Play Pac brakes? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #1

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
Play Pac brakes?

So I got it registered!!! Next step...I have a 10 day inspection sticker to get everything fixed and inspected. The tires are new and the lights all work. But in NY if it is there it has to work...and it has brakes. I dont know where to start with this. I know they are 10" and thats all. I am looking through all the posts, but was wondering if anyone with a Play Pac has any experience with the brakes?
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
do you mean you need to have electric brakes added to the Play Pac?

we haven't gotten that far, but i do know we dont have anything like that on the Play Pac at present. towing with the 4X4 though - we dont even know its back there.

at least this is something we know there is a solution to ... whew eh?!
maybe Jim can chime in? good luck!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #3

Trailer: Play Pac 1973
Registry
Brake plate only?

On the Play Pac I just sold to Paul, I thought it had brakes when I bought it, but... It was supplied with the backing plate for the brakes and the wiring leads, but there had never been brakes mounted on it. So, it was brake ready. I suspect this was the standard on some models.

The trailer repair outfit told me the cost to add everything, I can't remember if it was $90 each or $90 total for both. Of course this doesn't count the controller in your tow vehicle.

Steve
Stephen T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #4

New York
Registry
Brakes

Hi know that mine came with brakes. I need them to be oPerational on the camper to pass inspection. I was just wondering if someone could give me a verbal ( written) description of how their Play PAC brakes were set up. I don't Plan to use them but wonder if I wanted to how would they be set up and I wonder what I need to pass inspection. I think just brakes in good condition.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen T. View Post
On the Play Pac I just sold to Paul, I thought it had brakes when I bought it, but... It was supplied with the backing plate for the brakes and the wiring leads, but there had never been brakes mounted on it. So, it was brake ready. I suspect this was the standard on some models.

The trailer repair outfit told me the cost to add everything, I can't remember if it was $90 each or $90 total for both. Of course this doesn't count the controller in your tow vehicle.

Steve
this is great to know Steve ... i guess in my excitement i forgot to ask you the thousandth question (but the first 999 were very useful for us! ). i may wish to get the brakes done one day just for insurance - certainly doesn't hurt and will likely save my truck brakes as well.

good luck Meghan - hoping someone will chime in!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #6

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Meghan

You won't regret having brakes on the trailer once you get through all this.
You can tell if the brakes function by putting power to them- simple enough, right?
But...
A bigger problem for you is that you have to show the inspector they're "operational" by demonstrating so during the inspection. I don't think running a couple of wires to them during the inspection will do the trick.
It's likely that in an inspection, operational means that they must work when you apply the brakes in your tow vehicle.
For that you need a brake controller installed in the tow vehicle.
. You can buy one for under $100.00 and have it installed for another $100.00 or so.
I recommend professional installation. Any RV place and many U-haul shops can do this job.
If I were you, I'd have a charging line for the trailer battery put in at the same time (extra cost, of course, but worth it.)
If you do that, make sure to ask for a battery isolator so that your trailer doesn't drain your tow vehicle battery dry while stopped.
You might find Jane's thread on the brake controller subject instructive.
It's athttp://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-45530.html

Hope this helps, and congrats on your success so far!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:13 AM   #7

New York
Registry
So I got it inspected without fixing the brakes...ooops did I forget to mention there were brakes, Mr Inspector????? My bad. I know I know I should have brakes! But I weigh only 1220 and my tow is rated for 3500. I think I need a break from putting money into her and get a chance to actually use her. I barely notice I am towing, so I think I will wait a bit before I sink hundreds into the brakes., We did find out that there is a wire broke...as in it came out of the brake itself ( this is as it was described to me) So I imagine that will cost a bunch. I will be following your advise, as soon as I have some extra cash to do so!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I understand the need to actually use your trailer, you've been through so much to get to this point.

But, DO plan on getting the brakes hooked up and working properly. It's a maintenance issue Meghan. You are going to find you'll go through brakes on your tug much, much faster without brakes on the trailer. And, those are expensive to replace. Remember, you are towing nearly a half-ton behind you and that the tug has to stop. I don't know of anyone that's ever regretted HAVING brakes.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:34 AM   #9

New York
Registry
Donna, I will!!! I have a very busy rest of the season, photographing weddings and having gallery shows etc, so I dont think I will be going very far with the Play Pac. The biggest trip will be (hopefully) to Niagara Falls to the Wine escape/fiberglass trailer meet. Other than that I imagine a few (no more than 3-4) trips less than 30 miles from my home. These trips will be mostly to troubleshoot and see what we need to do. I think I will be adding electric and brakes at the same time. Probably first thing next season! Right now I am going to concentrate on a few little things. Water, propane, I just heard about burping the fridge, so I want to try that. I also need to build/excavate a place of honor for the play pac next to the house. I need to dig out a level parking spot and get her off the lawn. I havent even been in her while she was level yet!!! So much to do!!! Hopefully we can get things done while still trying to get out in her and do some camping. And oh my!!! I still havent thought of a name for her!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I understand the need to actually use your trailer, you've been through so much to get to this point.

But, DO plan on getting the brakes hooked up and working properly. It's a maintenance issue Meghan. You are going to find you'll go through brakes on your tug much, much faster without brakes on the trailer. And, those are expensive to replace. Remember, you are towing nearly a half-ton behind you and that the tug has to stop. I don't know of anyone that's ever regretted HAVING brakes.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
After all you've been through?? How bout something like Duchess Marie of Venice!!!
Or better yet... Duchess Meghan Victorious...
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes