Question about tension on hitch mount when disconnecting - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-27-2016, 09:19 AM   #1

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Question about tension on hitch mount when disconnecting

If I just pull to camp and unhitch, no problem. But if I need to level, I'm moving the trailer up onto a leveling system, then putting the truck in gear and putting on the parking brake, holding the trailer in place, to some extent, up on the level. Because of this, there's a lot of trailer weight pushing against my truck.

So you can image: when I use the tongue jack to raise the trailer up off my truck hitch, it's a bit stuck, and when it finally releases, there's a lot of built-up energy releasing with it. It's a little sketchy. It pops up and the whole trailer shakes/shifts.

Is this just "normal" and something to be aware of and be cautious, or am I doing something wrong, or is there a way to minimize this?

Thanks.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:26 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Zacho, if you are using wheel chocks in front and rear of the tires on both sides, then you ARE doing everything right, and must just be mindful of potential shifting of the trailer for your safety.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:37 AM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If there is pressure on the ball on the coupler from parking on a slope, the coupler way not release. Take the pressure off the ball by moving the vehicle back or forward a little.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
If there is pressure on the ball on the coupler from parking on a slope, the coupler way not release. Take the pressure off the ball by moving the vehicle back or forward a little.
Yup, have had to do that with my Scamp more than a few times & it does not necessary need to be out of level front to back - side to side will also often do it.

Sometimes I only need to take the brake off the vehicle to get it to move the vehicle forward or backwards a 1/4" of an inch or so before it will let the ball go. You could help it out by putting some of your weight on the vehicle hitch.

If you have difficulty unlocking the coupler release lever its a good indicator you may have troubles getting the coupler off the ball as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:14 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
for what you'd think would be one of the easiest things to do (un hooking) you really need to be cautious. there's a lot of physics involved. i always do everything i can to get the tv and trailer in a straight line. inclines cause issues also. combine the two and it gets a bit dangerous. years ago on a very narrow pull thru that was downhill while entering and up hill getting out. i wound up with the trailer going downhill and the truck going up and had just gotten the truck turned into the exit while the trailer was still wanting to go straight. when i jumped up and down on the truck's bumper the coupler violently disengaged from the ball and the whole thing suddenly shifted to the side. all ended well but it sure was scary and learned a good lesson.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:40 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I agree. Caution is needed. If I am cranking down the jack and it becomes clear I am past the point where it should have dropped out and I'm raising the back of the tug, I crank the jack back up, move the tug slightly to release pressure as Carol suggests, and try again. If your last move was backward, pull forward slightly, and vice versa. If there is a slope, the trailer may have shifted a bit as it settled into the chocks, so move in the direction of the slope.

Keeping the ball and coupler mechanism adequately lubricated seems to minimize problems.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #7

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
If the chocks are tight to the wheel, front and back, then there should be virtually no pressure on the ball hitch.
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #8

Montana
Thanks!

I think what I've been neglecting to do is, yes, pull a little forward or back after chocking the wheel. I'll try that next time. Especially with the Andersen level, I'm pushing/pulling the trailer up onto a slope to level it. So no matter how flat my parking spot is, if I need to level, then I'm creating a slope. So then my truck is holding it there. But yeah, if I chocked the wheel, then put the truck in neutral and let it roll which ever way it wants to roll, that should mostly take care of it.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #9

Montana
Thanks again everyone. Just wanted to report that by allowing the trailer and truck to roll where they want in neutral after leveling and chocking, I don't have the trailer tongue popping off under pressure anymore when I disconnect.