Power Steering CoolerI - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Power Steering CoolerI

I understand the reason for an automatic transmission cooler because the transmission is under additional load towing.

I don't understand why some people add a power steering cooler.

Will some one explain the addition of a power steering cooler?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Honda is concerned about the possibility of changing steering directions rapidly while you back a trailer into a campsite. Cranking the steering wheel to the left as far as it will go followed immediately by cranking the steering wheel to the right as far as it will go and then repeating this several times in a short period of time. This extreme maneuvering tends to stress the pump and heat the fluid.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #3

Florida
Thank you Frederick,

It wasn't a problem on the CRV with at least 2000 backing in maneuvers. Though after the first couple of months there was little back and forth when backing in. Eventually we have figured out to back in without lock to lock steering maneuvers.

I'll keep my eye on the fluid to see if there's any color change indicating over heating.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #4

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Yes,Norm, but you had all that practice.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:35 AM   #5

Florida
CLif, We've had a lot of practice and sometimes it's really smooth though there are the occasional times when you wish someone was taking a video so you could see how we went astray. I can remember a few times where entire campgrounds turned out to watch the show of us backing in. Fortunately age has brought patience.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #6

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Yes, and while I'm behind you a few of years, my ability to laugh at myself has improved over time. A skill everyone should foster.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:04 AM   #7

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I would be amazed if you needed one. Especially camper parking. You're (usually) only backing and maneuvering the length if your vehicle and trailer. Like you said, lock to lock should be pretty rare, especially with our size rigs, unless it's a very tight spot. I always cringe when I see people doing that rather than just admitting defeat and pulling forward 5' to straighten out. It never ends well.

For those that don't know, don't hold a vehicle at full lock the entire time. It will create heat. Just ease off a tiny bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:24 AM   #8
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I understand the reason for an automatic transmission cooler because the transmission is under additional load towing.

I don't understand why some people add a power steering cooler.

Will some one explain the addition of a power steering cooler?
I don't get it either Norm. Most folks towing an egg are just on the ball. There is no additional weight on the front tires to increase tire scrub resistance. Most are backing up on low resistance grass or dirt.

Even with our car which has sticky, wide, tires and where we have added 200lbs to the front end of the car by using a WDH there has been no PS issues. Our car has no tow pkg.

Note, now you have me thinking. Wondering if our G35 has a stock, factory PS cooler. I will check and update.

UPDATE: A quick G35 Infiniti Forum search revealed some interesting info. The G35's with all wheel drive, sport pkg's, and/or 18" wheels got the PS cooler. Our car does not have one.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:49 AM   #9

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Many vehicles come with a factory PS cooler, All my GM minivans had one, and so does my Envoy
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:30 AM   #10

Florida
I've been reading the Odyssey manual, about 500 pages and have not found any mention of the need for a Power Steering cooler for towing. I intend to speak with the garage when I bring it in for it's free initial service. On the Odyssey forum it seems to be a common addition.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #11

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Honda Power Steering Cooler.

When I used my 2004 Honda Odyssey to pull my Bigfoot 17, I had been advised that, since my engine RPMs would be running much higher than normal for long periods, the power steering system would run hot! They assumed that you would not be towing in Overdrive, which is partly true.
I DID install a cooler for that system also and never did have any problems.
That being said, I don't know if it is 'really' needed.
However, when I first picked up my Oddy, the power steering failed on the 1st day, requiring pump replacement (took 2 weeks), so I do believe this is a weak
part of their vehicle. At least in 2004 it was!
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #12
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Michael.... How does the Sienna tow compared to the older Oddy?
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #13

Florida
Pushing the Envelope

When we tow we are typically not pushing the tow vehicle's operating envelope. It's probably part of the reason our Honda CRV was so reliable, just less overall stress. We tend to drive to minimize the load on all vehicle components ( as well as the driver).

We leave early in the morning driving during the cooler part of the day, finishing by noon because we rarely drive more than 150 miles. Our tires run cooler and all engine fluids run cooler because the radiators are able to dissipate heat faster in cooler air.

We typically do not travel during the hot period of the year or in hot regions of the country during the summer.

We don't drive too fast, low 60's on Interstates and generally avoid the Interstates particularly in the east whenever we can. Generally we are not driving faster than 60 on non-Interstates.

Formerly from Pasadena....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
MC1
No significant difference.
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote