Older truck - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-11-2015, 05:26 PM   #15

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
Floyd, you are right on that issue,old is old. Of Course i would get it all checked out before I go anywhere. I would start off slow visiting local PA,NY state campgrounds no more then 150 miles away, till i build up confidence in the truck.If i want to go on long trips i still have the Rav under 40K miles. Thanks for your reply. Carl
While that conclusion has merit, what I meant also was that vehicles come with a warranty because they can break even when new.
I would not want to trade my 15 YO Ranger for anything new from another make, and the new Ford trucks are just too big.
Maybe in a few years when they bring back the Ranger... but if I do get one, I will also keep the one I have.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I tow with a 2004 F150 Heritage 2wd (left over 2003). I picked it up with 130k km (80,000 miles) for $1200 with a blown motor. I put in a used 30k km motor and away we go for all in about $2300. The hitch and towing wiring came from a "pick and pull" truck for $50. The truck is in very good shape and I just can't think about spending $40k to replace it with new. Up here in Alberta, trucks rule and I could probably sell it for $5000 in good times. Its working well and we used it to go to the Yukon this summer with the Casita.

Floyd, I know what you mean about the new trucks, they are huge and my wife would need a rope ladder to get into the thing. My truck is dwarfed by them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0012.jpg  

Old 12-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #17

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
BTW one thing about the 99-03 style ford, just be aware that putting an engine into the darn things is a PAIN and on the larger motors, they tell you to pull the whole cab to install it. Mine had a 4,6l v8 and it just went in(without the intake). Who designs this stuff! The older models you just unbolted the whole frontend, fenders and all.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #18

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
I don't have the money for a newer truck let a lone a new truck, they cost as much as a house!,,, plus insurance costs a fortune on new as well.
I drive old stuff and pray, yes that creates a little stress but not as much as the payments on a new one.
Plus I work on my stuff, I can do most repairs so that makes a big difference.
If you got the money to throw away, blessed are you, buy new. Please take great care of it cause someone like me will need a good truck down the road.
Fred
Old 12-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #19

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=FRED SMAILES;562482],,, plus insurance costs a fortune on new as well.

When I transferred the license plates and insurance from my '86 Blazer to the 2012 Ram pickup my insurance agent told me the rate would go down because the newer vehicles had more safety features. In reality it didn't decrease, but the increase was very little. The Blazer didn't have collision insurance but the pickup does, so that is probably the difference.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #20

Name: Mike & Ellen
Trailer: 1988 Liberty Van Companion 17'
Michigan
Registry
Hi Carl: The F-150's track record certainly speaks for itself. [I] tow our 17 ft.
trailer with a 1992 full size [Bronco (Orig. owner) solid dependable rig. As long
as you don't mind the 10 m.p.g. so be it. Certainly would prefer the versatility
of a pick-up. Obviously, there is quite a few F- 150's in circulation, perhaps
a carfax or related background check would come in handy once you narrow
down your selections. Currently [I have no links to set you up with, Good luck
with your search.

Mike
Old 12-13-2015, 07:12 AM   #21

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Thanks everyone for your comments. I am searching around on carguru and CL. I am pleased to find a few possibilities out there. We do need a 2nd car, so it may as well be a truck. It will not be a daily commute so gas use will not be an issue. I need it for yard work and if i have to, while wife is out, go to the hardware store or whatnot. I favor GL B/C they are individual owners and can give you more history of the vehicle, carguru tend to bring in cars from other areas at intervals, so i don`t know. Carl
Old 12-13-2015, 08:02 AM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I keep all maintenance records on my vehicles, oil changes, repairs, part numbers, and have included them with whatever vehicle I have sold. Ask a seller if they have any maintenance history.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:00 AM   #23

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Miami, FL
Love my 02 Tundra V8 and would take it anywhere, but I'm the original owner so I know the care has exceeded the abuse. I'm now in the process of installing a brake controller, but have taken our just-bought Casita 17 on a couple of trips and had no problem slowing things down. Besides extra room, another advantage of a larger TV is that you feel more in control due to the longer wheelbase and higher mass. The main disadvantage is fuel consumption, exacerbated by Toyota's recommendation of O/D off when towing (a rule I follow, with some exceptions due to Florida's flat terrain.)
Old 04-12-2016, 12:06 PM   #24

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
My current truck/tow vehicle is a 1998 with 195,000 miles, and it's by far the newest vehicle I've ever owned. I have zero concern about it not being up to driving cross-country.

In my area of the country, seeing people towing with vehicles from the 70's and 80's is not at all uncommon.

Wow just noticed this is a fairly old thread...