Pilot owners please weigh in - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 05:36 PM   #1

Name: Debra
Trailer: Casita 2019
FL
Pilot owners please weigh in

Hi All,

I have been looking at TVs that are SUVs and regularly get your advice. I am now looking at an AWD Pilot (rated at 5,000 towing capacity) and wondering what your experiences are. I want to tow and 17' Casita Spirit Delux. One owner told me the 7-pin connector that Honda put on his Pilot TV did not fit the Casita breaks. He needs some sort of adapter. (Still has not done that.)

Not specifically related to this, but one reason I am looking at the Pilot over the Toyota Highlander is that the tongue weight of this size Casita is reported 420 pounds -- or so I have read on a few posts. The Casita owner's manual puts it at 365 and Casita sales reported this figure as well. Can someone explain the difference? Is is related to the "dry, unloaded" tongue weight as compared to real life? The Pilot has stronger rear suspension I am told, and other aspects of the Pilot seem to be more tow-worthy. Comments? Experiences? Input? As usual, many thanks for educating me!
Debbie in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:10 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My 17ft Casita SD did not have a tongue weight of 365 lbs the day it left the factory . It never had a tongue weight of 365 lbs and it never will
The posted tongue weight of 365 lbs is the weight with
NO options , NO Propane , NO water , NO food , NO cargo
, NO clothes , NO Dishes , NO bedding , NO NOTHING

Again , I suggest you look at the table “ Trailer Weights in the Real World “
The average tongue weight of a 17 ft Casita Deluxe is 427 lbs
Unless you plan on purchasing a Casita without options and traveling with a TOTALLY EMPTY trailer you will never see 365 lbs either !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:27 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie in Florida View Post
...the tongue weight of this size Casita is reported 420 pounds -- or so I have read on a few posts. The Casita owner's manual puts it at 365 and Casita sales reported this figure as well. Can someone explain the difference? Is is related to the "dry, unloaded" tongue weight as compared to real life?...
You got it! "Dry, unloaded" also means before any optional equipment is added. It's the empty, unloaded weight of the base version of the trailer.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:45 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Not a Pilot owner

I've been seeing a few Honda Pilots around town, especially those with what appears to be a factory hitch. Except that I prefer to deal with the local Toyota dealership, I would certainly give the Pilot a try.
Consumer Reports gives the Pilot a "better than average" rating. The Highlander gets a "Much Better than Average" rating.
If, as you say the Pilot has a stiffer rear suspension, it would be better with the Casita's hitch weight. Are you willing to have a bumpier ride when not towing?
We have avoided the need for a WDH by towing a lighter weight trailer, and careful loading of the Tv and trailer.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #5

Name: Cornelius
Trailer: Coleman Destiny Cedar
Minnesota
I am towing a trailer with my 2012 Pilot that weighs approx 3500 lbs. It's not an egg but the Pilot is fantastic for towing. Only problem that I've had is that after 5000 miles this year, I believe that the windows have a magnetism for stones. My windshield caught one in Colorado and one in Texas. At a KOA a weedwhip hurdeled a stone shattering a side window. I do wish I had bought an egg.
Nealster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:27 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
I have been pulling a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe with a 2009 Honda Pilot 4wd and it pulls really well. You just lock it in 3rd gear and it revs a bit high but that's what the owners manual says to do. Gas mileage is not great when pulling, typically 11-13mpg, but I am 65-75mph most of the time. When not pulling 18-24mpg. The factory trailer wiring is 7 pin (Pretty sure hitch and lights are factory standard on 4wd), same as Casita, no problems ever. I installed a Tekonsha brake controller literally in seconds for just the cost of the controller rather than $300+ at dealership. Pull off side panel, plug and done, just screw the unit under the dash. The Pilot is a very good choice for a Casita 17 SD.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:53 PM   #7

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita 17 SD - sold - Lance 1475
Tennessee
I have towed over 16000 miles with my 2017 Pilot/17SD Casita combo. The pilot is a great vehicle for the Casita. I average over 18 mpg and the ride is very comfortable. On flat terrain, I set the cruise at 62 mph and the Pilot does fine. I've towed through the Rockies, up to Glacier, and all over the East coast with no problems. I use a WDH and sway bar, and the Pilot does have the tow package.
jimiller5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:49 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Pilot owners please weigh in

The OP has already bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee. This is an older thread. But for others who may be considering a Pilot...

The Pilot AWD is rated to tow 5000#, so plenty of margin for options. Most Casita 17D’s end up around 3000-3300# with options and gear. The only thing that will be close is tongue weight, which averages 400-425#. Some Pilot owners use a WDH to manage the tongue weight, though Honda does not encourage it.

The Pilot is a little larger than some of the competitors, especially Highlander, in both width and length. Makes compact parking spaces a tight fit. Advantage is it’s the same width as Scamp and Casita trailers, so mirror extensions aren’t needed, and the combination tracks and backs nicely.

And yes, Honda makes towing set-up easy in terms of wiring. It’s one reason I chose a Pilot over the competition. We have 150K trouble-free miles on our 2011, about 10% towing a smaller molded trailer. The non-towing ride, by the way, is very comfortable, not “bumpy” at all. Honda has hit a sweet spot between load carrying and comfort.

The Ridgeline is an even better choice if the pickup body style works. It has a stouter rear suspension and can likely handle the tongue weight of a Casita 17D without WDH.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I'm considering trading my Ridgeline for a Pilot. I'm not concerned about the ability to tow my Campster, but I am curious about the swing of the tailgate. For current Pilot owners, preferably with the latest body style (2017 or newer), should I be concerned about clearance past the trailer jack to access the back area when still hooked up? I have about 1 inch clearance to drop the tailgate of the Ridgeline.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #10

Name: Cornelius
Trailer: Coleman Destiny Cedar
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
I'm considering trading my Ridgeline for a Pilot. I'm not concerned about the ability to tow my Campster, but I am curious about the swing of the tailgate. For current Pilot owners, preferably with the latest body style (2017 or newer), should I be concerned about clearance past the trailer jack to access the back area when still hooked up? I have about 1 inch clearance to drop the tailgate of the Ridgeline.
Your tailgate swings down to A horizontal position. I do have the 2013 but it does have a massive large hatch. I can't say for sure but the rear hatch swings, like mine, in an upward manner. It doesn't look as high as mine but mine clears with many inches to spare. You can measure it out on your trailer with a yardstick(vertical) and and a tape measure (horozontal) at home. Then take the devices to the dealership to see if the hatch clears. Dont forget to add "X" inches for the hitch to bumper.
Nealster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:52 AM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
Get the car you want to get, the trailer jack issue can always be solved with a different style of jack. You could get a trailer jack that bolts further back onto the side of the tongue framing instead of using one that is in the front center.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:02 AM   #12

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita 17 SD - sold - Lance 1475
Tennessee
I have a '17 Pilot and a 17SD Casita. There are several inches clearance between the tailgate and jack.
jimiller5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimiller5 View Post
I have a '17 Pilot and a 17SD Casita. There are several inches clearance between the tailgate and jack.
Thanks for the reply. If there is swing up room with the Casita, I'm sure it will work with my Campster.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote