ParkLiner owners - how are your saftey chains attached? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #57

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I bet mine never had one. Should I add one, and if I do, how does it get hooked in to power? Safety chains aren't enough eh?
Frank
Beyond my range of experience, I'm afraid, but I bet there is someone out here on the forum who knows.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #58

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. in NY View Post
Beyond my range of experience, I'm afraid, but I bet there is someone out here on the forum who knows.
Well Brian, there are instructions here: Breakaway Kit Installation for Single and Dual Brake Axle Trailers | etrailer.com

But maybe I should wait till the batteries get moved, and/or just have ParkLiner install it when I'm down there in May?

Frank

2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #59

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Registry
Quote:
But maybe I should wait till the batteries get moved, and/or just have ParkLiner install it when I'm down there in May?
Frank
And that was my next suggestion.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #60

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. in NY View Post
And that was my next suggestion.
Cool. I tink dat is what I will do!

Enjoy yer day!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #61

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Mine didn't come with a Bragman switch/breakaway cable. I wonder why? And should I add one? Probably right?

Frank
Check the towing laws of your state and those you tow in. Many states require by law a breakaway switch be installed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #62

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Check the towing laws of your state and those you tow in. Many states require by law a breakaway switch be installed.
That's a good idea Carol, thanks. To be honest, I don't think that gets checked much, but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea to have.

I think I could probably do a neater job hooking one up than guys at the factory just slapping one on anyways. Plus I have till May to worry about it.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #63

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
To be honest, I don't think that gets checked much, but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea to have.

Frank
Like many thing in life Frank we can get away without something on your set up or not doing something to the letter of the law .... that is until something goes wrong & thats when someone is mostly likely to look to see if you have one or not.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #64

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Like many thing in life Frank we can get away without something on your set up or not doing something to the letter of the law .... that is until something goes wrong & thats when someone is mostly likely to look to see if you have one or not.
To be honest Carol, I've never quite figured out why a Bragman is needed if you have good chains. I can't imagine my trailer coming unhooked and rolling away in any instance. I guess if somebody removed the pin holding the ball mount in place while I was stopped on the road for lunch. Still, I've been hauling trailers more than 40 years without a Bragman, and nary a problem.

Please don't take this the wrong way! I'll get one!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #65

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Well, if your hitch comes off the ball and the trailer is attached to the vehicle by the chains, what's stopping it from coming up and smacking you in the rear when you realize your predicament and hit the brakes on the tow vehicle?
Old 11-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #66
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Since it connects the brake line to +12 when pulled, the end of the umbilical inside the trailer is a good place to make the connection. If you want to read pages of debate, research whether it should activate before or after the safety chains break. The position of the switch is determined by this decision. Raz

p.s. I made mine the last defense.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #67

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Since it connects the brake line to +12 when pulled, the end of the umbilical inside the trailer is a good place to make the connection. If you want to read pages of debate, research whether it should activate before or after the safety chains break. The position of the switch is determined by this decision. Raz

p.s. I made mine the last defense.
Thanks Raz, that is very helpful.

When you say "I made mine the last defense" do you mean it will only activate after the chains have broke?

I see they have coiled pull cords now that not only look cool, but save problems with regular steel cords.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #68
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Thanks Raz, that is very helpful.

When you say "I made mine the last defense" do you mean it will only activate after the chains have broke?

I see they have coiled pull cords now that not only look cool, but save problems with regular steel cords.

Frank
Yes. As I recall some argued that the trailer brakes being activated would preserve the chains keeping the trailer with the tow vehicle. The others suggested that as long as the chains are intact the umbilical is still attached and the driver should have control of the brakes. That sounded better to me. Raz
Old 11-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #69

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
To be honest Carol, I've never quite figured out why a Bragman is needed if you have good chains.
Well if by Bragman you are referring to a break away switch I can come up with a few good reasons to have one.

Not everyone remembers to hitch up their chains all the time Funny enough not so long ago I looked over to admire a shine new fiberglass trailer built locally and saw the chains hanging over the tongue and not connected. The owner was very thankful when I pointed it out to him.

Chains have been known to fail - if I recall someone here recently redid their chain connection as the original not so old connection didnt look all that secure - was badly bent? Also as others have mentioned the break away is good to have to prevent the trailer from slamming into the back of the tug when you stop after a disconnect even if the chains stayed connected.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #70

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Yes. As I recall some argued that the trailer brakes being activated would preserve the chains keeping the trailer with the tow vehicle. The others suggested that as long as the chains are intact the umbilical is still attached and the driver should have control of the brakes. That sounded better to me. Raz
Raz, if you wired yours yourself, can you tell me how you did it? That sounds like the way I would rather have it as well. Chains are very important to me; I've been known to swap out small link or old rusty stuff for new. In fact, safety chains are what started this thread, and I have a much better set-up on it now than what it was when I bought this trailer less than 3 weeks ago.

Thanks!

Frank

2012 ParkLiner #006

Tags
parkliner