Illinois
Registry
Wow!

Old 12-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #72

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1984 13' UHaul
Louisiana
Registry
I took the Tril over to the local axle place and got the right guy! The owner said he couldn't the original electric brakes. I just went looking through his inventory and saw what looked like would fit- it did! (He has a hurt back and couldn't get up to help, that's how I got to rummage through his stuff).
So, his top guy (you know, the one that does everything but own the place), started helping me and he made sure everything would fit. He greased the new bearings. I almost didn't have to get dirty. So, here's the fitting of the brakes and a little commentary. I still need to run the wires from the brakes to the 7-plug.
First up- the old rotor and the 4-hole plate that you bolt your new brakes to. If you have this plate, you can have electric brakes. The bolt holes are 2 7/8" center to center.

Next, the new brakes -front and rear sides along with the new hubs -front and rear. It doesn't matter which wire is positive or negative when you hook them up. Just be sure you have a good ground. From my experience, the ground is the first thing to check when you have electric problems.

And the finished newly installed electric brakes! Also, one tip the guy gave me about the washers that go under the castle nut (the nut that holds the hub on). Save your old washer. It is smaller than the one that came with the new brakes. It fits like it should.

I think the hardest part of the job so far was getting the new grease/dust cap on.
I'm almost done with this thread. I still have to report on how the Tekonsha P3 works. That may be as late as next weekend. After taking off a week from work, I'll be busy with it next week. See you with a final report - soon!

Old 01-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #73

Name: Rick
Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Ohio
[/QUOTE]
I would love to bring my DC and Uhaul down and go camping with you and your SC and Tril, could you imagine how many thumbs up and questions we would get! Looks great!!
Old 01-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #74

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
You would spend all your time giving tours!

CindyL
Old 01-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #75

Louisiana
Registry
Hey Rick! We went on an overnighter 45 miles away to celebrate the wife's 40th b/d.. It's a great little RV resort. The truck pulled nicely on these Louisiana flat lands. It didn't even mind the bridges. I still think it needs the bigger engine and the 091 tranny. We averaged not quite 60 MPH.
It brakes ok but will great with the brakes hooked up. They will be "energized" before the next trip. Here's a couple more pics-

Old 01-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #76

Name: Rick
Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Ohio
Excellent!!!! Does the spare on the back fit the Trill?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #77

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK H. View Post
Excellent!!!! Does the spare on the back fit the Trill?
The wheel does! It also fits the truck. I think the tire may be too big but I have another in the treasure chest that's smaller.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #78
Commercial Member

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita 17 LD
Kentucky
SC and Trill

Absolutely beautiful!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #79

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
....First up- the old rotor and the 4-hole plate that you bolt your new brakes to. If you have this plate, you can have electric brakes. The bolt holes are 2 7/8" center to center.

Ah, the famous plate! So glad your axle had these.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #80

Oklahoma
My daughter just emailed me, all excited. "I so want this!" she said. An '81 VW Westfalia, the seller wants $7500 and my daughter wanted to know if that was an ok price. I said, I don't know, maybe make him an offer?

It has a hitch and light plug. Kinda tempting to me too! Like I need it...
Old 01-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #81

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
My daughter just emailed me, all excited. "I so want this!" she said. An '81 VW Westfalia, the seller wants $7500 and my daughter wanted to know if that was an ok price. I said, I don't know, maybe make him an offer?

It has a hitch and light plug. Kinda tempting to me too! Like I need it...
New(er) body style, still has the air-cooled 2L. Look for rust!!! Get under the vehicle and look for rust. Look under the floor mat for rust. Look at the rubber on the drive shafts. How many miles on the engine? Records of oil changes and valve adjustments? Is the tent in good shape? Does the fridge, stove and sink work?
Have a VW mechanic check it out. Do a compression check.
Just in case she's persistent.
Things I'd consider before plunking down 7K for that old of a vehicle. Oh yeah, check out the classifieds on TheSamba.com :: Volkswagen Classifieds, photos, shows, forums, and information . Also, ebay. There's lots of those around and they're not as collectible as '79 and before.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #82

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
If it is air-cooled, it would probably still be cold and hard to defrost the window. Might check on that. There are ways to fix this, but our bus did not have them. When the kids were babies, we had a '73 bus. In the winter, we bundled the kids up to ride in the bus. Kevin would drive it to grad school. One night, he melted the visor, as he tried to keep the window defrosted with my hair dryer.

CindyL

PS: That SC and Tril look SO COOL. Again I say, I am SO jealous.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #83
Commercial Member

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita 17 LD
Kentucky
A new generation

Mike , You have certainly done something right to have a daughter that would like a vehicle like that. Personally I would prefer air cooled to water cooled because of leaks and warped heads. I loved my 83 air cooled but the reason I sold it was I wanted to travel and I could picture myself in the middle of nowhere looking for parts for a 30 year old VW. Have someone that knows and loves VWs check the vehicle for your daughter and even if it is not "the one" nurture the new generation of VW lovers.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #84

Oklahoma
Hey, thanks. I've passed these comments on to her. And threw in a photo of "itlives" rig at the campsite for good measure, I bet she'll want one of those too when she sees it!