OK to tow with Subaru - mixed messages - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2017, 06:23 AM   #21

Name: Nicole
Trailer: Eco
Colorado
I have a 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6 Limited. I have the option to put the car in manual mode and shift on my own which I do when towing. So far it has towed our little camper very well, but I'm not sure I would trust it up mountains. Our trailer sits very low to the ground.
BrowningSchubarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:09 PM   #22

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We tow our 2011 Scamp 13' with a 2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan (we bought the car before knowing we would be trailer owners). The trailer has brakes and U-Haul installed our towing package. Towing has been uneventful. The only problem is that because the tow bar extends behind the car and the car is low to the ground it scrapes over the shortest of speed bumps and deep dips, so we drive carefully. We are considering purchasing a Subaru Crosstrek as our next tow vehicle. This is basically, an Impreza which has higher ground clearance. There is a forum member who lives in Canada and swears about how good the Crosstrek is for towing a 13' Scamp.
WE LOVE OUR SUBARU and WE LOVE OUR SCAMP!

(Photo taken in wine country of Lodi, California)
Attached Thumbnails
Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 049.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Compact Jr and Teardrop Trailer
Washington
We have a 2014 Outback with the CVT and a Compact Jr. We use the Outback to tow it home the first time when we bought the JR. The trailer was empty but it towed just fine the 350 mile we towed it. The trip included mostly freeway driving at 55-60 and going over a mountain pass. The only issue we had was gas mileage. We got 19.5 MPG towing an empty trailer. I have never towed it loaded.

Today I tow it with a 2015 Tacoma. Much better choice in my opinion. The gas mileage is not quite as good (1-16 MPG) but I am able to haul other stuff.

Jeremy
rainjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:03 AM   #24

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I would throw in this link to trailer weights in the real world. Weights collected at FGRV rallies so they reflect what the camper will weigh in use as opposed to empty or in brochures (dry weight used by camper industry is a work of fiction).

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

I have a scamp 13 no bath, no sink holding tanks so toward the lighter weight for a scamp 13. I tow with a V6 Escape rated to tow 3,500 lbs. Camper is well under 2,000 lbs. When it came to stopping let us just say the pucker factor was starting to put a ridge in the drivers seat. Wasn't "unsafe" but I had to leave a lot of room for any braking maneuver and a light turning yellow would like to give dear wife a heart attack because stopping that fast not really an option.

When I replaced the axle I got one with brakes. Added a prodigy 2 controller and the difference is night and day. The Escape stops faster with the trailer than without. And best of all stopping on a downhill no longer feels like a near death experience.

+1 on the vehicle taking more wear and tear the harder you make it work. Closer you are to towing limits the more likely you are to experience failure of some part or another. Brakes, transmission, cooling etc. However all that said if you are willing to take it easy, don't plan on big trips etc. then you might well be able to make the Subaru work out ok, at least until you can find a deal on something more suitable.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:12 AM   #25

Name: Sunshine33
Trailer: Scamp
Delaware
Registry
We have a Subaru Outback and are pulling a 13ft Scamp with no problems.
sUNSHINE33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #26

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sUNSHINE33 View Post
We have a Subaru Outback and are pulling a 13ft Scamp with no problems.
If you could give us the model year, engine and tranny, this would be more useful as people consider the possibilities. Also, how much does your Scamp weigh, loaded to travel? Tongue weight?

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:48 PM   #27

Name: Sunshine33
Trailer: Scamp
Delaware
Registry
Towing with Subaru Outback

We have a 2016 Subaru Outback. 2.5i engine, towing capacity 2700-3000 lbs, tongue weight 200 lbs. This is our first summer with our Scamp 13'. We've made three trips so far with no problems. If we add our bikes or kayaks, we will just distribute the weight. At the time we purchased the car, we had no intentions of getting a trailer. We've only tent camped in the past. My husband said he would have gotten the bigger engine had we known at the time. But, as I said, no problems so far!
sUNSHINE33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #28

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
We had an 08 Subaru Outback 2.5 with the old 4 speed auto transmission. We originally towed a 1750 lb GVWR pop-up camper with it and it was a great match for that. Seven years ago we purchased a 16' Scamp and picked it up with our 04 Dodge Dakota V-8, but tried using the Subaru on a few trips to see how it would perform.
Our Subaru did fine with the 16' Scamp, the only issues were that we needed to remove the dual propane tank and lighten the load to ensure we kept below the 200/2700 lb limits on the Subaru. That worked fine until we retired and started taking longer trips with more boondocking, since our dual tanks, extra supplies, golf cart battery, and carrying water put our Scamp up to 2900 lbs and 300 lb tongue weight.
We still use the Dakota, but now have traded the Subaru in for a Dodge Durango with V6 that can pull up to 6200 lbs. A few days after we purchased the Durango we found out that Subaru is coming out with a bigger Subaru Ascent next year, which hopefully will have better towing specs than the 200 lb tongue weight limit the Outback has.
Attached Thumbnails
Subaru with kayak and Scamp.jpg  
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #29

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sUNSHINE33 View Post
We have a 2016 Subaru Outback. 2.5i engine, towing capacity 2700-3000 lbs, tongue weight 200 lbs. This is our first summer with our Scamp 13'. We've made three trips so far with no problems. If we add our bikes or kayaks, we will just distribute the weight. At the time we purchased the car, we had no intentions of getting a trailer. We've only tent camped in the past. My husband said he would have gotten the bigger engine had we known at the time. But, as I said, no problems so far!
I think you did fine with the 4 vs 6. The 6 would have cost about $5,000 more, gets 5 MPG less, and only increases the tow weight by 300 lbs to 3000 with no increase in tongue weight.
Since Subaru suggests a minimum 8% tongue weight, and limits tongue weight on either engine to 200 lbs, then 2500 lbs is the realistic maximum you should tow.
Interestingly, the 2018 Subaru 6 cylinders now only show a 2700 lb tow limit, just like the 4.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:50 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I had my Subaru for 13 years. Got tired of fixing it, because it wasn't up to the task of towing. I liked the vehicle and obviously so do many others, but I think Subaru needs to work on tow capacity.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:25 AM   #31

Name: Shane
Trailer: 1998 Scamp 13
Colorado
Smile 2014 Forester and a 13 scamp

I recently drove from Colorado Springs to Portland Oregon to pick up my Scamp.
I drove back through SaltLake City then through Wyoming to Ft. Collins and then on to the Springs. I didn't have a hard time, had to take it easy on some of the major inclines. I do also have brakes on the Scamp.
I got the warranty letter from Subaru two weeks ago and sent in a claim as I had work done when I got back prior to receiving the letter. Just got a email from them this am that my reimbursement will be arriving within the week.
iceskater10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:21 AM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceskater10 View Post
I recently drove from Colorado Springs to Portland Oregon to pick up my Scamp.
I drove back through SaltLake City then through Wyoming to Ft. Collins and then on to the Springs. I didn't have a hard time, had to take it easy on some of the major inclines. I do also have brakes on the Scamp.
I got the warranty letter from Subaru two weeks ago and sent in a claim as I had work done when I got back prior to receiving the letter. Just got a email from them this am that my reimbursement will be arriving within the week.
Happy to hear that Subaru was quick to respond and in a positive way, sounds like the transmission stalling issue is not caused by towing, but interesting that your problem didn't show up until after your towing trip.
Incidentally, our new Dodge Durango engine shuts down when we come to a stop, but then it's designed that way to help improve MPG, and starts again as soon as I take my foot off the brake. :-)
Old 07-22-2017, 07:49 AM   #33

Name: Shane
Trailer: 1998 Scamp 13
Colorado
This was a new mechanic. Prior to the trip I had an oil change and tires balanced. After I had to get another oil change and asked him to check transmission as I was told by the PO to keep that looked at. So not sure when the issue started.
iceskater10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:07 AM   #34

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I had my Subaru for 13 years. Got tired of fixing it, because it wasn't up to the task of towing. I liked the vehicle and obviously so do many others, but I think Subaru needs to work on tow capacity.
Which Subaru did you have Glenn, and what were you hauling?

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:56 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
So long ago.
I think it was a Loyale wagon, with four-wheel-drive, manual trans. I towed a small tent trailer or a boat trailer. Neither had brakes.
Engaging 4WD was fine on gravel ( usually ), but on pavement, the engine would die if you tried to turn sharply, due to tire scrub. To get it out of 4WD you had to reverse about 10 feet.
Cost $300 repeatedly for brake jobs.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #36

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Cost $300 repeatedly for brake jobs.
I'll bet! You know how often we get the question, "Do I need trailer brakes?" A common response, beyond the question of road safety, is that it saves on the more expensive TV brake jobs.

Thanks for the info. If we are all more complete on the information we provide, our experience will be of greater value to others.

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #37

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I couldn't even feel the Campster behind the Subaru when it came to braking. But I do feel the Escape if the brakes aren't connected. Difference of 1000 lbs. I have no problems stopping the Subaru (2012 manual) with the Escape not braked but I wouldn't want that wear on my brakes and I wouldn't want to make an emergency stop. I did not see any excess brake wear towing the Campster, though.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter jr, subaru, towing