Old Volkswagens- hauling right! - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-27-2011, 06:34 AM   #57

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1984 13' UHaul
Louisiana
Registry
Will do, Cindy!

Edit- We drove 570 miles yesterday. I saw ONE fiberglass rv - a late model Scamp, looked to be a 16 footer. At least I spotted it!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #58

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
Regarding heaters...I bought a 1958 VW new and the heater was definitely NOT something to write home about (or maybe it was). So I wrapped both heat tubes in two layers of aluminum foil and it made a big difference. Since that was 53 years ago, there's probably something different now that would do the same job and be more durable.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #59

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Ever noticed how everyone has a VW story? Every time I mention that we have a Beetle, I hear about the one that they used to have, not that I mind.

CindyL
Old 12-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #60

Louisiana
Registry
I belong to the local VW club. I've been in it for about ten years and just got through my two year "stint" as president. Everywhere we go, someone has a v'dub story! I have a couple pics of my Trillium . I'll go get my camera and put them up in a few moments.
My daughter already named it "P-egg -y sue". Does anyone know, is that a common name around here?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #61

Louisiana
Registry
First pics of my first fiberglass camper! Now I have to change my profile from "in the market"!!! You don't know how much I want to be in it rather than in this motel room. Wife and I may make a maiden camping trip this weekend if I can get it comfortable enough.
Oh yeah, in keeping with this thread- it does have the plates for electric brakes. So, because I'm lazy, who do "all y'all" recommend to get them from (I know, don't end my sentences with a preposition- LOL!)

Old 12-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #62
Commercial Member

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita 17 LD
Kentucky
VWs and fiberglass trailers

I love this thread! I have been a VW collector almost all of my adult life. In October I reluctantly sold my EV camper to buy a Casita. We had just returned from an 8000 mile trip across the country and we felt we needed more room so that we didn't have to shuffle things every morning and evening. Good luck with the Trillium. I have seen older VW buses haul some unbelievable loads. My favorite bumper sticker is "Too slow - Too bad" or "pass with care - I am working as hard as I can"
Old 12-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #63

Louisiana
Registry
The room thing is one of reasons I sold my Westy. We had it 5 years and had some great trips, but it was always cramped. This little 13 footer has way more room than the Westy! I just sent her (wife) the pics. She's ready to see it!! We'll be home tomorrow with it. Still got 400 miles to go!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #64

Trailer: 13 ft 1968 Boler
Send a message via AIM to Joe Diaz Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Diaz
My Name Is Joe and I have here in Fl a VW shop called Joebugs I am in central florida around the Ocala area....I have been pulling a Boler with a bus for years and my bus has a 2.0 liter motor and I have no problem at all.....No matter where me and wife go we get all the attention and I mean from all the 40 footers as well....as far as you pulling with a single cab you can, but the weight ratio in the back of the pulling vehicle is very very light,, so I suggest that you put about 300 pounds in the rear towards the back of the vehicle because what will happen is that you will get into a braking situation and the camper will want to "push" the vehicle, in this case the single cab, all around the road. With my bus and the weight of the motor in the back I have no problem pulling the Boler....Hey if you have any more questions I have been doing the VW thing for 35 years....call me at 352-280-0283 and we can chat for a while....Joe Diaz
Old 12-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #65

Louisiana
Registry
Hey Joe, thanks for the input. The brake controller I have allows me to adjust the trailer brakes. I plan on letting the trailer brakes do a fair amount of work. I have a 2.0 L sitting in my shop (needs a rebuild). I'll seriously consider what you said about it. I would be easier to change from a type1 engine to a type IV than to any water-cooled engine.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #66

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I think Floyd's trailer is Eggy Sue, but I don't recall a Peggy Sue in the group yet.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #67

Name: Rick
Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Ohio
Looks good, CONGRATES!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #68

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Looks great! It already matches your pickup!

Hey, Joe, we are coming through Ocala tomorrow PM with our Eurovan pulling our VT. Give a wave! Maybe we will give you a call if we ever get going on the pickup. Last week, our '69 Beetle autostick left Kevin stuck with a transmission problem. I had to rescue him.

CindyL
Old 12-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #69

Louisiana
Registry
Alright! Made some progress with the Tril and the VW today. I finished the wiring (Well, it's not "prettied up" yet). and changed the bumper to Mr. Ugly.
Took it out for a little spin to my church and took a pic. I'm going to a local axle place tomorrow to let him look and see what kind of brakes to get. We're going to take it south about 45 miles to RV and camp spot. I'll be VERY careful!!
Here's some pics (everybody loves pics!)-
First up is Doug - the previous owner and a great guy!

Old 12-30-2011, 06:14 AM   #70

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
Here's some pics (everybody loves pics!)-
You betcha we do... THANKS for sharing

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote