Passat Wagon? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #15
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
I like your VW diesel choice. My only hesitancy is VW reliability. I had hoped the CRV diesel would be made available in the USA but it's not to be. It looks like the big push is to hybrids with Honda.

I suspect my next vehicle will be a hybrid of some variety.

I like the Hybrid concept because the electric side has very high torque at low speeds, great for starting up a trailer load and parking. With improving battery technology, it won't be long before we see extended range electric vehicles.

honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #16
Name: Sherri
Trailer: In the market
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
On another note, I see that the OP intends to stick with a 13' trailer. If the one he selects happens not to have brakes, it is not a problem to add a new axle with brakes, or it may be possible to add brakes to the existing axle.
I've heard/read conflicting opinions about the need for brakes on a 13'. Some owners have added them, others don't feel the need. I know we would feel safer, so we would probably have it done if the one we buy doesn't already come with them.

scribbledot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #17
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Needs/wants and maintenance issues. Pick one. I went with maintenance issues. It's FAR cheaper to replace brakes on a trailer than a tug. You'll wear out your tug brakes faster pulling a trailer that doesn't have brakes.

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote