Old 06-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #15

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
If that's what it is, I wouldn't tow a Bigfoot with it. That's a class 1 hitch, only good for 2,000 gross and 200 lb. tongue. An older 17-ft BF comes in at almost 3,000 lbs. dry, more for the newer ones.
That's what I get for jumping on the 1st search result. They make 'em in Class III also, the Magnum had a Class III, and Geoff's vertical hitch is also Class III.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #16

Name: geoff
Trailer: bigfoot
Saskatchewan
You gave me a scare there, but yes it's a class 3. Chrysler put them on 2009/10 Journeys and Magnums. Then they stopped... Cause they're stupid.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #17

Saskatchewan
Inconvenient anyway.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Learn something new every day! Explains though why there appears to be little clearance with it on the back of the tug though. Clearly looks to be limiting in regards to how one can go about leveling the trailer out as well. Speaking of which what is that nice looking tug?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #19

Name: Sharon&Roger
Trailer: Bigfoot 15
Missouri
Bigfoots proximity to the ground

I have a 1990 17ft that had the same problem. I solved it by removing the axil from the above spring mount and remounted the springs on top of the axil. Do not flip anything. Yes the cost for me was around $600 but well worth it. Take it to a reputable RV repare.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #20

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I hope it's clear by now that if the chosen solution is to raise the trailer, this is not a rubber suspension so there is no need to replace the axle just because it might be sagging. If the beam is of the dropped type, the best way to raise it is by replacing it with a straight beam, so some degree of replacement might still be appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swasson View Post
I have a 1990 17ft that had the same problem. I solved it by removing the axil from the above spring mount and remounted the springs on top of the axil. Do not flip anything.
Good point - although this procedure is routinely called "flipping" and axle the correct procedure to convert from spring-under to spring-over is as described above.

Quote:
Yes the cost for me was around $600 but well worth it.
That seems very expensive for two common spring packs, some hardware, and the labour required to do a conversion to spring-over. It would be good for a complete replacement.

Quote:
Take it to a reputable RV repare.
Since there is nothing RV-specific about this, a spring shop or trailer builder are also good - and likely cheaper - options.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #21

Saskatchewan
Thanks for all the input. I did take her to Spring Service Ltd and they "flipped" the axel and replaced one broken leaf for $330. They confirmed that there is nothing wrong with the current axel, and the extra four inches solved my problem.
And if it stops raining I'll post an "after" pic.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Thanks for all the input. I did take her to Spring Service Ltd and they "flipped" the axel and replaced one broken leaf for $330. .
Awesome! Cheaper than a new axle for sure
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #23

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
If dragging the rear end when backing into the driveway is still a concern, you can add skid wheels. Better than gouging the frame into concrete!

RV Skid Wheels
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:38 AM   #24

Name: Mal
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Tooo Low

I had the axles flipped on our 19 foot Bigfoot soon after we bought it 20 yrs ago. It is the best thing you can do. No change in towing. I would maybe do a little shopping on the price to flip it, as it is a quick and easy job. Maybe new U-bolts at best. You will be thanking yourself the whole time you own it.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #25

Alberta
Geoff (spartacus) already had the work done, but in case anyone else refers to this discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal McDonald View Post
I had the axles flipped on our 19 foot Bigfoot...
... it is a quick and easy job. Maybe new U-bolts at best.
Not quite that simple: unless the axle comes with spring perches on both sides (unlikely for an original equipment axle), the spring-under to spring-over conversion requires either a bolt-on conversion kit, or welding on perches onto the top of the axle tube... plus new U-bolts.

The complete details of this type of conversion have appeared in a number of earlier discussions, and should be familiar to any spring/axle shop.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #26

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Tubular trailer axles can often be "flipped" to the bottom side of the leaf spring set UNLESS they have camber built into them. This is indicated by a slight curve to the axle. If so, you don't want to just rotate it 180 degrees and bolt it onto the bottom side of the springs.

But there is a kit available for installing spring mounts on top of the axle that requires minimal welding and you can re-install the axle and then tow it to a welding shop for final welding.(just don't connect the brakes) See etrailer.com for the kit.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #27

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Tubular trailer axles can often be "flipped" to the bottom side of the leaf spring set UNLESS they have camber built into them. This is indicated by a slight curve to the axle. If so, you don't want to just rotate it 180 degrees and bolt it onto the bottom side of the springs.
Yes, but literally flipping the axle - the 180 degree rotation - only works if you have a straight axle. Many owners looking to boost their trailers have drop-beam axles; if you flip one one of those you get a ridiculous increase in height to a questionable configuration. Since even the straight axles are normally cambered, I don't think many trailer owners can actually use the rotation method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
But there is a kit available for installing spring mounts on top of the axle that requires minimal welding and you can re-install the axle and then tow it to a welding shop for final welding.(just don't connect the brakes) See etrailer.com for the kit.
That's the conversion kit which I mentioned above.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #28

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
I just replaced the 4" drop axle on my Bigfoot with a straight axle last week. It gave me the hight I wanted and some ground clearance that I also wanted. If I had mounted the old 4" drop axle below the springs the frame and trailer itself would have been higher but the ground clearance, (distance from the ground to the axle) would have stayed the same.

The parts, a new Dexter EZ lube axle, U bolts, grease seals, etc. cost $150. The only axle available was the EZ lube. The local distributor said only EZ lube axles are available now. I'm not sure if he only stocked the EZ lube or Dexter only makes the EZ lube now. I don't now how much if any the EZ lube feature helps because I will still repack the bearings in a regular basis.

There is some welding involved. The new perches required welding and everything else was bolted.

The parts and a 12 pack of adult beverages for the welder were my total cost. Labor (mine) was free.

If I had taken it to a shop, they would have marked up the parts to $300 and added a few hundred dollars for labor.

I took it out for a short test run and was pleased with the change. I'm headed to the beach Sunday for another trip to check things out and I think I will be very happy.

Tags
bigfoot