Older truck - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2015, 09:41 AM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Older truck

Just wondering how many out there tow with a older truck (F150 V8 4WD) around 125K miles on it 1998-2004 good shape. They could be had for 3K to 5K $$$. I would maybe put 4-5 K miles a year on it. We had a 2002 ford F150 crewcab but gave it to our son, still going strong, approaching 150k on it, so i know they are good trucks and last. We only have one car now and we find that to be an inconvenience at times. I think it would help extend the life of the Rav4 as well if we had two TV. Just thinking. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:52 AM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
As long as you do not need the seating capacity , a truck is always better for towing , plus you can carry all kinds of stuff in the box and not have to overload the trailer.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Your vintage truck idea primarily depends on three issues: Condition, condition and condition.

Finding one in that year range with low (meaning less than 150,000) miles could be very difficult and, as vehicles age, they change hands more often and less and less routine maintenance is getting done. In short, they become "Beaters", and sudden, major, repair expenses can raise their ugly head when least expected.

When I bought a new GMC Sonoma in 2003 the first thing I did was change to synthetic oil and stared keeping a full service log. When I sold it at 150,000 miles it was almost like new and had required only minimal repairs over the 10 years I had owned it. A friend of my son's had an almost identical S-10 pick-up and it almost always needed something repaired, but his idea of maintenance was to fix things when they broke and little else.

I replaced the Sonoma with a same year Blazer with only 52,000 miles on the clock and full maintenance records, and it is proving to have the same reliability.

In short, it's a viable idea, but I wish you luck in finding a viable candidate.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Heading for Florida next month with our Scamp13 and our 2001 Ford Ranger.
That's a 3000 mile trip. The truck has 170000 miles on it right now, it runs like new and I still get compliments on the truck and offers to buy.
Regular maintenance matters.
That being said, even new vehicles have warranties for a reason.
Everything put together, sooner or later falls apart.
At the average age of this group, taking that old body on a trip may be as risky as taking an old vehicle.
Knowing the condition, pretrip can really help on all counts.
Prepare the best you can, set aside the fear, then hit the road!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #5

Pennsylvania
Bob,Thanks, I am aware of all the pitfalls associated with this idea, i am 71 and was a truck driver all my life and i know what a good car sounds and looks like as well of how much of a hassle a bad one can cause. And to my surprise, there are plenty of choices out there in that year range under 125K miles and below with two owners. My post was are there many people driving older higher mile trucks. It is not like I am investing 25K$$$ just a few K and I can always sell it if it goes sour. Thanks Carl
Old 12-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
A 15 year old truck is well on its way to new tires, new transmission and new electrical switches and some suspension work. Just the nature of the beast. If you find a well maintained beast that has already had these repairs done then it is a viable option. Otherwise keep an extra 4 grand allotted in the bank for some heavy maintenance. Your better off with a 6 year old truck with the same 125,000 mileage.
The only issue there is the parts are far more expensive on a newer truck.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #7

Pennsylvania
Floyd, you are right on that issue,old is old. Of Course i would get it all checked out before I go anywhere. I would start off slow visiting local PA,NY state campgrounds no more then 150 miles away, till i build up confidence in the truck.If i want to go on long trips i still have the Rav under 40K miles. Thanks for your reply. Carl
Old 12-11-2015, 11:29 AM   #8

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I use a 1996 Chevy Blazer (S10) with about 90k miles on it. I put it in the shop last year and had them replace all the hoses and belts and anything else that they thought should be replaced. Also replaced the water pump just because.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
like this maybe ? Older is easier to fix. Rebuilt engine, standard trans, all mechanicals checked and replaced as necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0068.jpg  
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #10

New York
But we use this one for longer distances. A year ago when we were looking for a used tow vehicle all the ones in my initial price range of 10K were also in the 150,000 mile range. Finally doubled my price range and got this 17,000 mile 2012 Ram that came with the extended 5 year warranty. Although I'm a retired truck mechanic I just don't want to work on them any more. And this truck is much more comfortable too.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0378.jpg  
Old 12-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
.....And this truck is much more comfortable too.
Every so often I miss the simpicity of my '85 F150. Then I remember the ride and my mileage. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:14 PM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I happen to think an older F150 is a terrific tow, since that is what I am stuck with anyway! I bought my truck in Feb of 2004 with 6700 miles on it and it currently has 134,000 and runs great. I put plugs and a few new coils on it a while back and other than new tires when we started venturing out farther camping that is about it. At this point I can't justify a new part-time tow vehicle and don't need one anyway. I am about seven years (maybe) from retirement and figure the old Ford will get me that far.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:35 PM   #13

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
it's all about what you like old camper old truck if it's old you have to work on it if it new some one else was to work on it ?????????? they all brake down.
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:08 PM   #14

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
You might not consider my 4Runner a truck but I'm hitting 160K on my '05 4WD. Excluding tires, shocks and brakes I've probably spent less then $800 in repairs during the ten years I've owned it and it's seen some rough use. I feel confident I'll get 300K before any significant repairs show up ... that's just the nature of 4Runners. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one with 150K on the odometer.
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:26 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
Floyd, you are right on that issue,old is old. Of Course i would get it all checked out before I go anywhere. I would start off slow visiting local PA,NY state campgrounds no more then 150 miles away, till i build up confidence in the truck.If i want to go on long trips i still have the Rav under 40K miles. Thanks for your reply. Carl
While that conclusion has merit, what I meant also was that vehicles come with a warranty because they can break even when new.
I would not want to trade my 15 YO Ranger for anything new from another make, and the new Ford trucks are just too big.
Maybe in a few years when they bring back the Ranger... but if I do get one, I will also keep the one I have.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I tow with a 2004 F150 Heritage 2wd (left over 2003). I picked it up with 130k km (80,000 miles) for $1200 with a blown motor. I put in a used 30k km motor and away we go for all in about $2300. The hitch and towing wiring came from a "pick and pull" truck for $50. The truck is in very good shape and I just can't think about spending $40k to replace it with new. Up here in Alberta, trucks rule and I could probably sell it for $5000 in good times. Its working well and we used it to go to the Yukon this summer with the Casita.

Floyd, I know what you mean about the new trucks, they are huge and my wife would need a rope ladder to get into the thing. My truck is dwarfed by them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0012.jpg  
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #17

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
BTW one thing about the 99-03 style ford, just be aware that putting an engine into the darn things is a PAIN and on the larger motors, they tell you to pull the whole cab to install it. Mine had a 4,6l v8 and it just went in(without the intake). Who designs this stuff! The older models you just unbolted the whole frontend, fenders and all.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I don't have the money for a newer truck let a lone a new truck, they cost as much as a house!,,, plus insurance costs a fortune on new as well.
I drive old stuff and pray, yes that creates a little stress but not as much as the payments on a new one.
Plus I work on my stuff, I can do most repairs so that makes a big difference.
If you got the money to throw away, blessed are you, buy new. Please take great care of it cause someone like me will need a good truck down the road.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #19

New York
[QUOTE=FRED SMAILES;562482],,, plus insurance costs a fortune on new as well.

When I transferred the license plates and insurance from my '86 Blazer to the 2012 Ram pickup my insurance agent told me the rate would go down because the newer vehicles had more safety features. In reality it didn't decrease, but the increase was very little. The Blazer didn't have collision insurance but the pickup does, so that is probably the difference.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #20

Name: Mike & Ellen
Trailer: 1988 Liberty Van Companion 17'
Michigan
Registry
Hi Carl: The F-150's track record certainly speaks for itself. [I] tow our 17 ft.
trailer with a 1992 full size [Bronco (Orig. owner) solid dependable rig. As long
as you don't mind the 10 m.p.g. so be it. Certainly would prefer the versatility
of a pick-up. Obviously, there is quite a few F- 150's in circulation, perhaps
a carfax or related background check would come in handy once you narrow
down your selections. Currently [I have no links to set you up with, Good luck
with your search.

Mike
Mikell is offline   Reply With Quote