I have been doing the RV towing thing since 1985 and I have a system to insure that the "plug" stays connected....the video shows a BOZO in action...can't fix stupid.

You might note I did say the video "suggested" ...ergo my conclusions.

Memo: if the plug falls out you don't have any brake control to the trailer or any brake lights!
Old 07-30-2015, 03:41 PM   #21

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
My recollection of the instructions for setting up the Prodigy P2 is that it carried a warning that when the manual lever is used to apply the brakes that the trailer brake lights will not be on so you should take care that there is nobody behind you when testing the brake controller setting.
So, maybe it was being used. If it was or wasn't, who's going prove it?
Old 07-30-2015, 03:55 PM   #22

California
WOW, Well I try to not jump to conclusions before all the evidence is in... I think that we call that "Innocent until proven Guilty".

But, if you need a "System" to keep the plug from falling out, it's a sure possibility that others, including moi don't have such a "System", and we just connect the plug as the manufacturer intended.

I have seen a lot happen on the road over the past 37 years of RV'ing, including seeing perfectly good parts fail without warning.

And, as you may have guessed, I'm not real big on labeling.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:05 PM   #23

California
Brake lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
My recollection of the instructions for setting up the Prodigy P2 is that it carried a warning that when the manual lever is used to apply the brakes that the trailer brake lights will not be on so you should take care that there is nobody behind you when testing the brake controller setting.
So, maybe it was being used. If it was or wasn't, who's going prove it?
I would have thought that the stop lights would have come on with the trucks service brakes that the driver surely hit before everything came apart.

Unless someone wants to dig out the Idaho State Patrol accident records, I am sure that we will never know what cause the accident.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:31 PM   #24
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
And, as you may have guessed, I'm not real big on labeling.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:34 PM   #25

ex VT, now CO
Lots of new comments here, so I had to go back and see this video again. The location looks like somewhere on the high plains, on a straight and flat interstate. That is where the 18wheelers go 70 or 80 mph. Crosswinds could be 40 mph, easily. It shows clearly that the trailer oscillation really gets going just as it passes the truck. The trucks displace a lot of air and create a bow pressure wave. That trailer may have been on the verge of instability, probably for a long time. Then the moron decides to pass the big one - hello, anybody home? Maybe he did not touch the brakes because he was scared out of his wits. I would be. And that would have made things even worse.

Those bow waves created by the trucks, or the crosswinds have a much bigger effect on boxy stick built trailers than the egg-shaped that we here like so much. And in some cases even the vortex shedding from the back of the stick trailer could be enough to help drive the oscillation.

Another lesson here is about the inherent stability of the 5th wheel towing. Are there any other than Scamp and Escape in the FGRV category? When I was trying to decide what to get, I watched many videos like this one, and they helped me make up my mind pretty quickly. I wanted something easy to tow, having never done it before.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Bigfoot used to make several fifth wheel models. They come up in the used market occasionally.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:59 PM   #27

California
The Youtube clip is labeled I-86, Idaho. I-86 (Idaho) runs West from Pocatello for only 63 miles until it intersects I-84 in the southern part of the state. That's pretty flat across there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_86_(Idaho)

The real bad news about Idaho for trailer peeps:
"Idaho has one of the highest speed limits in the United States. Only 1 state legally allows speeds faster than the Idaho maximum speed limit of 80 miles per hour."

The speed limit for towed trailers is: "The same as posted for automobiles"
Old 07-31-2015, 08:36 AM   #28

ex VT, now CO
The domain of "legal" and the domain of "smart" have a small overlap.