Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #15
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer schindler View Post
Can i tow a 13 foot boler with a 2.4 l pt cruiser....
Rainer, this Boler has a Cruiser at the Helm. Ideally it would nice to talk with the owner to get more details on how it tows. One thing is for sure. You will never know how a particular vehicle will feel towing a trailer by reading a manual.
Attached Thumbnails
pt and boler.jpg  

Old 07-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Rainer, this Boler has a Cruiser at the Helm. Ideally it would nice to talk with the owner to get more details on how it tows. One thing is for sure. You will never know how a particular vehicle will feel towing a trailer by reading a manual.

What the manual will tell you is what the manufacturer considers the maximum towing capacity. It been advised many times here that it's not a good idea to exceed that limit. People do it, and many get away with it, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails
hqdefault.jpg  

Old 07-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #17
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
What the manual will tell you is what the manufacturer considers the maximum towing capacity. It been advised many times here that it's not a good idea to exceed that limit. People do it, and many get away with it, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.
OMG Byron........ that image must be photoshop. No way you can tow a trailer with a bicycle!!!
Old 07-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #18

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
In fact, there is a video of it:
Airstream Towed By Bike - Can-Am RV - YouTube
Old 07-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #19

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Exclamation Tow capacity

This topic pops up regularly. It is not a question of if A CAN tow B, but whether it can LEGALLY do so. The ruling document would be the owner's manual. This website is linked other places:

Proper Tow Vehicles A Must!

The point is, if someone is injured or killed due to an accident involving you and you are towing over capacity or some other thing, think what a lawyer could do to you in court.
Don't risk it.

The ASME is starting to take trailers more seriously in their standards, but for all time the organization was derelict in setting and enforcing standards that actually mean something.

Some people have been attempting to remedy this like here:

Dangerous Trailers.org

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #20

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Not sure about the info, but that web site's design is a crime against humanity.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I agree Glenn, the Dangerous Trailers web site is poorly done.

We often write about the legality of towing beyond ratings. It has nothing to do with the law. There is no law, that I know of in the USA that says what a vehicle can safely tow. There is no standard for tow vehicles. My hope is that if their is a practical standard, that all vehicles are tested to the standard rather than just selected vehicles that they want to sell as tow vehicles.

I would hope that all vehicles have a tow rating set by performance and capability.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
While there may not be a specific "Law" about what a vehicle can safely tow, there are tens of thousands of court cases where consumers were found liable for using everything from electric knifes to motor vehicles in a manner "Beyond the manufacturers intended use".

Ignoring existing manufacturers published towing specification may well be unsafe and can leave an owner open to liability lawsuits for doing so.

Lets not encourage others, especially those new to RV'ing, to do something that can lead to an accident resulting in a lawsuit, much less leading to an injury or possible death. Doing so is tantamount to aiding and abetting these possibilities.

When it comes to safety on the highway, thinking outside the box is not an option.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:08 AM   #23

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Towing capacity is a subject that many people have strong opinions on (as you may have noticed) What you have to bear in mind is that the further you push the limits the more responsibility you take on for doing so safely.

Many on this forum have 10's of thousands of miles of empirical evidence from their own travels that manufacturer limits can be safely exceeded given how they tow and how they configure the towing set up.

I watched some of the Winter Olympics, just because that person given a snow board, a steep hill and a bunch of pipes and chutes could do the run safely won't keep me from going splat shortly after I start down the hill.

There is another equally valid point of view with empirical evidence and sound arguments as to why one should not push things past the manufacturer guidelines. Things and systems tend to break or fail more often and easily when one pushes them close to or beyond limits.

Captain Kirk and Scotty never seemed to be all that happy or to be having a good time when they had their "I'm giving you all she's got" and "The engines won't take much more of this" dialogs. And as many times as they had those situations if it had been real life instead of TV one might expect one of those times to result in a huge anti-matter explosion with Enterprise destroyed.

If you are new to towing, and lack the experience and knowledge to make a sound decision then you are probably better off using sound judgment to avoid increasing your chance of having a bad experience.

One also has to consider pushing the towing vehicle to it's limits one incurs a price for increased repairs and poor performance as the trade off. Going over limit increases the potential cost of those trade offs and increases possibility that you will end up paying them. Power train, suspension, brakes and even frame take on extra work to tow.

It comes down to individual situations and using sound judgment when assessing your knowledge, skills and ability to implement a workable solution to the given situation that will determine if something will work well or be a disaster. You also have to accept responsibility for your decision and its consequences.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:23 AM   #24
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

I would hope that all vehicles have a tow rating set by performance and capability.
Don't we wish that was true Norm.

A quick google search can give examples of vehicles with very high tow ratings that have poor performance towing trailers at 1/2 their tow rating.

On the other side of the coin you can review vehicles towing 5 or 6 times their tow rating resulting in premium overall performance and long term reliability.

So much depends on many contributing factors, best left to the pro's.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:27 AM   #25
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

I watched some of the Winter Olympics, just because that person given a snow board, a steep hill and a bunch of pipes and chutes could do the run safely won't keep me from going splat shortly after I start down the hill.
Well put RD.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #26

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Towing capacity is a subject that many people have strong opinions on (as you may have noticed) What you have to bear in mind is that the further you push the limits the more responsibility you take on for doing so safely.

Many on this forum have 10's of thousands of miles of empirical evidence from their own travels that manufacturer limits can be safely exceeded given how they tow and how they configure the towing set up.

There is another equally valid point of view with empirical evidence and sound arguments as to why one should not push things past the manufacturer guidelines. Things and systems tend to break or fail more often and easily when one pushes them close to or beyond limits.

Captain Kirk and Scotty never seemed to be all that happy or to be having a good time when they had their "I'm giving you all she's got" and "The engines won't take much more of this" dialogs. And as many times as they had those situations if it had been real life instead of TV one might expect one of those times to result in a huge anti-matter explosion with Enterprise destroyed.

If you are new to towing, and lack the experience and knowledge to make a sound decision then you are probably better off using sound judgment to avoid increasing your chance of having a bad experience.

One also has to consider pushing the towing vehicle to it's limits one incurs a price for increased repairs and poor performance as the trade off. Going over limit increases the potential cost of those trade offs and increases possibility that you will end up paying them. Power train, suspension, brakes and even frame take on extra work to tow.

It comes down to individual situations and using sound judgment when assessing your knowledge, skills and ability to implement a workable solution to the given situation that will determine if something will work well or be a disaster. You also have to accept responsibility for your decision and its consequences.

Personally, I'm not about to give anyone else permission to use their unknown "sound judgment" skills and potentially place me and my family in danger.

Expanding the example given, when even Expert Olympic Snowboarders can and will crash, why take a chance and let the amateurs place your life at risk?

Fortunately the dogma of "Overweight towing is OK" is held by only a very small number of those on the board.

As oft stated, ten peeps doing the wrong thing, and getting away with it, doesn't make it any closer to being right.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #27

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
As far as I can tell, the PT only was rated for 1000 lb towing. I have read some claim (once upon a time) that some particular year model of PT Cruiser had a higher rating, but have not been able to confirm that fact (if anyone knows differently, please post a link to the info).

As mentioned previously, a 13' Boler will most likely be in excess of 1300 lb. as ready for camping.

If the limiting factor is the hitch attachment, the potential exists for a trailer to rip the hitch off at some point (with potentially disastrous consequences). If the limiter is the engine cooling, the main risk is not to safety but to the integrity of the drive train when it gets overheated. If it's the small brakes on the PT, one could get around that by having trailer brakes... but I'm not sure that most 13' Bolers have brakes. Nearly all of these factors could be compensated for (use trailer brakes, add more cooling, have a custom hitch receiver built) and the PT could be made into a safe, dependable tow vehicle; but it could get costly to add the needed mods, and the 'liability' naysayers would still advise against it.

When I was young, I towed a 13' egg 2000 miles with a '84 Omni 2.2L. Did disaster strike? No. Would I do it again today? No.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Old 07-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #28

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
When I was young, I towed a 13' egg 2000 miles with a '84 Omni 2.2L. Did disaster strike? No. Would I do it again today? No.
Can't ignore the white knuckle towing vs. comfortable towing factor. Having a good solid set up is simply more comfortable to drive. What is solid enough depends on the individual.

I don't figure I am enough of an expert to tell someone that has been doing something well for years that it's "wrong" and they "shouldn't" do it that way. Heck my say so doesn't carry that much weight with my wife on certain decisions.

I'm comfortable stating what I would consider and the decisions I would make. Trying to prove I'm right when the other person is totally free to ignore me seems pointless.

If you don't have the expertise and knowledge to figure out your own solution that works then recognize it and give yourself a good margin of error.

As Harry Callahan said "A mans got to know his limitations".

The OP asked can this TV handle this trailer the answer they want is not another argument on towing capacity. I wouldn't because there is too much gap between presumed 1000# towing capacity and trailer weight. Not worth the hassle and limitations of trying to do it in my opinion.

There may well be a member that would make modifications and do it, or even has done it.

If you want to fight about which is "right" you could just get married and do it in private rather than here.