Novice at towing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yup the new ones are rated at 33 mpg and my old ones where not rated that high but to be honest I do not think I ever came close to getting the advertised mpgs on any of my Outbacks.

There are a number of less costly smaller tow vehicles than the Highlander that would work.

You need to watch it though as many differ depending of which model/engine you purchase and if its factory tow package or not. Also in recent years most of the auto manufactures started doing an agreed towing test and some may or may not argue it is the reason why some of the smaller SUV's in the last few years have had their towing capacity down graded.

I know a party pulling a 17' Escape with a Toyota Venza (3500b) tow capacity and is happy with it . Also a number of folks here are pulling 16' & 17' with RAV4's & Ford Escapes but again you need to watch which model/engine you look at and the year as they have changed their ratings. The Chev Equinox/GMC Terrain are both 3500lbs I think. Jeep Cherokee & Mazda CX9 might be a couple of others worth looking at.

If your willing to go used to stay in your price point that opens the door up to a number of others options as well - Volvo XC60 or XC70, Acura MDX, Lexus RX350, VW Touareg to name a few. The later one would be my first choose if I were to ever win the Lotto. ;-)
We recently looked at a Chevy Equinox and Dodge Journey as a new vehicle for my wife
We were told that the Equinox / Journey had a maximum tow capacity of 1500 lbs. Maybe I will have to check the specs again
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We recently looked at a Chevy Equinox and Dodge Journey as a new vehicle for my wife
We were told that the Equinox / Journey had a maximum tow capacity of 1500 lbs. Maybe I will have to check the specs again
Steve it was my understanding when looking at them that the 4 cyl was only 1500lbs but the optional V6 model was 3500lbs.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:27 PM   #23

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Every choice has its own pros and cons. Either save gas with limit load and less safe on road or pay more of gas with max load, safer on road not put into account of small towing vehicle ended up working harder and could be result of big bill for repair.... I used to tow my 13footer with a little 4banger Toyota for several years then switch to a Chevy minivan, V6. It turns out the latter was best choice. Pulling 13footer, equipped with its own brake, the minivan wouldn't feel a thing as in my experience. Now I load to the max, even fire-woods in minivan and with 5 bicycles in trailer, cruising hw more easily and...w/o truckers turning their coconuts like when I towed with little Toyota, previously. Just a share-
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Steve it was my understanding when looking at them that the 4 cyl was only 1500lbs but the optional V6 model was 3500lbs.
I was wrong ! A properly equipped Equinox is 3500 lbs and a Journey is 2500 lbs. . The 2 dealers we talked with must have given me the towing specs for the vehicles they had in Stock .I apologize for my error. That being said ,my son owns an Equinox which I have driven on occasion towing his utility trailer. I don't know if I would be comfortable towing 3500 lbs with an Equinox after my experience towing the utility trailer.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:10 PM   #25

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Perhaps a brake controller and brakes on the trailer?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:23 PM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Novice at towing

Don't forget the Korean makes as well. Both Hyundai and Kia make models that could make a good tow vehicle for a 16' fiberglass trailer. I believe the Kia Sorrento got pretty high marks in recent CR testing. We've been driving a Hyundai Santa Fe for the past few weeks while our Pilot is in for repair of rear end collision damage. The base 4-banger gets excellent mileage, though I think you'd want the turbo 4 or the V6 for towing.

Speaking of the Pilot, we purchased ours as a low mileage Honda certified used vehicle for thousands less than a new one. It has served us well. A Highlander was also on my short list, but much harder to find used with the tow package and more expensive than a Pilot.

A number of forum members tow with a Ford Escape Ecoboost.

Lots of good options out there.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:29 PM   #27

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Try to estimate how many miles you think you'll drive when not towing. Towing MPG will be very similar for most of the gas engine powered vehicles you might consider. In other words, if you drive 10,000 miles/year without the trailer and you compare one vehicle @ 33 mpg to another @ (let's say) 24 mpg, that's a difference of just 113 gallons. Even when gas returns to $3.50/gallon, that's only $400 extra. That is a small price to pay for the extra power and towing capability of a somewhat larger vehicle. Some excellent vehicle suggestions have already been made. I'll add the minivan category (Sienna, Odyssey, etc).

Since you're buying something anyway, might as well buy something that has power and tow rating to spare; you'll enjoy the ride much more. And if you ever drive in the Rocky Mountains, you'll really be glad you went bigger.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:14 PM   #28

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieGErickson View Post
Hey all,

I'm going to take early retirement soon, and I'm getting a 16' Scamp or Casita or some other fiberglass RV (I haven't nailed down exactly which way I'm going to go), and I'm trading in my CR-V for a Subaru Outback since it will pull up to 2700 lbs.

My question is, how difficult will the trailer be to pull with the Outback? I'm a novice at pulling, as I've only pulled a trailer a few times, but I'm a quick learner so I'm not too concerned about it. I just want to make it as easy as possible.

What are your thoughts about my plan? Will the Outback pull well? I'll be all across the west from the deserts to the mountains, so I'll be pulling in a variety of conditions.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!

Leslie

You need to find the trailer you want and the exact model, then figure out the numbers which include GCWR and GVWR, and then get the tow vehicle, not first.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:01 AM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
I wondered about that. The new Outbacks are rated 33 on the highway, and I've averaged 31 with my CR-V (rated at 32) over the past two summers with more than 10K miles. But I know the Outback wouldn't get near that mileage towing.

The Highlander is something I'll look at, but then I'm looking at a much higher price tag for the vehicle - I wanted to stay at about $30K at the highest. I'll start looking for used ones this summer.

Thanks Carol for your input! I find it so valuable!

Leslie
MPG is an interesting consideration. We towed three different trailers with our 2004 Honda CRV, all the trailers in the 16 foot range. Over 8 years we averaged 20-21 mpg towing. Typically we drove at 55-60 miles per hour.

Though getting good mpg is important, we appreciated the reliability of the CRV more than the mpg. In 250,000 miles we never had a driveline repair, actually the same clutch.

We found when traveling, towing miles would be about half the miles we drove, the balance being driving around and exploring miles. It's the combination of both forms of driving that counts.

We now tow with a Honda Odyssey, a more powerful and more comfortable vehicle than our CRV though not as versatile in terms of a wider range of road types.

A good part of choosing a tow vehicle relates to it's primary use. If you're like us and on the road most of the time you seek one type of vehicle. If the tow vehicle is used primarily for driving to work you choose another type.

We also keep our vehicles for 10 years/250,000 miles and our tow vehicle is our only vehicle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:24 AM   #30

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Scamp 16'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
You need to find the trailer you want and the exact model, then figure out the numbers which include GCWR and GVWR, and then get the tow vehicle, not first.
Great advice! I realize that's the right order of things. I think I've decided I want the 16', and then I switch and think I want the 13'. I have to see them in person I think before I'll make the plunge, and I won't be able to get up the Scamp plant until the first week of April. It's hard not to succumb to the pull of finding a new vehicle when that's local, but you are absolutely right!

Right now I'm thinking of three scenarios -

13' + Outback (2700lb/200lb tongue) - I like the smallness and efficiency
13' + Toyota Tacoma - I like the smallness and the towing power
16' + Toyota Tacoma - I like the idea of more room and towing power, but will give up some of the ability to go places I want to frequent that are off the main area. I also think smaller trailer will be easier to pull for a novice.

And maybe I'll find a used Highlander or some other SUV, but I'd rather a truck than a mid-sized SUV I think.

You all have been so helpful!
LeslieGErickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:04 AM   #31

Name: Linda
Trailer: inTech
Kansas
for real peace of mind, go with the most engine power you can afford. it has saved me on many harrowing occasions.
lrb945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I was wrong ! A properly equipped Equinox is 3500 lbs and a Journey is 2500 lbs. . The 2 dealers we talked with must have given me the towing specs for the vehicles they had in Stock .I apologize for my error. That being said ,my son owns an Equinox which I have driven on occasion towing his utility trailer. I don't know if I would be comfortable towing 3500 lbs with an Equinox after my experience towing the utility trailer.
LOL no problem Steven when I was shopping for a new tug I found that the sales staff more often than not did not really know what they were talking about when you asked about a vehicles towing specs. Was given a great deal of misinformation. Always best to ask to see the manual and read it yourself to see what it actually says. As I mentioned many of the vehicles have different tow ratings depending on what model or optional engine they come with.

Personally have no idea as to actual towing with many of the vehicles I listed as possible alternatives or the OP to take a look at, only went as far as sitting in many of them ;-)
Old 02-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Great advice! I realize that's the right order of things. I think I've decided I want the 16', and then I switch and think I want the 13'. I have to see them in person I think before I'll make the plunge, and I won't be able to get up the Scamp plant until the first week of April.
When I was trying to decide on which size Scamp I wanted I just kept my eye on Craigslist and went and looked at any Scamp that came up close to me even if it did not have the options I was after or was the wrong age etc.

Scamps have not changed much at all over the years so you will get a pretty good idea as to whether or not a certain size will work for you even if the trailer is 25 years old. A new one is not going to feel much different sitting in it - the material on the cushions will be a different colour though
Old 02-17-2016, 02:13 PM   #34

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
I am picking up my new Toyota Forerunner this afternoon to tow my 17' Casita... looking forward to some longer distance trips as well as tackling the Colorado mtns with it!
Flyfisher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #35

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
FWIW, we tow our little Compact II with either a 4 cal Forester or a 4 cyl Tacoma X-cab
Mileage is equivalent car to truck. Neither one was ordered with the tow package.
What we notice is the truck handles the job with a lot less "effort". We notice this especially in mountain driving. Trucks are geared differently.
Another plus with the truck is we have room for camp chairs and awnings.
Obviously our little camper is much lighter than what you are considering. But I think the difference between the two vehicles is still enlightening. It is always better to have more ability than the minimum needed for the job!

Planning is half the fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #36

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the input!

I hate giving up gas mileage when I'm not towing, but it looks like I might have to. I was thinking a Toyota Tecoma for a pick up or maybe a Honda Pilot or Toyota SUV would work.

I don't think I want to go any smaller on the trailer since I'll be living in it.

Leslie
We tow with a Tacoma and it is a very capable TV and reasonable on fuel when not. 18mpg towing and 25mpg when not. Pilot/Ridgeline from Honda, one an SUV the other a lite truck would also do well on fuel and be solid TV choices.

I guess the point here is that having a tow rating more around 3500-5000 pounds just gives you sooooo much freedom of choice when trailer shopping. I agree with the posters above that a 200 lb tongue weight limitation is simply a suffocating restriction.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote