P185-80 tires OR ST185-80 Tires - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #15

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
I had a flat on the Element yesterday. I was on the freeway and didn't feel it, but some nice person pulled up next to me and warned me I was real low.

Seeing what happened to my sidewall driving on 1/2 pressure at freeway speeds, I would be more comfy with the a thicker wall. By the time I stopped, the tire still had air, but was riding on the sidewall. Totally destroyed, or, at least, pretty mangled. (I picked up the leavings of a sheetrockers truck. Nails and screws, not to mention a bunch other sharp stuff)

That being said, and the fact that I did not FEEL it (I would have if I drove another mile, for sure) may say something for it tho.

Tire expert, I ain't..

But I do know how to change one I got to use those tools I paid way to much for 3 years ago, and see my stupid donut spare.

sigh .... tire shop tomorrow. Ick.
We purchase the car with a full tow package so full size spare, was told this is because we would not be able to tow with the donut size in trunk for standard spare.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #16

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmarlo View Post
Thanks for everyone's input. I talked to some former SurfSide owners in my town and they told me that it shouldn't matter if I put P185 tires on my trailer. The guys I talked to said that the ST tire is more of a trailer tire but that I wouldnt' ever require the amount of weight those tires are made for and as long as I wasn't trying to race people that I shouldn't run into any problems. I just installed the tires last night and re-packed the bearing with a friend of mine.

I know that when I travel into states and driving on Interstate highways, I'll be the guy on the right side of the road doing 55 miles per hour while most other people are zooming by doing 70. That's fine. I camp because it's to get away for the weekend or go on a small trip. I am not retired etc. and driving around North America touring etc. I think the P tires should be just fine.

It was a total toss up. I really appreciated hearing from everyone and getting their input.
Thanks agian as this site is a GOLDMINE for information.
Hope you accounted for the 10% reduced load capacity while towing with P rated tires. Have fun and drive safe.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #17

Ontario
Registry
Just checked the sticker on the door says trailer tires size is "B75x14 b" the replacements "st205/75r14 b" would be the modern equivalent in radial trailer tires.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
In my experience none ST tires on a trailer result in a bit of a rougher ride - to much bounce. As a result I stick with ST radials on my trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
When buying tires I always insist that they be dated at less than 6 months old. If all that's on the shelf is older tires, I ask them to either order fresh tires or I would shop elsewhere.

FWIW: In years of RV'ing, with between 2 and 6 tires on the rv, the only tires I have ever had fail were Michelin's on a mini-van, with less than 1 year of use and 10,000 miles on them.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:14 PM   #20

Ontario
Registry
st205/75r14 c trailer tires we purchased ride very well pulls like a dream at 90 kph

Tags
tires