Opinions about 2017 Pathfinder with a CVT - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 09:43 AM   #1

Name: Raj
Trailer: Escape Trailer - SOLD
Florida
Opinions about 2017 Pathfinder with a CVT

I am researching the new Pathfinder for the 6000 lb towing capacity in a medium sized SUV.

I have heard conflicting opinions about towing with a CVT.
Does anyone drive a Nissan or tow with / has an opinion about them ??

Thanks
disneydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:15 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Don't buy one. The CVT is a weak transmission, and not overly servicable. That is my opinion. When I was buying a CRV for the wife in 2014, we declined on the 2015 CRV with the CVT trans, opted for a new 2014 instead, next vehicle will not have CVT trans either. Probably be a 4unner next time.

If you have any doubts about buying a CVT equipped vehicle just go to that vehicle's different forums on line and see just how good the cvt trans is, lots of reported problems. The only quality made cvt trans out there is made for the prius, its got plantetary gearing and not hub/belt assembly.
David L. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Haven't heard anything good about CVT's for towing. As was mentioned, they aren't very substantial and many owners who have towed with them had all manner of troubles, including requiring complete tranny replacements. Not recommended.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
We've been towing our Escape 19 with our 2013 Pathfinder for the last three seasons. So far, we have not experienced any issues, transmission or otherwise. The Pathfinder has 135,000 + miles on it currently.

Having said that, since we are still working, our trips are mostly within 8 hours or so of home, and we aren't driving over any mountains. So no heavy duty towing really. I don't know if my results would be the same if we were towing a lot.

And by the time we do retire, I expect to have a new, more substantial TV. Probably a pick up.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #5

Name: George
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
I have a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder and pull an Escape 19, with a gross weight of about 3800lbs. Love the car but not sure it is an appropriate vehicle to tow a trailer as it has a CVT transmission. I bought the vehicle new with a factory installed tow package. At 31,000 miles I had to replace the transmission. The auto gets all the required factory maintenance. I had heard of problems with earlier Pathfinders but as I understand it, several design changes have been made to address problems found with earlier model years. Fortunately, the transmission was still under warranty so it cost me nothing. However, I have been unable to find out from the company, what, if any changes have been made to this transmission to assure me that any design issues have been resolved in my replacement transmission. In my case the problem showed up as an intermittent "shuddering or stuttering" around 1,000rpms without the trailer attached. Without the correct software in the transmission controller to detect it, this shuddering may not be easy to detect. Now I am concerned that this might well happen again, when the vehicle is out of warranty. They tell me that the cost of a transmission replacement is about $4000+ so its a real concern.
sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #6

Name: Raj
Trailer: Escape Trailer - SOLD
Florida
Thanks for your replies on Pathfinder as a Tow Vehicle,

Pathfinders & other Nissan vehicles in general have had problems with Transmissions, CVT or not CVT.

Nissan boasts of the improved engine, hp , torque & the improved transmission of the new Pathfinder.

I have a 2017 Highlander with towing capacity of 5000 lbs, tows the Escape 17B very well. I love the Highlander

The idea was, if the above research turns out good, then may consider swapping the vehicles for towing a Escape 21 only because of the towing capacity of 6000 lbs.

Please let the experiences & opinions on Pathfinder CVT coming.
disneydoc is offline   Reply With Quote