Owner of Andersen Hitches vandalizes in Arches NP - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Owner of Andersen Hitches vandalizes in Arches NP

Owner of Andersen Hitches vandalizes in Arches NP
In case you missed this, the owner of Andersen Hitches vandalized the one of the most famous arches in Arches NP and then posted a photo of his family in front of his graffiti !!!!

https://idahostatejournal.com/member...53287525d.html

http://rebrn.com/re/this-guy-vandali...-week-4400070/

Hopefully he is heavily fined at the least.
A Boycott of Andersen hitches has been suggested and I will NEVER own one.

Deb
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Links are not working.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Here is the Anderson hitches owner from the Idaho Statesman newspaper

https://idahostatejournal.com/content/tncms/live/

East Idaho family facing backlash for reportedly defacing Corona Arch

By BRYAN CLARK Post RegisterApr 4, 2018
An iconic natural arch near Moab, Utah, was vandalized last week, and photographs widely shared on social media have brought an Idaho Falls family and its business under scrutiny for the incident.

The incident sparked nationwide outrage on social media platforms, where many identified the family based on photographs of the couple posing in front of graffiti etched into Corona Arch.

Pictures of Ryan Andersen, owner of Andersen Hitches, and his wife Jennifer, along with three children whose faces were obscured, posing in front of graffiti scratched into the arch have been shared widely on a host of social media platforms. Sites reviewing Andersen’s company have been slammed with comments accusing the owners of vandalizing the arch and calling for boycotts.

On Thursday, a message from Ryan Andersen appeared on the website https://ryan-andersen.org/. The website features a letter in which Andersen apologized for his actions and expressed embarrassment.

“While hiking in the Moab area with my family, I drew with a sandstone shard, a heart with my and my wife’s initials and the year above it,” the statement read. “At that moment, I foolishly thought I was conveying my love for my wife when, in fact, I was tarnishing the experience for others who also want to enjoy magnificent scenery. My actions were wrong. I am extremely sorry for my conduct. I acted in the spur of the moment and did not stop to think about what I was doing.”

To read the letter in its entirety, click here.

Brad Kendrick, a former Ammon real estate developer who said he had purchased trailer hitches from Ryan Andersen in the past, contacted the Post Register about the incident after he saw pictures on social media of the couple posing in front of the vandalism.

“I recognized him the minute I saw his picture,” Kendrick said. “I thought, ‘He can’t just do that to a national monument.’”

(While the Corona Arch has widely been described either as within a national monument or a national park on social media, it is in fact on Bureau of Land Management land.)

The graffiti in question include the lines “18” — likely a reference to the current year — and the initials “R” and “J” with a heart drawn between them. They were scratched into the base of the arch, in an area that features prominently in most nature photographs of the area.

Lisa Bryant, spokeswoman of the Canyon Country District of the Bureau of Land Management confirmed by phone that an incident of vandalism had occurred at Corona Arch, and that the agency is investigating the incident.

“The BLM appreciates people stepping forward to report illegal or unauthorized activities on public lands; because this is an active investigation, no more details about the incident at Corona Arch are available at this time,” Bryant said in a statement.

Federal law makes it a federal Class A misdemeanor to “willfully deface, disturb, remove or destroy any personal property, or structures, or any scientific, cultural, archaeological or historic resource, natural object or area” on public lands. The maximum penalty for such a violation is a $100,000 fine and one year in prison.

“As always, the BLM asks visitors to be good land stewards, to help keep America’s public lands beautiful and strong by practicing responsible recreation and ‘leave no trace’ ethics,” said BLM Moab Field Manager Christina Price.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Here is the Reborn article on Anderson hitches owner

This guy vandalized the Corona Arch for a family photo this weekend. | Rebrn.com

This guy vandalized the Corona Arch for a family photo this weekend.
NationalPark 2018-03-23 arch guy corona weekend plate park

"Hiking related...we were hiking Corona Arch yesterday in Utah & the guy in the red shirt proudly made his mark on the Arch even after we asked him to stop. Then sent his 2 teenage boys down to switch plates on their trucks. We turned photos into NPS and reported them. What a bummer tho that people would willingly do this. Our hiking areas should remain as pristine as we found them!"

"We have pics of him scratching the 18R♥️ on the wall. The little girl started copying him as well. We have tide pics as well. In addition to video pics of the teenage boys in the party trying to change license plates. Multiple witnesses he kept marking the wall when asked to stop. Park service has all information in addition to the license plate numbers."
If you can't appreciate nature, don't go. Simple as that.
Just so you know, Corona arch is not within the National Park system, it lies outside Arches National Park. It is located in Bureau of Land Manage land however, so it is still protected under the federal government.

Hopefully these links work.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Anderson hitch owner vandalizes Arches

Links are working now.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
It is very disappointing to see this kind of thing, i too hope he is heavily fined to discourage others from doing the same. I would think a grown man and a business man would realize how dumb that was, i never understand people scratching their initials into anything, scratch them into your own house no one wants to see your chicken scratch.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Chuck View Post
Links are working now.
Yes! Thank you very much. Very sad to see this.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:09 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
He also makes Anderson leveling system. Time for a total boycott.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Vandalism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompka View Post
It is very disappointing to see this kind of thing, i too hope he is heavily fined to discourage others from doing the same. I would think a grown man and a business man would realize how dumb that was, i never understand people scratching their initials into anything, scratch them into your own house no one wants to see your chicken scratch.

The story is actually worse than the headline. People SAW him doing it and told him to stop. People took photos and urged him to stop. As people took photos he had one of his kids run to their truck to take off the license plates. So it wasn't someone just forgetting his manners for a few minutes ! To me this is like graffiti ; it can only be art if you are spraying it on you own property. David in Sonora and Fresno (CA)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #10

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
So can the initials of the arch's name be carved within a heart on him? Only seems fair to me.
Alex Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I have done the hike to Corona Arch several times. It is a very cool place, but a little less cool because of this ignoramus.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #12

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Paul and I are making a note of the name of this guy and his businesses...Ryan Anderson hitches and levelers. Next time we're in the market for such things, our money won't be going to him.

This was just rotten...partly because it was so totally unnecessary. Most men and women manage just fine to express love and appreciation with flowers, candy, hugs, kisses, and kind words--or even a nice note or card--not defacing national treasures.

Though for expressing one's vaulting ego, marking on national icons might work pretty well. And let's face it, so many more people know his name today than yesterday. Maybe he subscribes to the "no bad publicity...as long as they spell your name right."

We don't subscribe to that motto.
We'd be ashamed to do it--and we wouldn't do it.

In a pinch, a nice pug puppy always expresses affection. And if you MUST leave a mark, the pug puppy will readily wee wee at the base of the icon...that should be enough for anyone. (We'd pick up anything else.)
Old 04-20-2018, 07:47 AM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
One word

MORON!
I am not sure I would have been able to remain an inactive witness. Sometimes a Mans got to do what a Mans got to do!
John
Old 04-20-2018, 07:53 AM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
once again

once again I am so deeply saddened by the behaviours of the human race. why cant we learn?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #15

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
What an example for his kids too!! Not only was his behavior terrible and just plain wrong, but then he asked his kids to be accomplices!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote