Old Volkswagens- hauling right! - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #121

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry

AND, DONE!
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #122
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Mike, an interesting project for sure.

Back in my youth me and my pal also liked to play with the bugs too. Never did get a hitch put on them but they were great for tent camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Trike.JPG   trikes.jpg  

MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #123

Louisiana
Registry
Hey MC1, we've got three VW powered trikes in our local VW club.
We've only got one single cab - MINE !

MY friend has a 2.8 Chevy engine in his '73 Adventurewagon. He's the brains behind this project - but I'm a fast learner! I learned all I really need is a better welder!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #124

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We are the only SC in our club too. Someday it might run.

We are the only Eurovan too. It is with our Uhaul at Mt. Rushmore right now.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #125

Louisiana
Registry
The question is, are YOU with the U-Hail and Eurovan?
Cool trip if you are!
Old 05-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #126

Registry
Yes, sitting in the Uhaul with the Eurovan cooling off from its trip around the Needles Highway. We went to Wind Cave and Crazy Horse (our absolute favorite!) yesterday and Mt. Rushmore and Custer State Park today. Saw a Scamp at Mt. Rushmore. Heading home tomorrow.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #127
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
Hey MC1, we've got three VW powered trikes in our local VW club.
We've only got one single cab - MINE !

MY friend has a 2.8 Chevy engine in his '73 Adventurewagon. He's the brains behind this project - but I'm a fast learner! I learned all I really need is a better welder!
Sounds good itlives. We sure had a lot of fun with those trikes.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #128

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Yes, sitting in the Uhaul with the Eurovan cooling off from its trip around the Needles Highway. We went to Wind Cave and Crazy Horse (our absolute favorite!) yesterday and Mt. Rushmore and Custer State Park today. Saw a Scamp at Mt. Rushmore. Heading home tomorrow.

CindyL
Sweet Cindy! That sounds like it may be part of my big trip. The reason I'm putting in this Ford engine is so I can take a trip out west and straight up the coast to WA and meander back through this great country of ours!
Old 12-09-2021, 04:59 PM   #129

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Lets see - first VW was a brand new yellow '69 beetle convertible when I got back from Vietnam, then a 68 bus, then a dune buggy, followed up by two diesel Rabbits, then a diesel Passat converted to veggie, and then a diesel Jetta. Now after reading this thread, I wondering - a double cab towing my 19' Scamp? Nah, the darling wife would never let me do it. Would have to hide it somewhere and that would take the fun out of it. Besides, she lived threw all those VWs!!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:42 PM   #130

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
Gawd ohmighty! VW days! My first car, pre getting drafted, was a 1966 Bug, 6 volt, built on a Karmen Ghia chassis which I bought for $600 in 1969 from Duke U prof who had brought it over from Germany. 1500 cc rather than 1300, disk brakes. Sporty! Well all relative. Now I feel old.
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:10 PM   #131

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
you realize, this is a 10 year old thread ?

but, in the spirit of things, THIS 1966 was *my* first car, circa mid 70s. 1600cc *and* twin carbs, wooot!

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:31 AM   #132

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
Lets see - first VW was a brand new yellow '69 beetle convertible when I got back from Vietnam, then a 68 bus, then a dune buggy, followed up by two diesel Rabbits, then a diesel Passat converted to veggie, and then a diesel Jetta. Now after reading this thread, I wondering - a double cab towing my 19' Scamp? Nah, the darling wife would never let me do it. Would have to hide it somewhere and that would take the fun out of it. Besides, she lived thru all those VWs!!!
I forgot the two covert VW Golfs ( We called the Rabbits) that I use to wander around West Berlin way back when....
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 02:51 PM   #133

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Great thread! I am surprised at myself for having not seen it previously.
I have always been enamored with post war European vehicles. Especially those produced between 1955 and 1973.
I can't profess to have used them for towing but they did provide me with much enjoyment both on the road and on the track.
While they didn't come with 400 hp they were none the less fun to drive. Especially, the Italian thoroughbreds, not only did they drive great, they knew how to dance!
For me I always had more fun driving a slow car fast than I did driving a fast car slow. Thus the reason my two previously owned Corvettes didn't stay in the stable long.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 04:50 PM   #134

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
Great thread! I am surprised at myself for having not seen it previously.
I have always been enamored with post war European vehicles. Especially those produced between 1955 and 1973.
I can't profess to have used them for towing but they did provide me with much enjoyment both on the road and on the track.
While they didn't come with 400 hp they were none the less fun to drive. Especially, the Italian thoroughbreds, not only did they drive great, they knew how to dance!
For me I always had more fun driving a slow car fast than I did driving a fast car slow. Thus the reason my two previously owned Corvettes didn't stay in the stable long.
I towed a small sailboat with a 64 convertible. I had to put 6 volt bulbs in the trailer lights.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 04:50 AM   #135

Registry
Since I actively participated in this thread all those years ago, things have changed. Our granddaughter was born on the day we were heading for the Effingham, IL VW show that we went to every year. She is now 10, and we have not been back to that show, since we usually have a birthday party to attend that weekend.

We no longer have the Uhaul. It was sold several years ago in favor of the Bigfoot Silver Cloud that we now tow with a RAM 2500. We bought it when we sold our Eurovan several years ago after an expensive and botched series of 2 repairs by the VW place in Chicago and replaced it with an Expedition that could be fixed easier and was able to tow the Silver Cloud.

We no longer have our VW pickup. When we moved 4 years ago, we down-sized and the pickup was sold to someone in Texas who does hotrods and restorations.

We do still have the '69 VW Beetle that we have had for most of our marriage (Oh the stories our children tell about it!) and my 2007 VW New Beetle convertible.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
2007-volkswagen-beetle-salsa-red-chicago-cars-for-sale.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2021, 02:02 PM   #136

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
you realize, this is a 10 year old thread ?

but, in the spirit of things, THIS 1966 was *my* first car, circa mid 70s. 1600cc *and* twin carbs, wooot!

Had one just like it but a 69. I bought it for $50 and a second 66 notch back for the motor. The 69 had the fuel injection but put in the 66 dual carb into it. I found out later that the 6 volt flywheel had a couple of extra teeth on it and I kept tearing out starter motors. I ended up pulling the motor and changed the flywheel out. Good times! I loved my type 3, great car!
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:28 PM   #137

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
Had one just like it but a 69. I bought it for $50 and a second 66 notch back for the motor. The 69 had the fuel injection but put in the 66 dual carb into it. I found out later that the 6 volt flywheel had a couple of extra teeth on it and I kept tearing out starter motors. I ended up pulling the motor and changed the flywheel out. Good times! I loved my type 3, great car!
when I got mine, it was already a high miler, and the factory (solex?) carbs were toast, the throttle shafts were so worn that fuel dribbled out of them, its amazing it never caught on fire. I replaced them with a dual weber downdraft kit, that came with all new linkage (proper banjo style ball joints instead of the tiny VW snap-on ones that were totally worn out and held together with rubber bands). car ran 10X better, especially after I spent the better part of a day with a carb sync tool and got them dialed in just right. The 66 had single port heads, while the 67+ had dual port heads, it was tough to find the correct intake manifolds for mine.
Old 12-22-2021, 11:45 PM   #138

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
when I got mine, it was already a high miler, and the factory (solex?) carbs were toast, the throttle shafts were so worn that fuel dribbled out of them, its amazing it never caught on fire. I replaced them with a dual weber downdraft kit, that came with all new linkage (proper banjo style ball joints instead of the tiny VW snap-on ones that were totally worn out and held together with rubber bands). car ran 10X better, especially after I spent the better part of a day with a carb sync tool and got them dialed in just right. The 66 had single port heads, while the 67+ had dual port heads, it was tough to find the correct intake manifolds for mine.
that's weird, the engine came out of a 66 but it was a dual port head 1600 and was 6v so it wasn't a 67 but way too much water under that bridge! If you see a purple 69 Datsun roadster running around Santa Cruz, give my son a wave! He is in Scott's Valley.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 12:04 AM   #139

Mid Left Coast
people swapped engines around on those a lot. or maybe the original 66 needed heads (pretty common) and acquired dual port heads. the 66 single port was a 1600 too, I think all the early type III's were 1600. the 'dual port' intake on the early carbed type IIIs was really more like a figure 8 shaped port, as opposed to a simple round one.

phew, I think I'd notice a purple Datsun roadster, you're talking about the 1600/2000 series, right? sorta brit-car like ? how long has he had it? I've not been going out much these past 2 years, and haven't spent much time in/around SV since my first kid graduated SVHS (he's now 31, and working as a research Geologist at Oxford, bopping all over Europe on his KTM 1290 SuperAdventurer R). Always liked convertibles and roadsters, had several, my most recent was a 1993 Mercedes 300CE Cabriolet, which is a 4 seater so not really a roadster (the Mercedes roadsters are SL's).

my previous cabrio was a 1984 VW Rabbit Convertible (which had the 84 GTI engine and gearbox and suspension), and before that we had a TR-6, and once upon a long long time ago I briefly had a MG Midget, but it was a piece of junk.
Old 12-23-2021, 12:11 AM   #140

Mid Left Coast
for the yoof amongst us who may not be familiar with the 1960s Datsun Roadsters, here's a late 1600, the 2000 was almost identical but had a bigger 2L motor that was 150HP, and a 5 speed, and used to win all KINDA SCCA racing.