Old Volkswagens- hauling right! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
RICK H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #22

Old 12-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #23

Name: Jo
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Texas
Registry
Loved seeing the VW pick-up. We bought my youngest daughter a red VW pick-up, back in the 80's. It was her first "car" and she loved it. She never really got over the truck preference, however, she is a mommy of two now, and has to drive a car- seat hauler. Very neat tow-ers...what could beat the vintage trailers and vehicles. JO
Jo R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
I've got a few things to say, the first is- WOW!
Secondly, thanks for posting those pictures!

Did you build that tow hitch? I've never seen one like it.

Mine isn't going to be anywhere/ anything like it. (Got to go out and get my camera).

I thought you said you have a 1915 in your truck. Do you think a 1776 with the original tranny will pull ok?

Side note- I also have an Allstate trailer - no box, though. I picked it up for $50 on Craigslist.

Looks like we have a few things in common!

Thanks again -Mike
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #25

Sorry Mike, didn't mean to hijack your thread. My hitch was custom made at a shop that makes drag cars. There is a guy on the Samba that sells some pretty heavy duty hitches, they replace your bumper brackets and bolt solid to factory frame holes. A couple guys in one of my clubs use them. Feel free to call me any time, I love to talk about VWs. Plus the weather is crappy up here.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:10 AM   #26

I was typing while you guys were posting. My original engine was a "built" 1641cc. Oil issues have that one back on stand. I think a 1776 would be good as long as you have all the proper tins in place and keep speeds low. these trucks were strong not fast. Sit back and enjoy the trip, but beware of all the people trying to take pics and give you thumbs up. Some of them aren't the best drivers when they aren't multitasking.
I got my Allstate off craigslist for $75 with a spare tire and axle assembly. I hope to "FIX-IT-UP A LIITLE" over the winter.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #27

Louisiana
Registry
Got the camera. Here's my nice looking, but totally useless bumper pull.
I took some pics of the underside but they are blurry. Suffice to say, this is not what I would try to pull a camper with.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #28

Louisiana
Registry
This ugly duckling though, I think will pull a 13' footer. It is 1/4" plate steel and bolts through the frame. Tongue weight says max 200lb.s and max trailer weight 2,000 lb.s Thoughts?
Old 12-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #29

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Whose hijacking? For those of us who are interested in VWs, this thread provides info in one place. Now, if I live long enough, and we get going on my pickup (It was my birthday gift.), I have one thread to go to. Trouble is, we need VW in the thread title. Maybe we should tell a moderator to change it.

And I am jealous as heck of both your rigs!

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #30

Louisiana
Registry
If you can, have the mods change it to "Old VW's- hauling right!"
Old 12-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #31

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
If you can, have the mods change it to "Old VW's- hauling right!"
The search function needs the key word to be at least 4 characters long.

I spelled out Volkswagen and changed the title for you.
Frederick.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #32

Louisiana
Registry
Thanks Frederick! This site is great!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #33

Registry
Now this thread is not hijacked. Mike can post his progress and if Rick has any pointers, he can add those. And all of the classic VW lovers can benefit. We may need it soon. We may need to get our '68 VW pickup going, so we have a third vehicle that is trustworthy. I spent last evening saving Kevin who was driving our '69 Beetle. I was driving our VW Eurovan, because my 2007 Beetle was in the shop.

There, for anyone interested (Ed?), you now know all our VW herd. We have a '68 VW pickup that does not run, a '69 VW Beetle autostickshift that did run until last night, a 2003 VW Eurovan that we use to pull our Uhaul and is Kevin's daily driver, and a 2007 Salsa Red VW Beetle with a black convertible top that is my driver (We had to replace my '99 Beetle last summer when the silver maple in our back yard pooped 2 big branches on my Beetle. Finally I have a great radio!).

So, beware of two people of a certain age driving around Oak Park, River Forest, and Elmwood Park in a Salsa red Beetle with the top down and loud Celtic music!

CindyL
Old 12-18-2011, 12:14 AM   #34

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
There is more VW info on thesamba.com, plus a couple of other sites.
If you want to put that Ford engine in you will have to figure out a radiator arrangement. In Mexico they continued that body style after the Vanagons came out on the US market. They had water cooled engines and a radiator grafted onto the front.
I vaguely recall seeing slide in campers in some old RV magazines from England. There were also class C motorhomes.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #35

Registry
Picture the single cab pulling this: Dub-Box or Caravan? : VW Classic Camper Hire in Yorkshire

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
dub-box.png  
Old 12-18-2011, 06:56 AM   #36

Louisiana
Registry
Herb I have the Mexican front grill in my conversion kit. My friend has already done his bus, I'll give a link to his build thread.

Back on track here- I'm using my Dad's Dodge Dakota to go get a 1977 13' Trillium.We're leaving the day after Christmas. It's a 1,500 mile round trip -but I'll be an actual part of the group!
I also got my wiring harness in from e-trailer (for the brake controller). Taking my Dad's truck will give me relief during these hoildays when we're all so busy.
I've already sourced a good VW transmission for the conversion and started bringing the Ford engine back to life.
I'm really excited about getting the Trillium!
Here's the links to my friends conversion and the ad for my Trillium-
Shoptalkforums.com • View topic - 2.8L Chevy Adventurewagen
1977 Trillium Camper Trailer 13 foot | Nebraska | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 12-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #37

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft / ft 04 Subaru Forester XS (extra slow)
Cool, Dude! It's just the thing I would love to take to the car show ON a trailer. I saw one of these iconic little trucklets the other day, actually for sale in the dealer's lobby alongside the ritzy CC and the obscure Routan. Green over cream white, I believe. But I'll never forget the sight of the driver's footrest-- it's the back of the headlight housing. The only protective crush space in this vehicle is the thickness of the paint.

I'd be afraid to drive this vehicle over 40 mph on it's own, but towing adds so much more peril. Your trailer will wind up weighing 3/4 tons or so. VW originally intended these things to tow light artillery down French country lanes, not large objects at expressway speeds.

I like your enthusiasm. It's a fabulous-looking combo. But there are so many better, safer alternatives in collector tow vehicles. A classic 50's pickup would be a far better tug, in my book... though I'd always choose a 21st century VW as my daily drive...
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #38

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMillin View Post
I like your enthusiasm. It's a fabulous-looking combo. But there are so many better, safer alternatives in collector tow vehicles. A classic 50's pickup would be a far better tug, in my book... though I'd always choose a 21st century VW as my daily drive...
D'OH!! Ron & Juanity K - Tweetybird Casita
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:35 AM   #39

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMillin View Post
The only protective crush space in this vehicle is the thickness of the paint.
This is my daily driver and I think about head-on every time I drive it. You are right.
When I grow up, I'll probably do as you say.
I live by faith, but always keep in my mind Darwin's awards.
I'm always aware... I have to be.
Oh, this truck is not a collector. It was on it's way to the junker . I did all the work to make it usable. The drivers door doesn't close right and the body leaves a lot to be desired.
Here's a link to the build if anyone has a cup of joe and no where to go-
Vintage World Rides :: View topic - '71 Single Cab
Old 12-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #40

Registry
Wow! What a change! I wish we could get ours running!

CindyL