Please tell us your Motivation - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
Well, this won't be popular, but my sense is the true motivation is a combination of cheapness ("value minded" may be a more positive term) and overconfidence that "they know better" supported by a variety of rationalizations.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel V. View Post
I think the biggest motivation for towing beyond the ratings is to allow picking a vehicle that costs less and will be fuel-efficient for the remainder of the year, while it's not towing, i.e. the majority of the time. People would rather stretch the vehicle's ability during their few camping trips than stretch their budget for the entire year. And when money is involved, the theories on second-guessing the tow ratings, which are never explained to us and often don't seem to make much sense, become virtually endless. People can't afford to follow safety guidelines that feel "made up" and rarely seem to be enforced in any official way anyway.

However - I've been in both camps, and my own motivation for NOT towing with an underpowered vehicle is that fuel economy was NOT better while towing, due to the smaller engine working much harder, plus the driving experience was much less of a vacation. An adequate tow vehicle is definitely much better, but this makes sense in the "fuel economy" context only if you own two vehicles.

My biggest concerns in that matter have always been with newbies motivating their decisions based on 1) hearsay or other people's recommendations as opposed to their own experience and 2) widespread misinformation and/or wishful thinking about the real weight of what they are pulling.
A very thoughtful post. The only thing I would add is in ignoring the limits there is a chance I could ruin someone else's life.

Ed, I think Norm answered your question very well, " I had no desire to spend $20-30,000 on a new tow vehicle ". As Bill Clinton said " it's the economy, stupid!". Raz

Old 04-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Scion Towing

Heather,

I know very little about Scions however there is one site member that has towed with one. See the following Link. Go to post # 37 in this thread.

Wanna tow Scamp 16' with Subaru Forester

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Under Powered

In the spirit of motivation....

I did not mention it but I do not consider the Honda CRV underpowered to tow our Scamp 16.

It can easily exceed the speed limit of my tires, 65 mph, though I never intentionally drive over 60 mph. We rarely drive Interstates except in the congested Northeast where there typically isn't much choice.

On today's drive to the coast of Oregon, I pulled over twice to let people pass who wanted to exceed the 55 mph speed limit.

As to the economics, the Honda is 8 years old, has 170,000 miles and has yet to have a repair other than pads, oil and plugs. It gets 22-23 mpg towing and 28-30 mpg on the highway not towing. It is comfortable and has a lot of storage space.

It was a seriously good investment as a vehicle and has been more than adequate to tow our Scamp 16.

I know that there are people who tow faster than me. In our 11 years of RVing, I've been passed by many towing at 70 mph and even faster. Speed is not my goal.

From a physics perspective,

it's interesting to compare the weight of a tow vehicle to the maximum trailer weights permitted...

or to compare a tow vehicle's brake area to maximum trailer weight permitted....

or to compare the horsepower/torque of the tow vehicle to the maximum trailer weight permitted.

I like this thread. It is important to look at underlying reasons and also to get down to the numbers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2008 Casita Spirit DLX 17
Wisconsin
In the event of an accident, is going over the ratings going to open you up to the liability
Old 04-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #20

Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Registry
i think car shape also has something to do with it. My Honda element has a 1500 towing capacity and towing my 1979 13' boler that weighs 1110lbs dry weight did not change the fuel consumption ONE BIT! I know because on the way to pick it up i used the exact same amount of gas as I did on the way home and I even took a bit of a longer way home! I never even felt the camper sway even a little and I think it's because of the fact that my element is the same HEIGHT as my camper and there was NO drag on it at all! i've been in a sedan with the boler behind it and can FEEL the camper drag a bit. funny how it works. I think i'm gonna get a transmission cooler as I heard that was supposedto help increase the towing capacity. do people agree?
Old 04-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #21

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Just another comment on mfr's ratings. My RAV4 owners manual explictly states not to exceed 45 mph when towing. Who would think it imprudent to exceed that?
Old 04-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #22

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfn View Post
I think i'm gonna get a transmission cooler as I heard that was supposedto help increase the towing capacity. do people agree?
It wouldn't change the capacity, but it would help your transmission last longer.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #23

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wiresdave View Post
In the event of an accident, is going over the ratings going to open you up to the liability

You bet.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #24

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Seriously? Is that a misprint? I'd call Toyota and ask them about it just to see what they say. That's crazy, lol! My Toyota Sienna's manual doesnt list a speed restriction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
Just another comment on mfr's ratings. My RAV4 owners manual explictly states not to exceed 45 mph when towing. Who would think it imprudent to exceed that?
Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #25

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
That is... well.. strange.
Perhaps you should talk to your dealer.

I know my limit is 74mph- when the engine hits the governor.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #26

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...My motivation for towing over the limit was MONEY!!! When we bought our Boler in '06 we owned the Ford Taurus Wagon w/ V6 Auto. Tow cap. listed 1250 lbs. Trailer axle rated at 1650 lbs. The wagon was also rated to carry 2000 lbs. of cargo so I subtracted the excess trailer weight from that as it only carried the two of us when towing. Still have that wagon but sold the Boler when we got our Escape 5.0.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #27
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 841K9 View Post

I know my limit is 74mph- when the engine hits the governor.
Our TV has a speed limiter which is factory set at 151MPH but we try to keep our towing speed at around 40% of that...... to save fuel!
Old 04-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #28

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hopefully they will standardize car tow ratings just like they did with trucks as discussed here:
J2807 | Woodall's Campgrounds, RV Blog and Family Camping Blog
this should save a lot of wasted server space holding these discussions.