Pulling with a jeep? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #15

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
I tow with a pickup, but I'm just curious as to whether any of you feel any noticeable "bouncing" or following problems with your trailers while towing with a Jeep. Seems that with the short wheel base design, and the large tires, that it would be a pretty bouncy ride, but I'm just asking of those whose TV is a Jeep, if you've noticed any such handling/ride problems with your set-ups.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #16

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scampless in Oregon
Oregon
Have finally got my rig all set up... 2005 Unlimited Rubicon, auto, stock everything.
Andersen hitch to keep everything level. Haven't towed anywhere except local to make sure everything works!

I'll be having a hip replacement in early June.... so no camping until I recover from that .... but anxious!

Old 05-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #17

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
We tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 and have had no trouble. My Jeep suffers from the "DEATH WOBBLE" and its very strange that while pulling our trailer I have never experienced that problem. Google "Jeep Death Wobble" for explanation. Can also happen to Ford Excursions.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #18

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Alabama
I tow with the air pressure at 48-50 psi on the jeep, mine is loaded heavy with tuffy rear drawer and gear. Today I had oil change and tire rotation done and seen how much is sagging with the load on it. I don't have as much bouncing when towing, I'm using the Anderson WT Dist. Hitch. I'll try to get more pictures tomorrow in day light before I head to Atlanta area.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #19

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
towing a 13 ft perris pacer w/ a 1986 cj7

I tow my trailer without and braking / death wobbly or pulling issues. My tow vehicle is a 1986 cj7 w/ 6cyl in line 6 & a 5 speed transmission
I'd be more than happy to provide pics & answer any questions.
My trailer was recently weighed at 1560lbs w/ a tongue weight of 240

Old 05-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #20

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
We tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 and have had no trouble. My Jeep suffers from the "DEATH WOBBLE" and its very strange that while pulling our trailer I have never experienced that problem. Google "Jeep Death Wobble" for explanation. Can also happen to Ford Excursions.
A guess on my part is the front points slightly up when towing from "unloading"
which must change angles enough to prevent the "DW". I wonder if a good alignment shop could adjust your unloaded angles to match the loaded angles.

To answer the question about bouncing...... No, but we only have a 13' Scamp.
Dave & Paula
Old 05-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #21

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1975 ventura 400 towed by a jeep grand cherokee sometimes, and an ugly 89 dodge truck other times.
Alberta
Registry
I pull mine with a 4.0 grand Cherokee. It's great on the flat, leaves a bit to be desired in the rookies, but gets the job done. And a chassis as small and light as most jeeps definitely should have electric trailer brakes for the mountains! Especially if you have bigger than original tires.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #22

Name: Rich
Trailer: Burro
Maine
towing

I've never towed with a Jeep but I'd be less worried about getting it rolling as I would about it stopping or in emergencies. That short wheelbase could get pushed around easily. I've been in a Tahoe that had an unloaded Uhaul trailer (small one) come unhitched. It hit the rear of the truck while trying to brake to get it off the road. Safety chains held but it still pushed that truck a bit and the driver definitely had to react with steering to keep it under control. Course being surge brakes the trailer brakes never engaged since it came unhitched. Also if your vehicle doesn't have a ride control you should be able to find adjustable hitches that meet your needs. I am planning on buying one for my Scout II. Though I'm most likely selling my Burro for now. Now I'm not saying you can't tow with it just saying you need to be extra aware while towing.

Rich
Old 05-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #23

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I think it's bizarre that people often ask about "towing with a Jeep", without specifying which Jeep, but no one ever asks about - for instance - "towing with a Ford SUV" because that would be (equally) pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihwild View Post
I've never towed with a Jeep but I'd be less worried about getting it rolling as I would about it stopping or in emergencies. That short wheelbase could get pushed around easily.
I agree, but Jeeps come in a wide range of wheelbase. Only the short version of the traditional style (the Wrangler) is particularly short. The 4-door "Unlimited" version of the same model is quite long in wheelbase and short in overhang, making it quite suitable as a tug (except, of course, for the tendency to use tall mushy tires). Other Jeeps are typical compact and mid-sized SUVs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #24

Name: Neil
Trailer: Boler
California
Registry
I tow my 13' boler with a 5spd 2003 Liberty. The 3.7L v6 doesn't seem to have too many problems with hills unless I'm going through the Coquihalla and have to face 10-17% grade for countless km's. Braking isn't too bad, but since I had to do the axle anyways I went with electric brakes. Going to be the first summer with them so I can't say how much of a difference it'll make at this point.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #25

Name: Michel
Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Quebec
Registry
Changed our tow vehicule for a 2012 Jeep Wangler JK, 2drs, V6 3.6L with manual 6 speeds, 3,73 gear ratio. Towing my '73 Boler with it.

It is a really great combo, this handles with charm. The average we got with it over 1000 miles up to now is around 17.5 mpg at 60-65 mph. Going for a 4000 miles trip with it in the next 2 weeks.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I think the real question was social who tows with a Jeep? not how good does you Jeep tow you trailer or how to set up your Jeep to tow. Jeep owners like other Jeep owners and are use to socializing with each other.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #27

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Th e 4 door version did not start until later like 2008
Old 07-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #28

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Stev,

The second question in the opening thread was "How well does it work?"

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote