Question on dry weight - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #1

Name: Aymmie
Trailer: Currently Shopping
British Columbia
Question on dry weight

Hi, I'm new and looking into getting an older Trillium however, the guy doesn't seem to know the dry weight. He keeps telling me the dry weight is 2000lbs for a 1980 15ft Trillium Jubilee however, I'm pretty sure that's the gross weight. I've searched the net but not having too much luck. Can any one help me with this please.
Aymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #2

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
You can likely find what you're looking for here:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

....and welcome to the forum.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
2000lbs for an unloaded 15' fiberglass trailer sounds btw about right. Loaded it probable comes in closer to 2500/2600lbs or more including the tongue weight.

Why is the manufactures dry weight needed? - it really doesnt mean a lot. As it often does not include much of anything - not even the awning, propane tanks, battery, stove, fridge etc. Most folks find the loaded weight to be the more helpful number to know.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:49 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Aymmie,

Dry weight is not very important. The critical numbers are loaded weight and tongue weight, both of which you will have some control over.

We've owned three small trailers and I don't know the dry weight of any of them but I do know the loaded weights.

Most of our trailers were older units, at least 20 years old, and our concern was the trailer's physical condition. As Carol stated the trailer is likely going to weigh about 2500 lbs when loaded. Our 3 trailers, set up for extended travel, weighed within about 100 lbs of this including the tongue weight.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #5

British Columbia
Thanks everyone, and to Clif, that was very helpful. The dryweight is important for me bcuz I want to take this trailer (EMPTY) to a reunion as all I need is a place to sleep so won't be using water or propane or anything other than trailer and blankets. I know my max for my vehicle is 1800lbs and I need trailer that sleeps 4. (3 adults and a baby but only baby and myself in the tow vehicle so not concerned about added luggage and weight in TV)
Old 07-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymmie View Post
The dryweight is important for me bcuz I want to take this trailer (EMPTY) to a reunion as all I need is a place to sleep so won't be using water or propane or anything other than trailer and blankets.
As suggested even without water and only blankets for sleeping the trailer you are considering will be well over your 1800lb limit when empty. Unless you are wanting/able to remove the battery, fridge, stove, awning, portapotty, propane tanks etc and carry no clothing or food etc.

Keep in mind most of the trailers on the Real World Weights thread most probable did not have any water in their tanks either or if they did very little. They were weighed on arrival at a full service campground so most people don't tow with water in there tanks to such places. My trailer appears 2x on the list and it had no water in any of the tanks.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #7

Florida
Aymmie, What do you have for a tow vehicle?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Aymmie, What do you have for a tow vehicle?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
I've got a 05 Dodge Caravan with no tow pkg 3.3 V6 but I just had a transmission cooler added. It an 8 hr trip over the Canadian Rockies.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
As suggested even without water and only blankets for sleeping the trailer you are considering will be well over your 1800lb limit when empty. Unless you are wanting/able to remove the battery, fridge, stove, awning, portapotty, propane tanks etc and carry no clothing or food etc.

Keep in mind most of the trailers on the Real World Weights thread most probable did not have any water in their tanks either or if they did very little. They were weighed on arrival at a full service campground so most people don't tow with water in there tanks to such places. My trailer appears 2x on the list and it had no water in any of the tanks.
Thanks, I'm now understanding more the term of dry weight. I'm learning lots on here....and a total newbie!
Old 07-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymmie View Post
I've got a 05 Dodge Caravan with no tow pkg 3.3 V6 but I just had a transmission cooler added. It an 8 hr trip over the Canadian Rockies.
Properly equipped a 05 Dodge Caravan with a 3.3 can tow 3,500lbs. If you contact a Dodge dealer they should be able to tell you what else is required to make up the 3,500 tow rating. Some times it is very minimal and is just the tranny cooler which you already have.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Properly equipped a 05 Dodge Caravan with a 3.3 can tow 3,500lbs. If you contact a Dodge dealer they should be able to tell you what else is required to make up the 3,500 tow rating. Some times it is very minimal and is just the tranny cooler which you already have.
I did, my van is max 1800lbs. I called 5 different dealers and for an 05, that's it unless it came with the tow package which it did not. My manual also says the same thing. So.... it looks like a pop-up or a 13ft is my options.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #12

Florida
Aymmie,

I might ask the dealers what the tow package includes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Aymmie,

I might ask the dealers what the tow package includes.
I did, they were the ones that suggested the extra cooler but at this very moment, I cannot remember what the list was. But maybe I will call again.

Tags
weight