Parking 13' Scamp on mild incline - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-13-2016, 03:43 PM   #15

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Once it is level ( assuming single axle ), it is no longer on a slope.
Oooh Yes it is. The driveway is sloped. If the wheels are not blocked, or the jack and kickstands not down, it WILL roll.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:13 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Iowa
I am in agreement with the quality choks and sandbag crowd. In my work life we would have trailers moved by the wind especially when parked off the corner of a building where there was a wind tunnel effect. Depending upon your mowing situation, you could install a driven stake with a ring and put a piece of chain from the stake to the trailer. Then put the unhook on your checklist. You don't need the American graffiti cop car scene in your driveway. The more points of contact the better is my no roll motto.
Dave

Old 06-13-2016, 08:42 PM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Once it is level ( assuming single axle ), it is no longer on a slope.
Right, and you have to be careful in situations like this because if you raise the hitch too much over level, you will have to put chocks on the other side of the wheel because the trailer can actually start to roll up-hill!!

It is a little-known fact that phenomenon exists in Glenn's part of Canada because the country is further north where the globe curves back and is more flat. So what would be inclines here in the US are really level areas in Canada.

If you don’t believe it, get a globe and check for yourself. See, tol ya so, Eh?
Old 06-14-2016, 10:56 PM   #18

Name: JayFrad
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Thanks everyone for the great advice!

Hello, I would like to thank everyone out there for their great advice. We bought the 13' Scamp a few days ago, and this is literally the first thing I've ever towed and tried to park, so it's been a leaning experience.

Thanks for the advice regarding the rear stabilizers, I forgot they were there. I lowered them and lifted the tongue up a bit more and that helped a great deal.

I also have some better/ solid rubber chocks on order. I will do as suggested, and let the Scamp roll into the chocks a bit. They have the hole in them, so that I can tie a rope through them and around the wheel as you recommended.

Again, thank you all, can't wait to take our first camping trip in the Scamp!
Old 06-15-2016, 02:02 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
A bit off topic Jay but as you're a newbie I'm tossing this to you. Make sure the tires aren't aged out, the wiring is working and check and maybe repack the bearings. Use it for a season to see how it works for you before you do any mods.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:44 AM   #20

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
A bit off topic Jay but as you're a newbie I'm tossing this to you. Make sure the tires aren't aged out, the wiring is working and check and maybe repack the bearings. Use it for a season to see how it works for you before you do any mods.

Absolutely! Our amerigo came with what appeared to be almost unused tires, but upon checking the date, turned out they were nine years old! Paul just replaced all three (the spare, covered with a spare tire cover, was FLAT and punctured...unusable, surprise, but the tread was still "lovely.")

We towed it hundreds of miles home with no spare!

We've been very lucky.

Paul cleaned and packed the wheel bearings (or whatever it is one does with wheel bearings, he trained originally as an auto mechanic) before putting the new tires on the cleaned and repainted rims. He did the rims in a nice white, the hubs in black, so the Dexstar wheels look kinda cool with their big X middles. Also kinda weird, but cool).

We'll be trading the three tires around a couple times a year to keep the wear even...the tire place said it was OK to rotate these like that.

We got class B tires, rated 1750 lbs each...turns out the trailer right now weighs 1763 (total) and I doubt we're going to pack nearly 1750 pounds worth of dog food, extra underwear, and toothpaste! So I think we're going to be fine for weight.

Tags
scamp