Pulling with a jeep? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2013, 01:33 AM   #41

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Brian,
Yes, not about Jeeps at all. I just read the above comment regarding trailers uncoupling and commented. Sorry for the hijack.

My mention of a "yoke" was describing a part within my coupler. I checked out your links to the Yoke type coupler. Mine is not a yoke type which has the wrap around design. The part I dubbed yoke is the Y shaped plate that grabs the underside of the ball. It seems that when it is sufficiently tightened to eliminate rattle it should still release from the ball when the lever is flipped up. Mine does not do that, so it will get the dumpster. The length of the forked end of the yoke is probably too long and could be trimmed back, but I don't think I'll go there.
Russ

PS My Jeep tows the Scamp pretty well. Now we're back on subject.
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #42

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
It seems that when it is sufficiently tightened to eliminate rattle it should still release from the ball when the lever is flipped up. Mine does not do that, so it will get the dumpster. The length of the forked end of the yoke is probably too long and could be trimmed back, but I don't think I'll go there.
Russ
Bull dog coupler
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #43

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Since the coupler topic won't die - and is interesting - a couple more comments:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Mine is not a yoke type which has the wrap around design. The part I dubbed yoke is the Y shaped plate that grabs the underside of the ball. It seems that when it is sufficiently tightened to eliminate rattle it should still release from the ball when the lever is flipped up. Mine does not do that, so it will get the dumpster. The length of the forked end of the yoke is probably too long and could be trimmed back, but I don't think I'll go there.
I would go with something like "jaw" for that part, to avoid confusion with a yoke, but I get the point. Yes, it should release if adjusted for zero play; it does seem like the wrong part, or just junk. I wouldn't modify it, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Bull dog coupler
When people mention a "Bulldog coupler", they usually seem to be referring to the forged Collar-Lok coupler design; the Bulldog brand is also applied to various other designs.

Another design which traps the ball between two substantial jaws is Lippert's Quick-Bite... but I have no experience with either.

There are a lot of coupler designs, beyond the basic generic type with the spring-loaded lever-actuated jaw behind the ball.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #44

Kansas
yeah, I meant the forged/cast style. Thanks for the link on that quick bite, I need to replace the one on my car trailer, it's wearing the top thin. That quick bite looks damn promising. I've seen similar on goosenecks, nice that somebody brought that to market.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #45

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Excuse my being new here...I just ordered a 13 ft Scamp...due early Nov. I have a 2013 jeep wrangler Sport with the tow pkg. it has the 4 pin plug. I was going to go up to Camping World to have it changed to a 7 pin and get the electric brake controller box, as I got the electric brakes. Now....not having a clue on this subject, do you all think I should go to jeep for this? Any suggestions on what I should get. I watched a video where he installed it on the lower dash under the ignition key...thoughts for a newbie?
Hman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #46

Kansas
Camping world would probably have more experience than the dealer, really.

For controllers, I won't touch anything other than the tekonsha prodigy (believe it's the p3 now). They cost money, but they operate so smoothly.

Another little tip I'll throw out. As long as you're getting one put in, they make the 7 pin connectors for the vehicle with a 4 flat on the side. I would go for one of them, good chance anything else you'll put behind a jeep is 4 flat. You can put an adapter in, but that's just one more thing to go wrong (actually, my adapter was built upside down, I had to take it apart and flip the guts 180 inside after filing a tab off...yay).

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FSZp7AodYVcA-Q
Old 08-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #47

Alabama
Thanks Jared. I think Scamp recommends a tekonsha and it had a number like 93-- ill check that out. I just want to get the best one for my situation and know the best spot people like to put it, prior to drilling holes in my lower dash.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #48

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
On my 07 wrangler, I put the controller effectively right over where my throttle leg is. Angle isn't an issue on the tekonsha controllers, so it's facing up at me. I'll take a quick snapshot of it tomorrow
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #49

Alabama
Thanks Paul...I would appreciate it. I traded in my 2000 Wrangler and got this one and am a little cautious about drilling holes.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #50

Alabama
I got the tow pkg but need the ball etc...any advice here would be great as well. Do I need any kind of sway bars or will it tow fine as is?
Old 08-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #51

Kansas
IMHO, a short wheelbase Jeep is one of the few vehicles I think I would put sway control on.

As for the ball, it should be 2" with a new one. Look on the coupler, it'll be stamped in it. When you get the ball, there are different shank sizes, if you already have a drawbar, get a ball that will fit the hole in it.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #52

Alabama
At Camping World too while I'm getting the controller? Expected cost?
Old 08-25-2013, 01:36 AM   #53

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Hman66
I'm running a few days late but Jeep has plug and play wiring so you don't have to cut/ splice... at least for TJs. I gut mine from Dealership or Quadratec. Quadratec is/ has SME if it has to deal with Jeeps.
I don't know about CJs or JKs I'm more knowledgeable on XJs, MJs and TJs been owner of these 1991 on (3 XJs, 2 MJs) 05LJ. On the subject of death wobble I might be a SME... I've had, have it in my 90 XJ there is many reasons for it.. bushings, tierod ends, lockers, Ackerman angles, toe alignment caster, camber, bent axle and brake pads/calipers problem. . just seen that one one a stock 06 LJ last week no lift street tires My 90 XJs lifted 6-8in(?), locked front axle, 4:56 geared with over 256000 miles on it.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote