Old Volkswagens- hauling right! - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #61

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
First pics of my first fiberglass camper! Now I have to change my profile from "in the market"!!! You don't know how much I want to be in it rather than in this motel room. Wife and I may make a maiden camping trip this weekend if I can get it comfortable enough.
Oh yeah, in keeping with this thread- it does have the plates for electric brakes. So, because I'm lazy, who do "all y'all" recommend to get them from (I know, don't end my sentences with a preposition- LOL!)

itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #62
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
VWs and fiberglass trailers

I love this thread! I have been a VW collector almost all of my adult life. In October I reluctantly sold my EV camper to buy a Casita. We had just returned from an 8000 mile trip across the country and we felt we needed more room so that we didn't have to shuffle things every morning and evening. Good luck with the Trillium. I have seen older VW buses haul some unbelievable loads. My favorite bumper sticker is "Too slow - Too bad" or "pass with care - I am working as hard as I can"
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #63

Louisiana
Registry
The room thing is one of reasons I sold my Westy. We had it 5 years and had some great trips, but it was always cramped. This little 13 footer has way more room than the Westy! I just sent her (wife) the pics. She's ready to see it!! We'll be home tomorrow with it. Still got 400 miles to go!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #64

Trailer: 13 ft 1968 Boler
Send a message via AIM to Joe Diaz Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Diaz
My Name Is Joe and I have here in Fl a VW shop called Joebugs I am in central florida around the Ocala area....I have been pulling a Boler with a bus for years and my bus has a 2.0 liter motor and I have no problem at all.....No matter where me and wife go we get all the attention and I mean from all the 40 footers as well....as far as you pulling with a single cab you can, but the weight ratio in the back of the pulling vehicle is very very light,, so I suggest that you put about 300 pounds in the rear towards the back of the vehicle because what will happen is that you will get into a braking situation and the camper will want to "push" the vehicle, in this case the single cab, all around the road. With my bus and the weight of the motor in the back I have no problem pulling the Boler....Hey if you have any more questions I have been doing the VW thing for 35 years....call me at 352-280-0283 and we can chat for a while....Joe Diaz
Joe Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #65

Louisiana
Registry
Hey Joe, thanks for the input. The brake controller I have allows me to adjust the trailer brakes. I plan on letting the trailer brakes do a fair amount of work. I have a 2.0 L sitting in my shop (needs a rebuild). I'll seriously consider what you said about it. I would be easier to change from a type1 engine to a type IV than to any water-cooled engine.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #66

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I think Floyd's trailer is Eggy Sue, but I don't recall a Peggy Sue in the group yet.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #67

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Looks good, CONGRATES!
RICK H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #68

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Looks great! It already matches your pickup!

Hey, Joe, we are coming through Ocala tomorrow PM with our Eurovan pulling our VT. Give a wave! Maybe we will give you a call if we ever get going on the pickup. Last week, our '69 Beetle autostick left Kevin stuck with a transmission problem. I had to rescue him.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #69

Louisiana
Registry
Alright! Made some progress with the Tril and the VW today. I finished the wiring (Well, it's not "prettied up" yet). and changed the bumper to Mr. Ugly.
Took it out for a little spin to my church and took a pic. I'm going to a local axle place tomorrow to let him look and see what kind of brakes to get. We're going to take it south about 45 miles to RV and camp spot. I'll be VERY careful!!
Here's some pics (everybody loves pics!)-
First up is Doug - the previous owner and a great guy!

Old 12-30-2011, 06:14 AM   #70

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
Here's some pics (everybody loves pics!)-
You betcha we do... THANKS for sharing
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #71

Registry
Wow!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #72

Louisiana
Registry
I took the Tril over to the local axle place and got the right guy! The owner said he couldn't the original electric brakes. I just went looking through his inventory and saw what looked like would fit- it did! (He has a hurt back and couldn't get up to help, that's how I got to rummage through his stuff).
So, his top guy (you know, the one that does everything but own the place), started helping me and he made sure everything would fit. He greased the new bearings. I almost didn't have to get dirty. So, here's the fitting of the brakes and a little commentary. I still need to run the wires from the brakes to the 7-plug.
First up- the old rotor and the 4-hole plate that you bolt your new brakes to. If you have this plate, you can have electric brakes. The bolt holes are 2 7/8" center to center.

Next, the new brakes -front and rear sides along with the new hubs -front and rear. It doesn't matter which wire is positive or negative when you hook them up. Just be sure you have a good ground. From my experience, the ground is the first thing to check when you have electric problems.

And the finished newly installed electric brakes! Also, one tip the guy gave me about the washers that go under the castle nut (the nut that holds the hub on). Save your old washer. It is smaller than the one that came with the new brakes. It fits like it should.

I think the hardest part of the job so far was getting the new grease/dust cap on.
I'm almost done with this thread. I still have to report on how the Tekonsha P3 works. That may be as late as next weekend. After taking off a week from work, I'll be busy with it next week. See you with a final report - soon!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #73

[/QUOTE]
I would love to bring my DC and Uhaul down and go camping with you and your SC and Tril, could you imagine how many thumbs up and questions we would get! Looks great!!
Old 01-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #74

Registry
You would spend all your time giving tours!

CindyL
Old 01-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #75

Louisiana
Registry
Hey Rick! We went on an overnighter 45 miles away to celebrate the wife's 40th b/d.. It's a great little RV resort. The truck pulled nicely on these Louisiana flat lands. It didn't even mind the bridges. I still think it needs the bigger engine and the 091 tranny. We averaged not quite 60 MPH.
It brakes ok but will great with the brakes hooked up. They will be "energized" before the next trip. Here's a couple more pics-

Old 01-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #76

Excellent!!!! Does the spare on the back fit the Trill?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #77

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK H. View Post
Excellent!!!! Does the spare on the back fit the Trill?
The wheel does! It also fits the truck. I think the tire may be too big but I have another in the treasure chest that's smaller.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #78
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
SC and Trill

Absolutely beautiful!
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #79

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
....First up- the old rotor and the 4-hole plate that you bolt your new brakes to. If you have this plate, you can have electric brakes. The bolt holes are 2 7/8" center to center.

Ah, the famous plate! So glad your axle had these.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #80

Oklahoma
My daughter just emailed me, all excited. "I so want this!" she said. An '81 VW Westfalia, the seller wants $7500 and my daughter wanted to know if that was an ok price. I said, I don't know, maybe make him an offer?

It has a hitch and light plug. Kinda tempting to me too! Like I need it...