oops, spare tire - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #1

Name: April
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Oregon
I just ordered a 13" spare online, and failed to realize I was ordering a 175-80-13 when our camper has 155-80-13 new tires on it. My question is will this pose a problem being larger than the other side if we need to use it? I guess I forgot to check that part...DO'H!!

Old 10-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
...other than a slight lean to one side while in use, it should be fine BUT IF its ony a 'spare' one would think of repairing AND replacing the original tire soon(er) than later.

Not everyone will do this however, meaning that a closer size fit would be more in order IF you fall into the bracket of people who'd opt just to run the spare for the rest of the season...

IMHO: I would (and DID) just get a used tire of equal size to use as a spare. Dosen't look as nice mounted on the axle, but it IS covered and on the rear end of the egg while not in use!!
Attached Thumbnails
Spare_tire_mount_2.jpg   Spare_tire_mount_1.jpg  

Old 10-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #3

Oregon
That's good to hear since I just dished out $70 for this tire. The rim measures out to be the same as what is on the camper so that is good. We simply didn't have one, all the ones I found in the local stores were 12's or 5 lug, and the tires on the camper are brand new, so hopefully we won't need it for a while. My main concern at this point is the wheel well. It's kind of a tight fit, and it was hard to get the smaller tire in/out to put it on the lugs. Well, I guess we can jack her up, and test it out before we hit the road to see if it will actually fit. I was thinking of just having the tire changed to the correct size if we find it to be a problem. I wonder if any of the tire places would buy the tire part from us, it's never been used.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Doing 'trial runs' like this before they happen are always a good thing, provided you have the time to do it, LOL!!! Practice makes perfect....
Old 10-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
That's good to hear since I just dished out $70 for this tire. The rim measures out to be the same as what is on the camper so that is good. We simply didn't have one, all the ones I found in the local stores were 12's or 5 lug, and the tires on the camper are brand new, so hopefully we won't need it for a while. My main concern at this point is the wheel well. It's kind of a tight fit, and it was hard to get the smaller tire in/out to put it on the lugs. Well, I guess we can jack her up, and test it out before we hit the road to see if it will actually fit. I was thinking of just having the tire changed to the correct size if we find it to be a problem. I wonder if any of the tire places would buy the tire part from us, it's never been used.

The rim is a harder item to find. The four lug is 4" square and the center opening is 2 5/8". This is for the Scamp year 1980.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #6

Oregon
Well, the tire fit on the 2 screw mounts in the back, so I am guessing at least the lugs are the right size, I will go out and measure the center hole in the morning. Hopefully at least the rim is the right size.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi April,

Do you know how old your current tires are? Generally you should replace your tires after 5-6 years as they rot from the inside. If they are old then maybe you should just replace all 3 with the same size
Old 10-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #8

Oregon
We just put new tires on the camper when we bought it a couple of weeks ago. The old tires looked sketchy, so we had new ones put on before we made the long drive. I suppose we should have added the spare tire when we had the new ones put on, but you know about hind sight.
Quote:
Hi April,

Do you know how old your current tires are? Generally you should replace your tires after 5-6 years as they rot from the inside. If they are old then maybe you should just replace all 3 with the same size
Old 10-19-2008, 01:50 AM   #9

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
April, I towed my "fat boy" burro on my 13 inch spare for 30 miles or so last spring. My regular tires are 14s.

I actually did not feel a difference when towing, but could see a slight list to one side. When I got to the campground, leveling the rig was interesting, but not difficult.

If you just use the spare for what it is, a spare for emergencies, you should be fine.

I will note tho, that with my spare, it is of a lower load range than my others, and if you are a heavy packer, you may want to shift some things to the opposite side to help prevent a possible overload on the rubber.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:59 AM   #10

Oregon
Thanks Gina, I am feeling better about the mistake, as long as it will fit in our wheel well, I guess it won't be that big of a difference.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:20 PM   #11

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
April, the 175s should be about 1.4 inches larger in diameter, so your trailer will ride just 3/4" higher on the side with the new tire. Not a big difference if it's just a spare.

Quote:
. . . I towed my "fat boy" burro on my 13 inch spare for 30 miles or so last spring. My regular tires are 14s.

I actually did not feel a difference when towing, but could see a slight list to one side . . .
Gina that's good to know, too. Lynne and I have a bad tire on our 5er, so rather than replace one tire we're going to upgrade both sides from 13" to 14" rims. Not swapping the 13" spare could save us big bucks . . .
Old 10-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #12

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I am sure if you were to go hundreds of miles and go at higher speeds, there may be a difference.

But for just getting to safe haven, and to a place to fix or repair your main tire.. it is OK.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #13

Oregon
for all the advice.