Novice at towing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-16-2016, 12:12 PM   #15

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Iowa
Thanks Wendy!

I will be solo, and I had originally thought the 13' would be the way to go. But as I've been figuring out what to take and what to store in long-term storage, I realize I might be more comfortable with a little extra room.

There are just so many decisions! I so appreciate your input and I plan to head up to Scamp in April to check out the various trailers and decide what I can or can't do.

Ideally, actually, the 13' with the Outback would be great, but it'll be even a more drastic adjustment.

I plan to choose inexpensive, forestry campgrounds a lot, so their facilities are quite limited. Because of that, I thought I'd prefer to have a small shower/toilet. But I won't be using it when I'm somewhere with facilities of course.

Thanks again, and any other input is welcome!

Leslie

Old 02-16-2016, 12:14 PM   #16
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Hello Leslie and welome to the forum Have you met RVSue? If not you should. Having never towed before she bought a Casita and walked off to look for America. Enjoy, Raz

rvsue and her canine crew | Living on less and enjoying life more

Old 02-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieGErickson View Post
Hey all,

I'm going to take early retirement soon, and I'm getting a 16' Scamp or Casita or some other fiberglass RV (I haven't nailed down exactly which way I'm going to go), and I'm trading in my CR-V for a Subaru Outback since it will pull up to 2700 lbs.

My question is, how difficult will the trailer be to pull with the Outback? I'm a novice at pulling, as I've only pulled a trailer a few times, but I'm a quick learner so I'm not too concerned about it. I just want to make it as easy as possible.

What are your thoughts about my plan? Will the Outback pull well? I'll be all across the west from the deserts to the mountains, so I'll be pulling in a variety of conditions.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!

Leslie
We pulled a Scamp 16 and equivalents all over North America 8 years with our 2004 Honda CRV including mountains, deserts and dirt roads.

We had 2400 pounds on the Scamp 16's axle and 200 pounds on the tongue and never had an issue. As I've written many times on the site we had to properly inflate trailer and tow vehicle tires and did a number of small things to ensure a solid tow.

always glad to answer questions.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:16 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Tennessee
I would say that everybody has thoroughly covered the "Pulling" of a trailer.

Pulling is relatively easy. Stopping on the other hand is a complete different issue. Yes trailer brakes help however you should consider "Pulling" your trailer with a vehicle that is "Larger" than your trailer and capable of STOPPING your trailer WITHOUT trailer brakes. If you tow vehicle is capable of "stopping" with your trailer it is certainly capable of "pulling" your trailer!
Old 02-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
I wondered about that. The new Outbacks are rated 33 on the highway, and I've averaged 31 with my CR-V (rated at 32) over the past two summers with more than 10K miles. But I know the Outback wouldn't get near that mileage towing.

Leslie

Yup the new ones are rated at 33 mpg and my old ones where not rated that high but to be honest I do not think I ever came close to getting the advertised mpgs on any of my Outbacks.

There are a number of less costly smaller tow vehicles than the Highlander that would work.

You need to watch it though as many differ depending of which model/engine you purchase and if its factory tow package or not. Also in recent years most of the auto manufactures started doing an agreed towing test and some may or may not argue it is the reason why some of the smaller SUV's in the last few years have had their towing capacity down graded.

I know a party pulling a 17' Escape with a Toyota Venza (3500b) tow capacity and is happy with it . Also a number of folks here are pulling 16' & 17' with RAV4's & Ford Escapes but again you need to watch which model/engine you look at and the year as they have changed their ratings. The Chev Equinox/GMC Terrain are both 3500lbs I think. Jeep Cherokee & Mazda CX9 might be a couple of others worth looking at.

If your willing to go used to stay in your price point that opens the door up to a number of others options as well - Volvo XC60 or XC70, Acura MDX, Lexus RX350, VW Touareg to name a few. The later one would be my first choose if I were to ever win the Lotto. ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #20

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
I would say that everybody has thoroughly covered the "Pulling" of a trailer.

Pulling is relatively easy. Stopping on the other hand is a complete different issue. Yes trailer brakes help however you should consider "Pulling" your trailer with a vehicle that is "Larger" than your trailer and capable of STOPPING your trailer WITHOUT trailer brakes. If you tow vehicle is capable of "stopping" with your trailer it is certainly capable of "pulling" your trailer!
Thats the beauty of the new tow test that all the majority of auto manufactures have been putting their vehicles through in recent years. Part of that test is the ability to stop what they claim it can tow.

Having said that I know when this topic has come up previously that there are some here that assume that because a vehicle is smallish in design it does not weigh as much as another larger vehicle and thus can not be capable of having the same stopping power. That in my experience is an assumption that is incorrect. For example the vehicle the OP originally asked about in many model years weighed close to the same and in a couple of model years actual out weighed a VERY popular mid sized pick up truck that I have never heard anyone question its ability to stop a 16' trailer ;-)
Old 02-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #21

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yup the new ones are rated at 33 mpg and my old ones where not rated that high but to be honest I do not think I ever came close to getting the advertised mpgs on any of my Outbacks.

There are a number of less costly smaller tow vehicles than the Highlander that would work.

You need to watch it though as many differ depending of which model/engine you purchase and if its factory tow package or not. Also in recent years most of the auto manufactures started doing an agreed towing test and some may or may not argue it is the reason why some of the smaller SUV's in the last few years have had their towing capacity down graded.

I know a party pulling a 17' Escape with a Toyota Venza (3500b) tow capacity and is happy with it . Also a number of folks here are pulling 16' & 17' with RAV4's & Ford Escapes but again you need to watch which model/engine you look at and the year as they have changed their ratings. The Chev Equinox/GMC Terrain are both 3500lbs I think. Jeep Cherokee & Mazda CX9 might be a couple of others worth looking at.

If your willing to go used to stay in your price point that opens the door up to a number of others options as well - Volvo XC60 or XC70, Acura MDX, Lexus RX350, VW Touareg to name a few. The later one would be my first choose if I were to ever win the Lotto. ;-)
We recently looked at a Chevy Equinox and Dodge Journey as a new vehicle for my wife
We were told that the Equinox / Journey had a maximum tow capacity of 1500 lbs. Maybe I will have to check the specs again
Old 02-16-2016, 05:08 PM   #22

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We recently looked at a Chevy Equinox and Dodge Journey as a new vehicle for my wife
We were told that the Equinox / Journey had a maximum tow capacity of 1500 lbs. Maybe I will have to check the specs again
Steve it was my understanding when looking at them that the 4 cyl was only 1500lbs but the optional V6 model was 3500lbs.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:27 PM   #23

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Every choice has its own pros and cons. Either save gas with limit load and less safe on road or pay more of gas with max load, safer on road not put into account of small towing vehicle ended up working harder and could be result of big bill for repair.... I used to tow my 13footer with a little 4banger Toyota for several years then switch to a Chevy minivan, V6. It turns out the latter was best choice. Pulling 13footer, equipped with its own brake, the minivan wouldn't feel a thing as in my experience. Now I load to the max, even fire-woods in minivan and with 5 bicycles in trailer, cruising hw more easily and...w/o truckers turning their coconuts like when I towed with little Toyota, previously. Just a share-
Old 02-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #24

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Steve it was my understanding when looking at them that the 4 cyl was only 1500lbs but the optional V6 model was 3500lbs.
I was wrong ! A properly equipped Equinox is 3500 lbs and a Journey is 2500 lbs. . The 2 dealers we talked with must have given me the towing specs for the vehicles they had in Stock .I apologize for my error. That being said ,my son owns an Equinox which I have driven on occasion towing his utility trailer. I don't know if I would be comfortable towing 3500 lbs with an Equinox after my experience towing the utility trailer.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:10 PM   #25

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Perhaps a brake controller and brakes on the trailer?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 02-16-2016, 06:23 PM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Novice at towing

Don't forget the Korean makes as well. Both Hyundai and Kia make models that could make a good tow vehicle for a 16' fiberglass trailer. I believe the Kia Sorrento got pretty high marks in recent CR testing. We've been driving a Hyundai Santa Fe for the past few weeks while our Pilot is in for repair of rear end collision damage. The base 4-banger gets excellent mileage, though I think you'd want the turbo 4 or the V6 for towing.

Speaking of the Pilot, we purchased ours as a low mileage Honda certified used vehicle for thousands less than a new one. It has served us well. A Highlander was also on my short list, but much harder to find used with the tow package and more expensive than a Pilot.

A number of forum members tow with a Ford Escape Ecoboost.

Lots of good options out there.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:29 PM   #27

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Try to estimate how many miles you think you'll drive when not towing. Towing MPG will be very similar for most of the gas engine powered vehicles you might consider. In other words, if you drive 10,000 miles/year without the trailer and you compare one vehicle @ 33 mpg to another @ (let's say) 24 mpg, that's a difference of just 113 gallons. Even when gas returns to $3.50/gallon, that's only $400 extra. That is a small price to pay for the extra power and towing capability of a somewhat larger vehicle. Some excellent vehicle suggestions have already been made. I'll add the minivan category (Sienna, Odyssey, etc).

Since you're buying something anyway, might as well buy something that has power and tow rating to spare; you'll enjoy the ride much more. And if you ever drive in the Rocky Mountains, you'll really be glad you went bigger.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:14 PM   #28

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Hey all,

I'm going to take early retirement soon, and I'm getting a 16' Scamp or Casita or some other fiberglass RV (I haven't nailed down exactly which way I'm going to go), and I'm trading in my CR-V for a Subaru Outback since it will pull up to 2700 lbs.

My question is, how difficult will the trailer be to pull with the Outback? I'm a novice at pulling, as I've only pulled a trailer a few times, but I'm a quick learner so I'm not too concerned about it. I just want to make it as easy as possible.

What are your thoughts about my plan? Will the Outback pull well? I'll be all across the west from the deserts to the mountains, so I'll be pulling in a variety of conditions.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!

Leslie

You need to find the trailer you want and the exact model, then figure out the numbers which include GCWR and GVWR, and then get the tow vehicle, not first.