ParkLiner owners - how are your saftey chains attached? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #61

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Mine didn't come with a Bragman switch/breakaway cable. I wonder why? And should I add one? Probably right?

Frank
Check the towing laws of your state and those you tow in. Many states require by law a breakaway switch be installed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #62

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Check the towing laws of your state and those you tow in. Many states require by law a breakaway switch be installed.
That's a good idea Carol, thanks. To be honest, I don't think that gets checked much, but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea to have.

I think I could probably do a neater job hooking one up than guys at the factory just slapping one on anyways. Plus I have till May to worry about it.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #63

Registry
Quote:
To be honest, I don't think that gets checked much, but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea to have.

Frank
Like many thing in life Frank we can get away without something on your set up or not doing something to the letter of the law .... that is until something goes wrong & thats when someone is mostly likely to look to see if you have one or not.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #64

New York
Quote:
Like many thing in life Frank we can get away without something on your set up or not doing something to the letter of the law .... that is until something goes wrong & thats when someone is mostly likely to look to see if you have one or not.
To be honest Carol, I've never quite figured out why a Bragman is needed if you have good chains. I can't imagine my trailer coming unhooked and rolling away in any instance. I guess if somebody removed the pin holding the ball mount in place while I was stopped on the road for lunch. Still, I've been hauling trailers more than 40 years without a Bragman, and nary a problem.

Please don't take this the wrong way! I'll get one!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #65

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Well, if your hitch comes off the ball and the trailer is attached to the vehicle by the chains, what's stopping it from coming up and smacking you in the rear when you realize your predicament and hit the brakes on the tow vehicle?
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #66
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Since it connects the brake line to +12 when pulled, the end of the umbilical inside the trailer is a good place to make the connection. If you want to read pages of debate, research whether it should activate before or after the safety chains break. The position of the switch is determined by this decision. Raz

p.s. I made mine the last defense.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #67

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Since it connects the brake line to +12 when pulled, the end of the umbilical inside the trailer is a good place to make the connection. If you want to read pages of debate, research whether it should activate before or after the safety chains break. The position of the switch is determined by this decision. Raz

p.s. I made mine the last defense.
Thanks Raz, that is very helpful.

When you say "I made mine the last defense" do you mean it will only activate after the chains have broke?

I see they have coiled pull cords now that not only look cool, but save problems with regular steel cords.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #68
Raz

Quote:
Thanks Raz, that is very helpful.

When you say "I made mine the last defense" do you mean it will only activate after the chains have broke?

I see they have coiled pull cords now that not only look cool, but save problems with regular steel cords.

Frank
Yes. As I recall some argued that the trailer brakes being activated would preserve the chains keeping the trailer with the tow vehicle. The others suggested that as long as the chains are intact the umbilical is still attached and the driver should have control of the brakes. That sounded better to me. Raz
Old 11-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #69

Registry
Quote:
To be honest Carol, I've never quite figured out why a Bragman is needed if you have good chains.
Well if by Bragman you are referring to a break away switch I can come up with a few good reasons to have one.

Not everyone remembers to hitch up their chains all the time Funny enough not so long ago I looked over to admire a shine new fiberglass trailer built locally and saw the chains hanging over the tongue and not connected. The owner was very thankful when I pointed it out to him.

Chains have been known to fail - if I recall someone here recently redid their chain connection as the original not so old connection didnt look all that secure - was badly bent? Also as others have mentioned the break away is good to have to prevent the trailer from slamming into the back of the tug when you stop after a disconnect even if the chains stayed connected.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #70

New York
Quote:
Yes. As I recall some argued that the trailer brakes being activated would preserve the chains keeping the trailer with the tow vehicle. The others suggested that as long as the chains are intact the umbilical is still attached and the driver should have control of the brakes. That sounded better to me. Raz
Raz, if you wired yours yourself, can you tell me how you did it? That sounds like the way I would rather have it as well. Chains are very important to me; I've been known to swap out small link or old rusty stuff for new. In fact, safety chains are what started this thread, and I have a much better set-up on it now than what it was when I bought this trailer less than 3 weeks ago.

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #71
Raz

My Trillium has a terminal strip where they connect the umbilical to the trailer wiring. I connected the switch there. Since it's just a switch, connect either wire to the +12, the other to the brake wire. To test, jack a wheel , spin, and yank on the cord. Don't leave the plastic separator out too long, you'll drain your battery. Someone suggested not to test with the controller connected as it might damage some controllers??? Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-1765548373.jpg  
Old 11-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #72

New York
Quote:
My Trillium has a terminal strip where they connect the umbilical to the trailer wiring. I connected the switch there. Since it's just a switch, connect either wire to the +12, the other to the brake wire. To test, jack a wheel , spin, and yank on the cord. Don't leave the plastic separator out too long, you'll drain your battery. Someone suggested not to test with the controller connected as it might damage some controllers??? Raz
Excellent! Thanks Raz. I'll check it out more this weekend. With luck, I'll find a terminal junction like yours. It looks nice and clean.

Tomorrow is our 3 week anniversary of being ParkLiner owners!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #73
Raz

Bad news Frank. I'm a little north of you and it's snowing.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #74

New York
Quote:
Bad news Frank. I'm a little north of you and it's snowing.
Bah! Where in VT Raz? We used to live in Bennington many many moons ago! Now we're south of Albany in the town of Coeymans.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #75

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
You missed out Frank. I'm about 70 miles southwest of you near Oneonta and I could have gone out and made snow angels on the deck an hour ago. Now it's all melted. but still flurries in the air.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #76

New York
Gee Brian, I feel bad. Oneonta isn't in the snow belt is it? Seems like you're too far south?

Busy weekend ahead, but I'll get through it. Had election day off this past Tuesday, now have a 3 day weekend due to Veteran's Day. Veteran's Day morning I'm off to Albany early to get a 2-7/8 hole saw, then watch the annual parade (starts at 11:11) with some friends.

I can assure you I do NOT want snow!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #77

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Well if by Bragman you are referring to a break away switch I can come up with a few good reasons to have one.

Not everyone remembers to hitch up their chains all the time Funny enough not so long ago I looked over to admire a shine new fiberglass trailer built locally and saw the chains hanging over the tongue and not connected. The owner was very thankful when I pointed it out to him.

Chains have been known to fail - if I recall someone here recently redid their chain connection as the original not so old connection didnt look all that secure - was badly bent? Also as others have mentioned the break away is good to have to prevent the trailer from slamming into the back of the tug when you stop after a disconnect even if the chains stayed connected.
If your trailer comes detached and is hanging on the chains your trailer cord should still be attached and your trailer should still have brakes avoiding the slamming the trailer into the back of the tow. The breakaway switch comes on its own when the trailer is fully detached provided there is a properly wired battery for the brakes. With the tow chain specification of 1 inch below the coupler for the chains the coupler could hardly get off the ball.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #78

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
If your trailer comes detached and is hanging on the chains your trailer cord should still be attached and your trailer should still have brakes avoiding the slamming the trailer into the back of the tow. The breakaway switch comes on its own when the trailer is fully detached provided there is a properly wired battery for the brakes. With the tow chain specification of 1 inch below the coupler for the chains the coupler could hardly get off the ball.
Rax in a perfect word what you say is true - but take a look at some of the hook ups on the highways and while waiting to enter a state park or two. There are a lot of people who have chains to long or to short. Some have pretty short electrical cords that wouldnt take a whole lot to pull out - others have a really long connection - actually saw one wrapped around a coupler a few times to keep it from dragging... wonder what happens to that connection should the coupler suddenly pop off the ball.

Sadly it appears there may be lots of people pick up a new to them trailer and as long as they can get everything attached they leave it as is.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #79

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I don't have a single vehicle that I could leave the chains only one inch under the coupler and still turn. As for drilling frames, it's fine with a little thought given. It's very hard for a smooth round hole to crack. If you leave it rough, it's more likely. These are mild steel frames, they aren't made of 160k psi truck frames, one has nothing to do with the other. IIRC, it's illegal in places to weld the safety chains on. The haz from welding can create as many problems as drilling a hole, and weaken the chain. Safety chains should be crossed, never twisted, and the open end of the hook faces up.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #80

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Getting back to Frank on post # 43 with ? to your set up of safety chains.
The chain is 1 length, the centre link attached to the front bolt, the chain then goes back under the jack support, this allows for extra attachment as the jack winder will also be a support if the bolt lets go.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner