Power draw from tv battery when turned off - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think that's a valid point, but I think I'm less reliable than a simple relay, so personally I would rather run the small risk of the relay failing (which I can bypass on the roadside with a pair of pliers) than the large risk that I park the rig for something like a meal stop with the refrigerator on and forget to unplug... or worse, unplug and forget to plug back in when I pull away.

I understand your point.
However, some of us never use the fridge on 12V, therefore unplugging when stopping for 30 minutes to a couple hours won't matter. Even using the fridge on 12 V it would take 4+ hours to run down the batteries.
So it still seems like a non issue.

If, however, you're still concerned then the relay or solenoid is the way to go.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
Some take the hypothetical situations a little too seriously me thinks.

Seriously though, a swift yank on the brake away switch cable is all it takes.

Derek
The kids are all on wireless. They don't have a clue.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #23

Registry
Quote:
Some take the hypothetical situations a little too seriously me thinks.

Seriously though, a swift yank on the brake away switch cable is all it takes.

Derek

Brake currents
Brake Size Amps/Magnet
7 x 1-1/4 inches 2.5
10 x 1-1/2 inches 2.5
10 x 2-1/4 inches 3.0
12 x 2 inches 3.0

At 2.5 amps for wheel (magnet) that only 5 amps on my trailer.

One should always do a walk around after leaving the trailer for even 15 minutes. Look at the cables, safety chains, the break away switch, etc. It only takes a couple seconds and can save you lots of headaches.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
One should always do a walk around after leaving the trailer for even 15 minutes. Look at the cables, safety chains, the break away switch, etc. It only takes a couple seconds and can save you lots of headaches.[/QUOTE]

Two thumbs up, and more, if I had more thumbs. I do the walk around every time I stop and before I go.
Makes a lot more sense than blaming somebody else. I'm trying to imagine roving bands of teens that know what a break-away switch is, and then making the effort to disconnect it. Half the people on this site either don't have brakes or don't know what a break-away switch is, what it looks like or where it is.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
I have been told that Dodge and GM are the only two that leave that wire hot all the time, but I'm not certain on that.
My 2005 Ram 1500 with a factory tow package does not provide power with the key off. They may have changed at some point, Chrysler engineers live by the motto "If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!". Maybe someday they'll redesign the fenders to stop the "Dodge Rot", likely they'll just sell them pre-rusted like the Volare and Aspen.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #26

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
One should always do a walk around after leaving the trailer for even 15 minutes. Look at the cables, safety chains, the break away switch, etc. It only takes a couple seconds and can save you lots of headaches.

Two thumbs up, and more, if I had more thumbs. I do the walk around every time I stop and before I go.
Makes a lot more sense than blaming somebody else. I'm trying to imagine roving bands of teens that know what a break-away switch is, and then making the effort to disconnect it. Half the people on this site either don'
I took a truck driving course years ago. The instructor warned me to always lock your 5th wheel otherwise kids will pull the pin when you stop at a red light. When the light goes green, you will drive away but your cargo will remain behind. Apparently this is an issue in high crime neighborhoods. Commercial trucking has real problems with cargo theft, and this is an easy way to take over a truck and cargo.

Are people likely to do evil to our trailers and tow vehicles? Likely not, but thinking ahead is a good plan. Its pretty easy for an evil doer to disconnect stuff, even if they really don't know what its for.

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:03 AM   #27

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post

Who knew? There seem to be a number of these sold.

Amazon.com: voltage sensitive relay
Yeah, I tried google search and Amazon. I couldn't find anything that was made for what I wanted to do, nor anything reasonable in price. The harness they sell, in UK for cars, is $30-40 I believe.

Believe me, had I found a simple relay, locally (no need for customs) for the cause I would have jumped all over. I still want that harness but "momma" has the purse string for my crazy projects.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #28

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
'05 Yote with factory tow package, 4 pin is hot only with ignition on.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #29

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Not to put too fine a point on it, has anyone run into a source for a replacment breakaway pin in case it "disappears" at a rest stop?

I'm strangely reluctant to pull the pin that came with the Casita, even when at home, to fabricate an emergency spare. I guess I'm thinking that I might have trouble reinserting it although I know I could just disconnect the wiring if I did have trouble.

I expect a wooden dowel of the appropriate diameter (slightly pointed) would do the trick temporarily but eventually I'd want to go back to the proper pin. Without buying a whole new switch. Of course a replacement part might cost as much as a new switch anyhow.

I may just have to put on my "big boy" pants and just yank the durn thing out and see what's what.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Who knew? There seem to be a number of these sold.

Amazon.com: voltage sensitive relay
Not exactly pocket change but doable.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #31
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
Not to put too fine a point on it, has anyone run into a source for a replacment breakaway pin in case it "disappears" at a rest stop?

I'm strangely reluctant to pull the pin that came with the Casita, even when at home, to fabricate an emergency spare. I guess I'm thinking that I might have trouble reinserting it although I know I could just disconnect the wiring if I did have trouble.

I expect a wooden dowel of the appropriate diameter (slightly pointed) would do the trick temporarily but eventually I'd want to go back to the proper pin. Without buying a whole new switch. Of course a replacement part might cost as much as a new switch anyhow..
I've pulled mine. It's easier than you think. Also, a pencil might work in an emergency.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #32

Registry
Quote:

I expect a wooden dowel of the appropriate diameter (slightly pointed) would do the trick temporarily but eventually I'd want to go back to the proper pin. Without buying a whole new switch. Of course a replacement part might cost as much as a new switch anyhow.

I may just have to put on my "big boy" pants and just yank the durn thing out and see what's what.

I've yanked mine a few times. I installed it with one wire going directly to the battery. If I needed to I could remove the wire from the battery. Another emergency option is a pair of wire cutters, cut one wire coming out of the switch. It can be spliced back together later.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #33

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
For a reasonable low voltage battery cut off, good old Princess Auto:
12V Battery Isolator | Princess Auto
$20 when it goes on sale.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #34

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Searched on different keywords and found:
Amazon.com: Bragman 48-Inch Replacement Cable/Pin Assembly for Breakaway Switch: Sports & Outdoors

But, then, I spelled it correctly the first time.
You say Bragman, I say Bargman, lets call the whole thing off....

Maybe if I'm buying something else as well I'll add it. Otherwise the shipping would be more than the part.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #35

Ontario
Registry
Quote:

Its probably smart to pull the thing out to make sure its working properly. If you are unhitching and your trailer tries to roll away on you, its a quick and easy way to bring it to a stop. If you are smart, this won't happen. This is a good trick just in case.

"Coast" is a distributor for many of the smaller RV dealerships. They list a replacement key for the Hoppy/Husky switch in their catalog, but its out of stock.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #36

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
For a reasonable low voltage battery cut off, good old Princess Auto:
12V Battery Isolator | Princess Auto
$20 when it goes on sale.
Now that is not too bad of a price. I might just keep an eye on it to go on sale. Thanks David!

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #37

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
Now that is not too bad of a price. I might just keep an eye on it to go on sale. Thanks David!

Jason
If I remember correctly, these came up on sale a couple months ago so you may have to wait a little bit.

Derek
Old 06-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #38

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
If I remember correctly, these came up on sale a couple months ago so you may have to wait a little bit.

Derek
That is when I bought mine.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #39

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
... eventually I'd want to go back to the proper pin. Without buying a whole new switch. Of course a replacement part might cost as much as a new switch anyhow.
Quote:
To temporarily disconnect, I just need to take a ring terminal off a stud in an external junction box - no cutting wires. That was my idea, not Boler's.
If I needed a replacement and couldn't wait for the pin, I would just buy the whole switch, use the new pin, and keep the switch as a spare... if a compatible switch were available locally. They're not very expensive.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #40

Trailer: 87 Scamp 13 ft
I mounted a simple toggle switch on the battery box to break the charge wire before the battery.
JOE DRISSEL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery