Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #71

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Agree Norm but the word that comes to my mind is offensive. The auto makers play with the numbers. There's huge profits in those big, heavy pickups and SUV's with the big tow ratings.[/COLOR]
Got to love the ever popular conspiracy theory If this theory is to be taken seriously how does one explain away the simple fact that there are vehicles that a lot of folks on this list like to tow fiberglass trailers with that the manufacture does not make a bigger heavy pick up or SUV to sell us instead - even though some of us wish they did. Yet the vehicles they do sell here in NA do in fact have lower tow ratings than those they sell in other countries. Does it not make more sense that the reason for the different tow ratings is as given by the manufacture themselves in at least one case that the components in the car sold in NA are not the same as what is in the one sold in another country?

Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #72

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
This month I saw a Scamp 13 being towed by a 6 cylinder Toyota 4Runner. The relative newbie had been told that a 4Runner is adequate to tow his Scamp 13.

He asked me if my anti-sway bar helped prevent sway. I told him probably but my trailer had never swayed, nor had I ever had a fiberglass trailer sway.

He said his Scamp 13 did so I reveiwed his set up.

Both vehicle and trailer tire pressures were too low. Two heavy steel bikes hanging off the rear of the trailer on a 3 or 4 footlong steel bike rack. The front of his tow vehicle pointed to the heavens, partially due to two batteries and two propane tanks, I did not check the internal loading of the trailer.

Simply buying a tow vehicle designed to tow a certain load is no guarantee.

It seems to me that the discussion is always over some 'marketing' number' rather than the importance of tires, trailer loading, and tow vehicle loading.

What I like about Can AM RV is they set up the vehicle to tow the load and test their setups. They are clearly professionals.

Lastly any one can be sued no matter what they are driving or how careful they are. Afterall, MacDonalds has been sued because it's coffee was hot.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #73

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
quote: I think maybe we're mixing apples and oranges. There's 'breaking the law' or doing things specifically prohibited, things for which specific penalties are codified. Then there's doing things that violate no written law but might incur liability if an incident occurs in which injuries or damages result.
===============

Probably a more relevant concern would be how will your insurance company look at the whole issue ??
Old 05-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #74

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Lastly any one can be sued no matter what they are driving or how careful they are. Afterall, MacDonalds has been sued because it's coffee was hot.....
I was just thinking about the woman who sued Ford.
Her car caught fire after a wreck and she chose to stay in the driver's seat. Obviously, she was burned. Her lawyer argued that the "firewall" didn't protect her from the fire. Now, we're forced to call it the bulkhead.

Sadly, our courts often side with the stupid.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #75
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
This month I saw a Scamp 13 being towed by a 6 cylinder Toyota 4Runner. The relative newbie had been told that a 4Runner is adequate to tow his Scamp 13.

What I like about Can AM RV is they set up the vehicle to tow the load and test their setups. They are clearly professionals.
Speaking of Can AM....... it is ironic.

A few years ago at the Hamilton RV show I attended a towing seminar that was hosted by Andy Thomson from Can Am. He used the Toyota 4 Runner as an example of "How not to design and build at TV". He explained that it was reliable and was a great off road vehicle but when used as a TV every aspect of the design was wrong.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #76

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Then you must not have inferred that I implied any personal offense! [I didn't]

My son and I have often discussed philosophically ... whether "Words have meaning", or "Meaning has words"! A fine point which becomes magnified with written language.
Where punctuation must take the place of facial expression, body language and inflection, communication can be frustrated, often even exacerbated.

You mean like this
Old 05-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #77

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Question: has anybody here actually towed both in europe and in north america? Wondering whether there are any hands-on impressions of tow vehicle differences. (I've hauled horses in both places but not FGRVs)

And a vague thought: if an accident is so catastrophic that the other person's insurance company is digging into your car/truck manufacturer's tow rating, your problems are profound enough that the two rating question is the least of your worries.

But, I have no dog in the fight really.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #78

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Honest Question from a towing Greenhorn. This is something I have always wondered, how come pickup trucks can tow trailers twice their weight (or more) when properly set up with brakes, sway control etc yet SUVs, minivan and cars can not tow anywhere near their equal weight much less more than their weight when properly equipped also with brakes, sway control etc? My folks have a 40 ft 5th wheel with 3 slideouts, a fireplace, 3 A/Cs basement storage, cherry cabinets, kitchen island, full size fridge, stove etc etc. They live in this full time so it doesnt move much but when it does need to go in for service/repair or when they took delivery of it they used their F350 to tow it. That monster probably weighs 3 times what the truck weighs. So are the lower tow standards due to components such as tranny, rearend etc are not up for the job more than the overall weight of the vehicle? I understand the unibody issues so lets use a non unibody example like the Ford Explorer (previous generation as now they are unibody) or any other vehicle which is rear wheel drive and has a frame excluding pickups. So if we put heavy duty truck components in full framed vehicles could they then to tow more than their own curb weight like the trucks do? I'm just trying to figure out the physics difference between trucks towing massive enormous trailers that outweigh them by a landslide and other vehicles being limited to roughly half to 2/3 their overall weight generally. Hope I asked this right, lol.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #79

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Melissa, great topic for a new thread.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Old 05-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #80

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
quote: Honest Question from a towing Greenhorn. This is something I have always wondered, how come pickup trucks can tow trailers twice their weight (or more).....
================

Melissa, look under your car. Pay attention to springs, and steering parts, the size of the transmission housing, etc.
Next time you see your dad's F350, lay down under it and look at the "pieces and parts". Then, next time you see an 18 wheeler tractor in a parking lot, do the same.....look under it. Figure a typical class eight truck ( like an 18 wheeler tractor ) weighs about 18,000 pounds by itself. Most states have a maximum load of 80,000 pounds, so you can see that the Kenworth can easily pull over 60,000 pounds.

Books could be ( and have been ) written to answer your question in depth, but just looking at the size/strength of the parts will tell you a lot.

Wanna zoom around the sports car course ? Buy a sporty car.

Need to haul a few people around in comfort in an affordable vehicle ( or if you're just pulling a little trailer ) ? Buy a car or small van.

But if you need to haul a big load, reliably and safely....buy a truck of the appropriate rating.

EDIT: something else to consider also is that a truck like a Kenworth is designed to have a useful life of at least a million miles. All of it "towing".
Old 05-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #81

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
So it's not how heavy the tow vehicle itself is but how strong the components are? If theoretically you could put those same heavy duty components in a smaller SUV etc (non unibody) they too could tow more than their curb weight? I guess that would be true given your example of an 18 wheeler only weighing 18,000lbs yet capable of towing and more importantly controlling 60,000lbs. I always thought it was the weight of the tow vehicle that was the biggest factor but thinking about semis that would not be the case.

Thanks for taking the time to explain in simple terms using the semi example.

Melissa
Old 05-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #82

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
Old 05-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #83

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Cam, my eyes are leaking. How about them Mets?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #84

Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Question: has anybody here actually towed both in europe and in north america? Wondering whether there are any hands-on impressions of tow vehicle differences. (I've hauled horses in both places but not FGRVs)
I have never driven there, but read a lot of similar threads on other forums. If you look carefully at pictures of European trailers, you'll notice that most of them have their axles in the middle of the trailer and we have them closer to the rear. Their trailers are balanced differently and apply less hitch weight to the TV. Their hitch models are also different, and rely more on anti-sway systems than we do here. The entire towing philosophy and attitude is different (and yes, possibly smarter?).

Yes the laws of physics are the same, but you can't just blindly transpose what they have there over here without factoring-in everything. Otherwise, we should be allowed to drive with no speed limit here because they can on a German autobahn.

As others have pointed out, towing isn't just about vehicle tow ratings. In Europe there are cultural differences, different trailers, landscapes, different laws and lawyers, different standards, statistics, insurance policies, etc.