Parking and driving with camper in cities - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2015, 02:12 PM   #1

Name: Cosby
Trailer: Currently shopping
New York
Parking and driving with camper in cities

Hello Everyone,

Hope this is the right forum to ask this question. Just wondering what your experiences and recommendations might be about parking and driving a camping trailer in a city? Even large ones, like New York City!

Thank you very much, looking forward to hearing from you,
Cosby

Home - Cosby Gibson
cgib55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We commonly drive through cities with our 13Scamp.
We have even parallel parked in medium cities like Nashville or Twin Cities.
You will have to watch it a little because some streets or restrictions apply, so watch for signs.
WE generally avoid really big cities because we don't speak the language!

BTW; NICE music and wonderful voice!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #3

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Romancing the parking in NYC

Well, we know that big stuff can go on NY streets, because we saw Michael Douglas do it in the movies:

LOL

I'm a west coaster, but in any NY visits, and anything I've ever read or heard, just parking an automobile in NY is bad enough, it seems like finding a spot for an auto and a trailer would be very difficult.

If you must drive through, it would be very helpful if you could drive your route with auto only and scope out what works for TV and trailer. This might not be practical though.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:52 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
We drove through Miami last summer. Then I drove the truck with camper to the airport to drop off my wife, it was 5AM, not many people around, but got some strange looks from the police. Wasn't told I could drop her off, and after she was out with lugage, I was off again.
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:12 PM   #5

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Parking and driving with camper in cities

We camped at the curb in a close-to-downtown Chicago neighborhood for two nights in front of my sons house. Even ran an extension cord out to the Snoozy.

No problem except for the noise of passing cars.

Maneuvering in tight quarters is a pain but then I think "Hey, I'm glad I'm not driving that semi". Finding a parking spot is a real PITA.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:22 PM   #6

Name: Hugh
Trailer: In the market
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Well, we know that big stuff can go on NY streets, because we saw Michael Douglas do it in the movies:

LOL

I'm a west coaster, but in any NY visits, and anything I've ever read or heard, just parking an automobile in NY is bad enough, it seems like finding a spot for an auto and a trailer would be very difficult.

If you must drive through, it would be very helpful if you could drive your route with auto only and scope out what works for TV and trailer. This might not be practical though.
Great movie thanks for the memory
hughharden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:26 PM   #7

Name: Hugh
Trailer: In the market
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by captsteve2002 View Post
We drove through Miami last summer. Then I drove the truck with camper to the airport to drop off my wife, it was 5AM, not many people around, but got some strange looks from the police. Wasn't told I could drop her off, and after she was out with lugage, I was off again.

I tried to pick someone up at Calgary airport with an Escape 17B in tow and was told I could not wait for five minutes but had to go to the overheight parking lot. Bit of a scam I think.
hughharden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #8

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Generally we try to avoid the big cities (too many pedestrians and cars), but pulling a small camper like our 16' Scamp is not a problem. Parking can usually be found although it may not be as convenient since it's rare to find a spot long enough in the most popular areas, and underground or multi-level car parks are usually not tall enough.
We were driving by Mystic CT once, and while not a BIG city, it sure does get congested on weekends. We were determined to try out some Mystic Pizza (didn't see Julia Roberts though) and we were able to find street parking about 2 short blocks from the pizza place.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #9

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13(sold!) & TDI tugboat
Ohio
Same here, we avoid big city downtown if possible. When we are on surface streets, we pick a lane to drive in and stay in it. If we need to park, we look for a curbside spot for car & scamper (which is hardly longer than common crewcab PU truck), or look for a public parking lot with 2 empty spots in a pullthrough configuration.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughharden View Post
I tried to pick someone up at Calgary airport with an Escape 17B in tow and was told I could not wait for five minutes but had to go to the overheight parking lot. Bit of a scam I think.
I just keep driving around. Till my party shows up.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
San Francisco

We mistakingly took 101 through San Francisco twice! I don't know how I did it, but the first time we found a nice straight road that led to the Golden Gate. But we haven't been able to since then.
As far as parking, malls or places with head to head parking we find work well if you can find two empty spaces head to head.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Go through the city very early and find a place to park. Then take a nap in the trailer until the working stiffs in the big city start work. Now wake up and walk or take a cab to the sites you want to see. Its easy to park at the bus and train station and private parking lots extremely early and take a cab, their all lined up waiting for you. Nothings cheep and you will only do it once anyhow. City's and RV's don't mix. Just like camping in your Prius.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:20 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have driven through the downtown of a number of large cities - have gone through downtown Vancouver during rush hour many times.

I even went shopping in downtown Portland the last Saturday before (2 days before) Christmas once :-) best part was I lucked out and found two open parking spots I could pull right through just a block from the store downtown I wanted to go to.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
We recently drove in DC. GPS took us right on the Mall. We did get redirected away from the Capitol by Capitol police. I guess hauling a trailer by the Capitol is frowned upon. We then stayed at a place within walking distance of the Capitol so parking was very tight. They had off-street parking behind the row house we stayed in. It was tricky to get the trailer in there from the alley but we managed it. Driving through any city does not worry me. Parking is a different story though!

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:22 PM   #15

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan L. View Post
Driving through any city does not worry me. Parking is a different story though!
That's it...in a nutshell!
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin