ParkLiner owners - how are your saftey chains attached? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-30-2013, 06:06 AM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
ParkLiner owners - how are your saftey chains attached?

When we went down to NJ to pick up #006, the safety chain was one long piece wrapped around the jack, then wound under the tongue and over to the hitch. On my F-150, they turned out to be tighter than I would like, but off we went. Never having seen safety chains attached like that, it made me wonder how other ParkLiners are set up for safety chains. Pictures would be particularly helpful!

I unwrapped mine last night and cut it in half. Looks like a 1/2" bolt will fit through it, and I'm planning on drilling holes in the tongue and attaching each half to each side. First I'd like to see some photos of how others are done.

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Sounds like mine I guess...there is a bolt going through the chain and I think the hitch...sorry its not here...take a photo of it and if I can remember when I swing by my moms today I will take a photo of mine.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
There is a "U" shaped bolt made for securing a chain to a flat surface. It will take two holes, bit is a lot stronger than a single bolt and much easier on the securing link.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #4

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Sounds like mine I guess...there is a bolt going through the chain and I think the hitch...sorry its not here...take a photo of it and if I can remember when I swing by my moms today I will take a photo of mine.
There was a bolt mine was sorta on too Deryk, but it wasn't doing much good. I could take the chain off without loosening the bolt!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 10-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #5

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
There is a "U" shaped bolt made for securing a chain to a flat surface. It will take two holes, bit is a lot stronger than a single bolt and much easier on the securing link.
Huh. Never thought about a u-shaped bolt Bob. That's a good idea, but I've already cut this chain in half. Sooner or later I will bolt both ends to the tongue, just wondering how other ParkLiner owners do it.

I've had lots of trailers over the decades, but never one with a single safety chain. All my trailers have double chains that crisscross under the hitch, and are long enough to be an inch off level when hooked to the tow vehicle.

Guess I'll just go ahead and do it!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 10-30-2013, 06:57 AM   #6

No problem, you need two chain lengths anyway.
Here's what the U-Bolts look like:

Replacement U-Bolts For Safety Chain Hookup - By Curt Mfg

Generic ones at a hardware store will be less expensive.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #7

New York
Quote:
No problem, you need two chain lengths anyway.
Here's what the U-Bolts look like:

Replacement U-Bolts For Safety Chain Hookup - By Curt Mfg

Generic ones at a hardware store will be less expensive.
No way I could use those things Bob, they're way too long. They must be specific to goose-neck hitches. I can understand using a small (much shorter) u-bolt if I hadn't already cut the chain. I am familiar with u-bolts, having worked at NAPA for many years.

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 10-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #8

We are missing something here.

You need two chains, one for each side of the frame, and the U-bolts are used to permanently secure the trailer end of the chain to each side of the frame. The other end of each chain has it's hook or whatever to attack to the loops or whatever on the TV.

Those were just samples. Google "Safety Chain U-Bolt Kits" for more ideas.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #9

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I found this 1 pic that I had of mine. I have it wrapped around the tongue jack then criss crossed to the hitch on my Rav4. Mine is just long enough by a couple of links so its not snug. Before the wdh I had to add a 12" length on each side because of the setup I used.
Attached Thumbnails
safetychain.jpg  

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #10

New York
Quote:
We are missing something here.

You need two chains, one for each side of the frame, and the U-bolts are used to permanently secure the trailer end of the chain to each side of the frame. The other end of each chain has it's hook or whatever to attack to the loops or whatever on the TV.

Those were just samples. Google "Safety Chain U-Bolt Kits" for more ideas.
This is all new to me - the u-bolt thing for the trailer side of safety chains. I've always used the biggest diameter bolts I could fit through a chain link with double flat washers (one on each side) a lock washer and nut or nylok. Having said that, this u-bolt idea sounds better, so thanks! I'll do just that.

Boy, I love forums!

Pics soon.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 10-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
My Scamp has a U bolt on the under side of the tongue that the chains are attached to. Its an old trailer so probable not up to current safety standards though

If your interested here is the SAE standard J684 dated June, 2004 for Trailer Safety Chain Standards. Says to use two separate U bolts.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #12

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Good link Carol!
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
For what it is worth there was a long discussion on drilling holes through trailer frames and the general consensus was that it was a bad idea as it can encourage cracks and eventual frame failure. My chains were simply welded on. I've used three different tow vehicles and have change the chain length using threaded links and more chain. Finally, Frank, a picture of your set up would make it not only clearer for those of us without Parkliners but also for future Parkliner owners reading this thread. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #14

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
I found this 1 pic that I had of mine. I have it wrapped around the tongue jack then criss crossed to the hitch on my Rav4. Mine is just long enough by a couple of links so its not snug. Before the wdh I had to add a 12" length on each side because of the setup I used.
Why would they weld the jack on? Then bolt the chain to the jack? Seems weird.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Why would they weld the jack on? Then bolt the chain to the jack? Seems weird.
Glad I wasnt the only one it sounded a bit weird to.
Perhaps a picture of it would help to understand it better.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I use a pair of the chain connectors at the trailer end. Allows you to remove the chains when in storage. It adds one more layer to anti theft efforts. No chains and no wiring may help to get someone pulled over. Something like this but not stainless.
Apex Stainless Inc.-Stainless Quick Link(7350S)
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #17

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I use a pair of the chain connectors at the trailer end. Allows you to remove the chains when in storage. It adds one more layer to anti theft efforts. No chains and no wiring may help to get someone pulled over. Something like this but not stainless.
Apex Stainless Inc.-Stainless Quick Link(7350S)
Well that brings up the issue of which one? Sized to fit through the existing chain and then the correct strength to hold the TT in case of (accidental) use.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
I went out and took a couple of photos on PL34. The safety chain is attached at the front of the tongue jack with a grade 7 bolt.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chain attachment.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	66181

The chains pass around the back of the jack and cross underneath the "A" frame. If I pull the chain straight forward and measure from the end of the coupler it is about 22 inches.

Name:	chain length 1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	361.1 KB
ID:	66182

Measuring from the bolt to the end of the chain gives me about 36 inches on each side.

Name:	chain length total.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	66183

I have plenty of slack to reach the attachment loops on the hitch on my Tacoma without having so much that the chain drags on the pavement.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #19

Registry
Thanks Brian - as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Wonder why one couldnt just use the same bolt thats there but put the chains so they are attached to the under side of the tongue and just shorten them so they dont need to be looped around all over the tongue.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Thanks Brain - as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Wonder why one couldnt just use the same bolt thats there but put the chains so they are attached to the under side of the tongue and just shorten them so they dont need to be looped around all over the tongue.
The system shown in the photo is actually quite strong and does not rely on the connection between the bolt and the chain for anything other than to keep the chain from falling off the trailer when not in use. The chain is actually being supported by being looped around the jack and then going under the frame to the hitch. If you were to place the chain on the underside of the tongue and fasten to a bolt in a similar manner, and run the chains from the bolt directly to the hitch, then you would be relying on the strength of the chain-bolt connection to hold your trailer up in an emergency situation.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner