Parking 13' Scamp on mild incline - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #1

Name: JayFrad
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Exclamation Parking 13' Scamp on mild incline

Hello, newbie member & Scamp owner here. We recently got our 2004 Scamp, and want to park it in our driveway that has a mild incline. I choked it with these seemingly cheap orange plastic wheel chokes and cranked up the tongue jack to almost level, sitting on a 2x4. Also threw some 2x4s in from of each wheel as a backup. First off, is this sufficient to keep it from sliding? It seems solid at the moment, but afraid to actually step inside, as I feel it might start inching down the driveway. Are there better chokes that work better for inclines? I've seen the rubber ones, but they look like they are too big for the scamps wheel size. I've also looked at some wheel locks online, but seem to be more for anti-theft. Finally, is there a choke that might keep the tongue jack from sliding down the driveway? Again, it seems fine now, but worried about stepping in. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
20160612_145152.jpg  
JayFrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'd suggest, as a first measure, deploying the rear stabilizers and transferring a little weight to them. My guess, though it is hard to gauge the incline from the picture, is it will stay put and feel stable at that point.

BTW, nice looking trailer. Congratulations!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My 17' trailer has spend seven winters in a similar situation.
I place chocks ( not chokes ) front and back of the tires on both sides.
Jack sits on wood blocks so I can crank it up to level. It's not gone anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
scale setup2.jpg  
Old 06-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I find the cheepo chocks slid out real easy if there is no pressure on them. You might want to get better ones.

But regardless of which ones you use, you can park the trailer, then place the downslope chocks, and then while still hitched, allow the rig to roll the 1/4 inch or so downhill that is needed to put weight on the chocks.

When you get ready to leave, you might have to remove the upslope chocks, then back the trailer an inch or less to relieve the pressure so you can get the chocks free.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I put the rear stabilizers down - that way if I enter the trailer and go to the rear of it the tongue does not pop up.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #6

Once it is level ( assuming single axle ), it is no longer on a slope.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:41 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
So once it is level, you can remove the chocks?

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:55 PM   #8

Let's put it this way. I don't want to try it just to prove me right. But, I would say there is very little pressure for the trailer to move "downhill".
Old 06-12-2016, 08:09 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to the group Jay. Looks like your driveway is asphalt. I would use a rubber type chock for a good grip on it. Wood & plastic ones will have tendencies to slide. One other thing you may want to do/try is to drill a hole through the sides of the chock, run a light rope through it then around the tire and through one of the holes in the rim. I'm on a concrete slab with a slight slope to the street. The prevailing wind hits my SD almost head on and can blow the uphill chocks away. It only took one windstorm and finding the TT moved uphill to tie the chocks to the wheels. Hasn't moved again .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:21 PM   #10

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I have a similar situation at my house. I made some chocks out of some 4X4 and a small piece of plywood. The 4X4 is glued and nailed to the plywood so the weight of the trailer is on the plywood. I do have to back the trailer onto the plywood (my driveway slopes to the back) but once its parked, it's solid. I can't remove the chock until I pull the trailer forward.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Parking 13' Scamp on mild incline

All good advice. Better chocks and using the rear stabilizers should do it. If the slope isn't too steep, the stabilizers alone might be enough, so I'd try that first.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #12

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Paul brought home 16 industrial sand bags from work.

He sets the cheapo-plastic chocks and then bunts some sandbags against them. He put sandbags in front of and behind the weels and around the stabilizer jacks (ours are separate from the rig) that were perched on 4x4s laid sideways. I didn't realize how sloping our driveway was until Paul levelled the trailer so inside work would be easier to level.

It's finally rolling--he took it to show it off (incomplete but stable) today to his old job, the one that helped weld and repair the frame, and has been so very helpful to us. He took 3 dozen assorted doughnuts as a first reward for the guys...

And I see he forgot to take the chocks with him!
Oh, well, they have lots of sandbags where he's going!
Old 06-13-2016, 11:28 AM   #13

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Talking Best tire leveler

I use a Bal tire leveler as my driveway is also inclined. I take it everywhere I take my trailer as many campsites are also not level. I won't travel without it. Available at Amazon or RV supply stores.
amazon.com/BAL-28050-Light-Trailer-Leveler/dp/B000BH5MAA
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:44 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
The only time I saw a trailer "override" a set of chocks was a boat that rocked back & forth in the wind (45-55MPH) enough to loosen the chocks & blew it across a parking lot & almost into the nearby lake. It also blew my portable solar panel 20' away from the trailer (with 2 10 lb rocks on the legs). To add to the excitement, there was a Trillium parked directly up hill from me on a very sloped site that only had a couple of small rocks as chocks. Somehow, it stayed there. (Quail Creek State Park, UT).
Attached Thumbnails
ASH_3306.jpg   ASH_3245.jpg  

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:43 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Oooh Yes it is. The driveway is sloped. If the wheels are not blocked, or the jack and kickstands not down, it WILL roll.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I am in agreement with the quality choks and sandbag crowd. In my work life we would have trailers moved by the wind especially when parked off the corner of a building where there was a wind tunnel effect. Depending upon your mowing situation, you could install a driven stake with a ring and put a piece of chain from the stake to the trailer. Then put the unhook on your checklist. You don't need the American graffiti cop car scene in your driveway. The more points of contact the better is my no roll motto.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:42 PM   #17

Name: Jim
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Right, and you have to be careful in situations like this because if you raise the hitch too much over level, you will have to put chocks on the other side of the wheel because the trailer can actually start to roll up-hill!!

It is a little-known fact that phenomenon exists in Glenn's part of Canada because the country is further north where the globe curves back and is more flat. So what would be inclines here in the US are really level areas in Canada.

If you don’t believe it, get a globe and check for yourself. See, tol ya so, Eh?
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:56 PM   #18

Name: JayFrad
Oregon
Thanks everyone for the great advice!

Hello, I would like to thank everyone out there for their great advice. We bought the 13' Scamp a few days ago, and this is literally the first thing I've ever towed and tried to park, so it's been a leaning experience.

Thanks for the advice regarding the rear stabilizers, I forgot they were there. I lowered them and lifted the tongue up a bit more and that helped a great deal.

I also have some better/ solid rubber chocks on order. I will do as suggested, and let the Scamp roll into the chocks a bit. They have the hole in them, so that I can tie a rope through them and around the wheel as you recommended.

Again, thank you all, can't wait to take our first camping trip in the Scamp!
JayFrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:02 AM   #19

Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
A bit off topic Jay but as you're a newbie I'm tossing this to you. Make sure the tires aren't aged out, the wiring is working and check and maybe repack the bearings. Use it for a season to see how it works for you before you do any mods.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:44 AM   #20

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
A bit off topic Jay but as you're a newbie I'm tossing this to you. Make sure the tires aren't aged out, the wiring is working and check and maybe repack the bearings. Use it for a season to see how it works for you before you do any mods.

Absolutely! Our amerigo came with what appeared to be almost unused tires, but upon checking the date, turned out they were nine years old! Paul just replaced all three (the spare, covered with a spare tire cover, was FLAT and punctured...unusable, surprise, but the tread was still "lovely.")

We towed it hundreds of miles home with no spare!

We've been very lucky.

Paul cleaned and packed the wheel bearings (or whatever it is one does with wheel bearings, he trained originally as an auto mechanic) before putting the new tires on the cleaned and repainted rims. He did the rims in a nice white, the hubs in black, so the Dexstar wheels look kinda cool with their big X middles. Also kinda weird, but cool).

We'll be trading the three tires around a couple times a year to keep the wear even...the tire place said it was OK to rotate these like that.

We got class B tires, rated 1750 lbs each...turns out the trailer right now weighs 1763 (total) and I doubt we're going to pack nearly 1750 pounds worth of dog food, extra underwear, and toothpaste! So I think we're going to be fine for weight.

Tags
scamp