Pulling with a jeep? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #21

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1975 ventura 400 towed by a jeep grand cherokee sometimes, and an ugly 89 dodge truck other times.
Alberta
Registry
I pull mine with a 4.0 grand Cherokee. It's great on the flat, leaves a bit to be desired in the rookies, but gets the job done. And a chassis as small and light as most jeeps definitely should have electric trailer brakes for the mountains! Especially if you have bigger than original tires.
streetvan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #22

Name: Rich
Trailer: Burro
Maine
towing

I've never towed with a Jeep but I'd be less worried about getting it rolling as I would about it stopping or in emergencies. That short wheelbase could get pushed around easily. I've been in a Tahoe that had an unloaded Uhaul trailer (small one) come unhitched. It hit the rear of the truck while trying to brake to get it off the road. Safety chains held but it still pushed that truck a bit and the driver definitely had to react with steering to keep it under control. Course being surge brakes the trailer brakes never engaged since it came unhitched. Also if your vehicle doesn't have a ride control you should be able to find adjustable hitches that meet your needs. I am planning on buying one for my Scout II. Though I'm most likely selling my Burro for now. Now I'm not saying you can't tow with it just saying you need to be extra aware while towing.

Rich
ihwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #23

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I think it's bizarre that people often ask about "towing with a Jeep", without specifying which Jeep, but no one ever asks about - for instance - "towing with a Ford SUV" because that would be (equally) pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihwild View Post
I've never towed with a Jeep but I'd be less worried about getting it rolling as I would about it stopping or in emergencies. That short wheelbase could get pushed around easily.
I agree, but Jeeps come in a wide range of wheelbase. Only the short version of the traditional style (the Wrangler) is particularly short. The 4-door "Unlimited" version of the same model is quite long in wheelbase and short in overhang, making it quite suitable as a tug (except, of course, for the tendency to use tall mushy tires). Other Jeeps are typical compact and mid-sized SUVs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #24

Name: Neil
Trailer: Boler
California
Registry
I tow my 13' boler with a 5spd 2003 Liberty. The 3.7L v6 doesn't seem to have too many problems with hills unless I'm going through the Coquihalla and have to face 10-17% grade for countless km's. Braking isn't too bad, but since I had to do the axle anyways I went with electric brakes. Going to be the first summer with them so I can't say how much of a difference it'll make at this point.
nlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #25

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
Changed our tow vehicule for a 2012 Jeep Wangler JK, 2drs, V6 3.6L with manual 6 speeds, 3,73 gear ratio. Towing my '73 Boler with it.

It is a really great combo, this handles with charm. The average we got with it over 1000 miles up to now is around 17.5 mpg at 60-65 mph. Going for a 4000 miles trip with it in the next 2 weeks.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I think the real question was social who tows with a Jeep? not how good does you Jeep tow you trailer or how to set up your Jeep to tow. Jeep owners like other Jeep owners and are use to socializing with each other.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #27

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Th e 4 door version did not start until later like 2008
Old 07-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #28

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Stev,

The second question in the opening thread was "How well does it work?"

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I think the real question was social who tows with a Jeep? not how good does you Jeep tow you trailer...
I agree that it was to some extent a social thing - we're in General Chat - but the actual original question included:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace57 View Post
How well dose it work for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The 4 door version did not start until later like 2008
Yes, the 2007 model year, with the introduction of the "JK" generation.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #30

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
I've been in a Tahoe that had an unloaded Uhaul trailer (small one) come unhitched. It hit the rear of the truck while trying to brake to get it off the road. Safety chains held but it still pushed that truck a bit and the driver definitely had to react with steering to keep it under control. Course being surge brakes the trailer brakes never engaged since it came unhitched.

Rich
There is a good argument for both a weight distributing hitch and electric brakes.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #31

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel, Bouchard View Post
Changed our tow vehicule for a 2012 Jeep Wangler JK, 2drs, V6 3.6L with manual 6 speeds, 3,73 gear ratio. Towing my '73 Boler with it.

It is a really great combo, this handles with charm. The average we got with it over 1000 miles up to now is around 17.5 mpg at 60-65 mph. Going for a 4000 miles trip with it in the next 2 weeks.
Looks like a great Combo. Sized right and when you get where you are going you have a great off road toy to play with and explore. I imagine you can get to camp sites where others fear to go.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #32

Quote:
I've been in a Tahoe that had an unloaded Uhaul trailer (small one) come unhitched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
There is a good argument for both a weight distributing hitch and electric brakes.
I have heard this theory before, that adding a WD system will make the trailer safer by holding the coupler on the ball. Yes, a conventional (not Andersen No-Sway) WD system does push the coupler down on the ball with great force. It seems to me that if the coupler is properly latched the trailer doesn't come unhitched, so rather than adding more hardware that further complicates the hitching process and increases the chance that something is missed, why not just keep it simple and use the equipment properly?

Rental trailers inherently involve the danger of an inexperienced driver using unfamiliar equipment which is not properly matched to the tug, guided by a rental business employee who neither knows anything about towing nor communicates anything to the driver. This situation probably has something to do with U-Haul trailers coming unhitched... and nothing about it would be improved by adding a WD system into the mix. There are good reasons that no U-Haul rental equipment uses WD.

Surge brakes have breakaway systems, equivalent in function to the breakaway switch of an electric brake system. I'm not very concerned about having brake control in the rare case that the trailer comes unhitched so that the surge action doesn't work, yet is still so closely attached (by the safety chains) that the breakaway system is not tripped and the electrical cable is still attached and functioning.

Also, if the trailer is held up by the safety chains and runs up against the tug with the coupler, the coupler will be pushed and the surge brake system will be activated to some extent.

Now, what does any of this have to do with pulling with a Jeep?
Old 07-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #33

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

I have heard this theory before, that adding a WD system will make the trailer safer by holding the coupler on the ball. Yes, a conventional (not Andersen No-Sway) WD system does push the coupler down on the ball with great force. It seems to me that if the coupler is properly latched the trailer doesn't come unhitched, so rather than adding more hardware that further complicates the hitching process and increases the chance that something is missed, why not just keep it simple and use the equipment properly?

Rental trailers inherently involve the danger of an inexperienced driver using unfamiliar equipment which is not properly matched to the tug, guided by a rental business employee who neither knows anything about towing nor communicates anything to the driver. This situation probably has something to do with U-Haul trailers coming unhitched... and nothing about it would be improved by adding a WD system into the mix. There are good reasons that no U-Haul rental equipment uses WD.

Surge brakes have breakaway systems, equivalent in function to the breakaway switch of an electric brake system. I'm not very concerned about having brake control in the rare case that the trailer comes unhitched so that the surge action doesn't work, yet is still so closely attached (by the safety chains) that the breakaway system is not tripped and the electrical cable is still attached and functioning.

Also, if the trailer is held up by the safety chains and runs up against the tug with the coupler, the coupler will be pushed and the surge brake system will be activated to some extent.

Now, what does any of this have to do with pulling with a Jeep?
I'll answer the last question first. Someone mention that short wheel base tugs are more subject to dangerous side force in the event of couple separation. I agreed and this is why I like WD hitches (and I'll be more specific and exclude Anderson WD hitches).

Personally I don't trust the typical couplers. They seem weak and untrustworthy to me. I removed one recently--two years ago and installed a Bulldog coupler which goes on a bit easier and is more comforting. On other trailers I've replaced couplers with the original type to avoid headaches matching components. In these cases the couplers were worn out.

Back to Short wheelbase Jeep's which I interpret to mean 2 door Wranglers. I like that they have a solid frame and the short wheel base makes the very maneuverable with a tow-- forwards or backing up. A Wrangler with an Egg can go places few other campers could go.

The danger towing is such a configuration would, most would agree, be more dangerous towing because of the short wheelbase--for the same reason these are so maneuverable.

Could you do without WD? Probably with an Egg in tow. Electric brakes...it would be wise to have them. I know people who have towed cross country several times with 7,000 lb dual axles w/o brakes--installed but not working. I think the driver was foolish, but then he never went faster than 50 - 55 the whole way.

So yes you could tow without WD or electric brakes of you are a smart cautious driver. Or you could go with the overkill approach with your hitch and coupler. It comes down to personal choice in the end.

I think a Wrangker with an egg in tow is an awesome combination.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #34

Name: Raymond
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
For 23 yrs now I have pulled a Scamp 13' standard layout with front bunk/couch, with our '97 TJ Wrangler. It had a 4" Lift and 35" tires with 4:11 gears and standard transmission. It pulled well except I would have to down shift to 3rd on mountain passes, and only got 10-11 mpg. I now pull a 13' Scamp with wood interior, with our 2007 JK Rubicon, with 5:38 gears and 37" tires, and automatic. No real difference noticed between the 4.0 I-6 and the 3.8 V-6 in the way it tows or the mpg. The Scamps never had any sway and both had trailer brakes.
Nice Jeep!
Rpryor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #35

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
We tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 and have had no trouble. My Jeep suffers from the "DEATH WOBBLE" and its very strange that while pulling our trailer I have never experienced that problem. Google "Jeep Death Wobble" for explanation. Can also happen to Ford Excursions.
Rosemary,
Sometimes the wobble comes from lifting the Jeep's suspension, which reduces castor angle. You have a choice to optimize the front drive shaft angle or optimize the castor angle. The only way to optimize both is to cut the axle tubes, twist to the new angle and re-weld. I chose to optimize the driveshaft angle. I have not experienced any wobble with 33" tires. Larger tires seem to help wobble. Poorly worn tires of any size can cause wobble though. Your trailer probably squats the jeep in the rear which increases castor angle, helping with wobble control.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #36

Name: Don
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700RGH
British Columbia
I pull my 17foot boler with my 98 Cherokee. It's lifted 6 inches with a long arm suspension, two lockers, offroad bumpers and rock sliders..
4.10 gears - when wheeling I roll 34inch tires, when pulling Boler and daily driving I have 31s on it.

I don't get the greatest fuel economy but it's not much different then running without a Boler attached.

I've had no problems with braking or power, however I used to roll with no swaybar - that was down right scary when pulling Boler.. I ended up getting a bigger grand cherokee swaybar and some quick disconnects for when i'm wheeling.

Pic is with a 10 inch drop hitch, before I replaced my boler axle with a straight axle (no drop knuckle)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20120506_113438 (Medium).jpg   EastHarrison_NewMeats (42).jpg  

Old 08-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #37

Name: Drew
Trailer: Love Bug
Alabama
I am pulling my Love Bug with a 94 wrangler all stock. I have to drop a gear on steep climbs and milage drops. Also in excese of 70 mph it gets a little squirelly when another vehicle passes so I keep it at 65 or less. No brakes on bug but I do keep a close eye on jeep brakes.
Paw_Paw_Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #38

Okay, I get the point that short-wheelbase vehicles (such as some Jeeps) are marginal for towing (in configuration, not mechanically) so extra care should be taken with the hitching system. Good point. ... although I don't think the trailer becoming unhitched should be an acceptable operating event with any tug!

Quote:
Electric brakes...it would be wise to have them. I know people who have towed cross country several times with 7,000 lb dual axles w/o brakes--installed but not working. I think the driver was foolish...
It seems like my post might have been interpreted as suggesting that brakes were not valuable - not at all! I was just saying that the advantage in the particular case quoted of electric brakes over surge brakes didn't seem very significant to me. Electric, surge, whatever - yes, have working trailer brakes!

Quote:
Personally I don't trust the typical couplers. They seem weak and untrustworthy to me. I removed one recently--two years ago and installed a Bulldog coupler which goes on a bit easier and is more comforting. On other trailers I've replaced couplers with the original type to avoid headaches matching components. In these cases the couplers were worn out.
While some couplers are definitely minimum-cost components, in all of the discussions in this forum and others I have never heard of a story of a undamaged coupler which was simply latched properly letting go of the ball. Yes, one member had one with a major missing part which would disengage when forced enough (!), and others have stories of "I don't know why but the trailer uncoupled", but I just don't see a problem to be fixed... especially with one of the more fundamentally sound designs, such as the Atwood yoke-type that is common on Bolers and some other eggs, or that forged Bulldog that I find awkward to use but is certainly substantially constructed.

There are exceptions, of course: I would rip one of those multi-ball-size handwheel things that U-Hauls uses off of anything that I owned. Would I leave that undesirable coupler on, then add a WD system to pin it down to the ball? No, with any vehicle.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #39

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I would like to do something better than the stock coupler on our Scamp. I was rattling, so I tightened the bolt that holds the yoke until the play was gone. It still had enough working clearance for turning. I thought I was done, until I tried to uncouple the trailer. I wouldn't clear the yoke. I had to back off the adjustment several turns to get it to clear. This tells me there is a design problem with the system, or the yoke is bent or worn. I purchased a kit with a new yoke and bolt and spring, but it was not compatible. They must be brand specific even if they look to be the same. I may just cut the whole coupler off and replace it. Modifing the yoke would work, but I would be open to liability in the event of failure.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #40

This isn't really about Jeeps at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
I would like to do something better than the stock coupler on our Scamp. I was rattling, so I tightened the bolt that holds the yoke until the play was gone. It still had enough working clearance for turning. I thought I was done, until I tried to uncouple the trailer. I wouldn't clear the yoke. I had to back off the adjustment several turns to get it to clear.
I purchased a kit with a new yoke and bolt and spring...
Russ, do you really mean "yoke"? I've never seen a yoke-type coupler with an adjustment of any kind, and the only spring is a minor part of the latch; yoke replacement kits are available, but they still don't add adjustment. It sounds like you are describing a rebuild kit for a common coupler with a lever that pulls a latch up against a spring... the wrong one of those certainly could fail to work properly.