Payload and pickups, interesting facts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #1
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Payload and pickups, interesting facts

On another forum I learned that a 1975 Ford mini pickup had a 1,400lb payload. For a 2,600lb truck that is quite impressive. It makes one wonder why current full sized pick ups that have a curb weight of 5,000lbs still have the 1,400 to 1,500lb ratings.

Ford Courier Facts | eHow.com
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
On another forum I learned that a 1975 Ford mini pickup had a 1,400lb payload. For a 2,600lb truck that is quite impressive. It makes one wonder why current full sized pick ups that have a curb weight of 5,000lbs still have the 1,400 to 1,500lb ratings.

Ford Courier Facts | eHow.com
Increased payload packages in light trucks are mostly accomplished with extra spring rates and heavier tires. (up to the reasonable limits of the carlike axle) Ride and comfort have usurped the position of importance once held by payload.
The newer oversized pickups have often shared many of the same components of their smaller siblings. My Ranger uses the same transmission and differential as it's contemporary F-150 and with actually a stronger V6.
We had a new 1973 PL620 Datsun pick-up which came with overload springs and 6Ply tires (with tubes!) which gave it a load rating equal to some "3/4 ton" trucks of the era. That, combined with the light body and "church pew" seat, gave it a kidney testing ride so rough that I once had two popbottle lids go ballistic less than 5 miles from the house!
I often thought that I might be able to run over a dime and determine it's year by the transferred impact!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The Courier, like many small pickups, was made for an international market. If you have ever seen a truck loaded in Latin America, for instance, you know that they expect to haul a lot of weight and will use what they have to get the job done. The same is true for minivans. I've seen minivan buses in other countries with 20 or more people inside.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Good info Floyd. Everything I have read says the same thing. Very rough ride (heavy leaf spring rate/light weight vehicle).

Here is a perspective of how small these mini trucks were...

http://www.huyler.net/tmp/REPU_parked.jpg
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
New trucks are much cushier riding than old ones. I use to have a Mazda B2000, that thing had a super stiff rear suspension. I still see some old Toyota 1-ton trucks around sometimes (the pre-Tacoma named ones).
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote