Possible bent Axle on 2014 Scamp 16 ft - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #1
Member
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Manitoba
Posts: 48
Possible bent Axle on 2014 Scamp 16 ft

Last fall I first noticed excessive tire wear on the outside tread of the Right (curb) tire. My suspicion is a bent axle.
I think it may have been an incident last Spring. I frequently had to slow down to dodge patches of missing asphalt on a road crossing the Appellations near Plaster Rock New Brunswick. On one occasion I was caught by surprise and went through a dip that saw my trailer leave the ground. We stopped to check things out. Everything appeared to be okay at the time.
When I noticed the tire wear I measured the Toe in. At this moment I can't recall exactly what that number was, but I do have reason for concern. Is there a fix for that, or do I have to get a new axle.
Or... is there another cause for tire wear. My Scamp 16 with side dinette and shower large fridge etc. tends to ride lower on the curb side I'm supposing because most of the weight tends to be on that side of the trailer.
What are your thoughts?
Jim. R.
__________________

__________________
Manitoba Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
It's possible its nothing more than a faulty tire or insufficiently inflated tire or an unevenly loaded trailer or some might even suggest possible due to a loose bearing nut..... I think most of us have done the going to fast over a dump or hole and had the trailer take flight without any damage.

If you can take it to a shop that does tires or axles that can take a look at it.
__________________

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Posts: 934
Registry
I had the same problem with the curb side tire when I owned my Scamp 19. Outer portion of tread was nearly bald 3,000 miles after taking delivery in Backus. Second tire did the same. No one in the tire/alignment business was able to tell me why.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________
CPW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:15 PM   #4
Member
 
Name: Danny
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Posts: 43
Maybe someone jacked it up by the Axle and Bent it!
__________________
Laughingindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:37 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 1,722
Registry
I agree you should check all that Carol suggested and if nothing can be found wrong, take it to a trailer alignment shop. We had problems with tire wear on the outside tread on drivers side and inside wear on the curb side. We replaced the "C range" tires with "D Range" and have the axle aligned. Time/miles with tell if it cured the problems.
Dave & Paula
__________________
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:04 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Rick Mooyman's Avatar
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Posts: 962
Registry
Just sent you a private message to take it to Metro Trailers on Nairn Ave here in Winnipeg they are the specialists I send everyone to them for repairs to frames and axles on our little trailers. John the tech there even owns a Boler.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba Jim View Post
Last fall I first noticed excessive tire wear on the outside tread of the Right (curb) tire. My suspicion is a bent axle.
I think it may have been an incident last Spring. I frequently had to slow down to dodge patches of missing asphalt on a road crossing the Appellations near Plaster Rock New Brunswick. On one occasion I was caught by surprise and went through a dip that saw my trailer leave the ground. We stopped to check things out. Everything appeared to be okay at the time.
When I noticed the tire wear I measured the Toe in. At this moment I can't recall exactly what that number was, but I do have reason for concern. Is there a fix for that, or do I have to get a new axle.
Or... is there another cause for tire wear. My Scamp 16 with side dinette and shower large fridge etc. tends to ride lower on the curb side I'm supposing because most of the weight tends to be on that side of the trailer.
What are your thoughts?
Jim. R.
__________________
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #7
Member
 
Name: Bruce
Trailer: Still Looking
Alabama
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingindian View Post
Maybe someone jacked it up by the Axle and Bent it!
Bahaha.....yeah let's get that one stirred up again !!
__________________
Bullington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:28 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Name: Dano
Trailer: Winnebago
Florida
Posts: 11
alignment

I would certainly suspect something is bent.

I would:
1) use a steel tape measure and carefully measure the distance wheel to wheel, using the highest point on the tires where the tape measure will clear the frame and other obstructions -- do the measurements front and rear - they should be the same.

2) I would look at Trailer Axle Alignment and Tire Wear Problems
and consider the techniques it offers. Remember the first step is measurement.

3) At some point, jack up the trailer and check the wheels, springs, etc to see if anything is loose.


I suspect you have an alignment issue (as you do). The question is what changed.

I would contact the camper mfg and ask for their guidance. I am sure that you are not the first person with this issue.
__________________
DanoFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:41 AM   #9
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Posts: 934
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoFL View Post
I would certainly suspect something is bent.



I would:

1) use a steel tape measure and carefully measure the distance wheel to wheel, using the highest point on the tires where the tape measure will clear the frame and other obstructions -- do the measurements front and rear - they should be the same.



2) I would look at Trailer Axle Alignment and Tire Wear Problems

and consider the techniques it offers. Remember the first step is measurement.



3) At some point, jack up the trailer and check the wheels, springs, etc to see if anything is loose.



I suspect you have an alignment issue (as you do). The question is what changed.



I would contact the camper mfg and ask for their guidance. I am sure that you are not the first person with this issue.

There are no springs in the suspension of a Scamp, which uses a torsion axle. If something is bent, it is most likely the spindle.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________
CPW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Name: Dano
Trailer: Winnebago
Florida
Posts: 11
are there any provisions to adjust the spindle?
__________________
DanoFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #11
Member
 
Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
Posts: 58
Are you inflating your tires at the upper limit? Last year we did a cross country tour of national parks. We left Michigan with new tires. They were C load ratings at 1360 lbs. I weighed the trailer and had 2050 lbs on the wheels. The maximum tire pressure was 50 lbs and I set them at 40lbs. I checked them a couple times and the pressure held. When I got to california and 7,000 "car" miles later, I found the tires were wore out showing just a bit of tread on the outside. All I could find at the time was "C" rated tires as I would have liked "D"s. I have run the new tires about 5,000 miles at 50 lbs and they seem to be doing fine with slow and even tread wear. I'm a believer that higher pressure is better.
__________________
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Name: Dano
Trailer: Winnebago
Florida
Posts: 11
The higher inflation allows for more weight capacity. If inflation is too high for the load only the center of the tire would wear. underinflated tireswear on the edges.

A whell out of alignment will wear on one side.

What you describe sounds like a wheel out of alignment to me.
__________________
DanoFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:48 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoFL View Post
are there any provisions to adjust the spindle?
Not that I'm aware of.
__________________
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #14
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Posts: 934
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoFL View Post
are there any provisions to adjust the spindle?

Not that I know of!


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________

__________________
CPW is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axle, scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axle bent? greenghost45 Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 9 05-25-2015 06:46 PM
Bent axle? Arno Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 15 04-15-2011 08:02 AM
17Ft Bigfoot Axle - bent? Dave_L Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 10 09-14-2009 01:04 AM
Bent Axle? Legacy Posts Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 3 08-04-2003 01:26 PM
bent axle? Legacy Posts Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 7 07-22-2003 12:18 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.