Questions about towing - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 3
New to FiberglassRV.com, and I am about to be a first time Scamp owner, I have never owned any recreational vehicles before, travel for me was always a car and a tent!

A little background: My mom is giving her old Scamp to me and my husband. It's an older model, circa the 70's, not sure what year yet. My grandmother, coincidentally, is selling us her 2008 Chevy HHR after Grampa's death. Mom and Grammie live in New England, my husband and I live in Texas, about a 2500 mile drive.

Now to my question: I have read that the Scamp weighs about 1000 pounds, and Mom has made a few alterations, she thinks about an additional 100 pounds, and she has removed the water tank and propane tank. The Chevy HHR tows 1000 pounds. Grammie says she doesn't want us to tow the Scamp with the HHR, she is afraid towing at the max capacity would be a bad idea. That is, however, the only realistic way for us to get the Scamp to Texas! Any suggestions/warnings for us?

On another note, we dow already own a Volvo, which will tow the Scamp no problem, but it needs some work before it would ever make a trip like that, and we would have to make this trip before October, in case of snow in New England. Obviously the HHR is the ideal solution, but I am afraid to risk it!

Thanks so much!
__________________

__________________
Jennifer Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Raya's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Posts: 3,014
Hi Jennifer, and welcome

I'm going to have to disappoint you on the 1000# capacity tow vehicle. We have been 'round and 'round with other folks who have vehicles with that rating, and no matter how careful or "light" you are, there is just no way to tow any of our 13-footers and stay legal with that set up. We really have turned over every possible stone on this one.

On the other hand, what sort of Volvo do you have? I have a 240 wagon that tows my Boler 13 happily (And is rated for over 3000#)

Raya

PS: Just so you know, the "900#" weights of the older Scamps and etc. were really a bit of a myth. Unless you weigh YOUR trailer at an official scale and come up with a figure, you really can't know, and you're most likely to come up with about 1200# (before you add any gear). Some weigh more.
__________________

__________________
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Bryan L.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Posts: 304
It's kinda crazy that a Pontiac Vibe can tow 500 pounds more than the HHR.
__________________
"The babbling that I brook." - Pink Floyd

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:55 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 3
Quote:
It's kinda crazy that a Pontiac Vibe can tow 500 pounds more than the HHR.
Yes, I read that too! Makes no sense!
__________________
Jennifer Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 3
Quote:
Hi Jennifer, and welcome

I'm going to have to disappoint you on the 1000# capacity tow vehicle. We have been 'round and 'round with other folks who have vehicles with that rating, and no matter how careful or "light" you are, there is just no way to tow any of our 13-footers and stay legal with that set up. We really have turned over every possible stone on this one.

On the other hand, what sort of Volvo do you have? I have a 240 wagon that tows my Boler 13 happily (And is rated for over 3000#)

Raya

PS: Just so you know, the "900#" weights of the older Scamps and etc. were really a bit of a myth. Unless you weigh YOUR trailer at an official scale and come up with a figure, you really can't know, and you're most likely to come up with about 1200# (before you add any gear). Some weigh more.
Thank you SO MUCH! It's good to get a "final answer" on this... I guess our only option is to get our Volvo fixed (it's an 850, tows I think 2500# if I'm remembering correctly)and try to pick up the Scamp next year. I've been wanting one for YEARS, so it's hard to wait, but I don't want to ruin a new car in the process! Thanks again!
__________________
Jennifer Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Carol Ann in TO's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Posts: 367
Registry
Quote:
It's kinda crazy that a Pontiac Vibe can tow 500 pounds more than the HHR.

You want crazy?? An E-class Mercedes cannot tow at all!
__________________
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
DonDeutsch's Avatar
 
Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Minnesota
Posts: 328
Quote:
You want crazy?? An E-class Mercedes cannot tow at all!
Wow that is crazy. At the risk of having everyone down on me, I have never looked up a tow rating and have been pulling trailers for 40 years. Also I have worked in trailer mfg and Hitch shop.

I makemy own calls on towing.
__________________
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
Member
 
Trailer: U-Haul
Posts: 38
I am impressed.
So tell me Don, just how long have you worked for BP?

David A.L.


Quote:
Wow that is crazy. At the risk of having everyone down on me, I have never looked up a tow rating and have been pulling trailers for 40 years. Also I have worked in trailer mfg and Hitch shop.

I makemy own calls on towing.
__________________
David A. L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
I am impressed.
So tell me Don, just how long have you worked for BP?

David A.L.
David'
That's just the way life is. .. some just follow instructions while others need to know why , and use their own judgment.
The latter is where ALL of history's progress has come from , and a few of its' setbacks .
__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
Member
 
Trailer: U-Haul
Posts: 38
Floyd, I will be so bold as to suggest a book titled "Connections" by James Burke. It is a companion to the PBS TV series of the same name. I received a copy over a dozen years ago yet I just checked and it is still in print and available thru Amazon.com both as the book or should you prefer the DVD series.

Should you read that book you will discover that innovation was not by someone who prided themselves on never having looked up any specifications.

Civilization as we know it relies on certain rules in order to exist. One of those rules is that in this country we drive on the right side of the road, keeping to our side of the centerline. This is for the common good and well being of all those using the highway. Likewise restrictions are placed on load carrying capacities of vehicles and the trailers they may tow. To infer that someone who has forty years following directions of someone else installing hitches and towing and as a result knows better the safe towing capabilities of vehicles than the engineers who designed and built them is ludicrous.

He said he worked at such facilities not owned them, you can bet had he owned them and was responsible for the outcome of his actions he would have looked up and knew the towing capabilities of rigs. The idea that somehow disregarding the specifications is advancing knowledge and civilization boggles the mind. We are talking safety here, in particular the safety of innocents.

To have pride in not ever looked up a specification and presenting oneself as some sort of an expert boggles the mind. Pride in being ignorant???

What you do on your property is your business. Overload your rigs, drive drunk I don't care but when you pull out onto the highway it is a different story, but you know that.

David A.L.

Life is hard and harder if you make stupid decisions.

Quote:
David'
That's just the way life is. .. some just follow instructions while others need to know why , and use their own judgment.
The latter is where ALL of history's progress has come from , and a few of its' setbacks .
__________________
David A. L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Floyd, I will be so bold as to suggest a book titled "Connections" by James Burke. It is a companion to the PBS TV series of the same name. I received a copy over a dozen years ago yet I just checked and it is still in print and available thru Amazon.com both as the book or should you prefer the DVD series.

Should you read that book you will discover that innovation was not by someone who prided themselves on never having looked up any specifications.

Civilization as we know it relies on certain rules in order to exist. One of those rules is that in this country we drive on the right side of the road, keeping to our side of the centerline. This is for the common good and well being of all those using the highway. Likewise restrictions are placed on load carrying capacities of vehicles and the trailers they may tow. To infer that someone who has forty years following directions of someone else installing hitches and towing and as a result knows better the safe towing capabilities of vehicles than the engineers who designed and built them is ludicrous.

He said he worked at such facilities not owned them, you can bet had he owned them and was responsible for the outcome of his actions he would have looked up and knew the towing capabilities of rigs. The idea that somehow disregarding the specifications is advancing knowledge and civilization boggles the mind. We are talking safety here, in particular the safety of innocents.

To have pride in not ever looked up a specification and presenting oneself as some sort of an expert boggles the mind. Pride in being ignorant???

What you do on your property is your business. Overload your rigs, drive drunk I don't care but when you pull out onto the highway it is a different story, but you know that.

David A.L.

Life is hard and harder if you make stupid decisions.
GREAT series!
You misunderstand my characterizations. and also the dynamics of innovation.
In fact, I suggest a reread of Connections!
Your reaction is predictable and proves my point. Followers have never seen the need to know why, nor do they trust their own judgement, so naturally they will always be offended at the thought.
Understanding the why and how something works, places a person in a position to judge it's use.
You are right about that specific inference that you made, perhaps you shouldn't have.
I made no such implication.

The fact of the matter is that BP employs the very best experts in the world and confers regularly with others who do the same,[it's called benchmarking] then they use their own judgement.
99.99% of the time the result is that your home is warm and your car runs, I allowed for the setbacks inherent in the risk involved, but serendipity and progress it'self seldom falls into the laps of those who lack curiosity or have no appetite for risk.
Such people are usually relegated to the ranks of the Monday morning quarterbacks.

I assure you that I have as much respect and understanding of safety as you have as well as a willingness to rely on established engineering principles, however I am willing to violate the rule to keep on my side of the centerline, when an innocent child steps off the curb,and in so doing,showing a willingness to rely on my own judgment.
When you respond ,infer all you like, but please make no claim that I implied anything.
Regards;Floyd
BTW; I clearly understand the merits of your position and respect them within their narrow perameters.
I simply believe that the objective principles of science and engineering are not respecters of experts and rule makers, or would you like to go back to the day when doctors recommended cigarettes.
I chose not to smoke then, using my own judgment, while waiting for the experts to catch up.
__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
Member
 
Trailer: U-Haul
Posts: 38
Floyd, You misunderstand me. I used the BP as "a poke in the ribs", to point out in a what was hoped to be a somewhat humorous fashion the bizarreness of the opinion tendered by Don. My critic of your comments was that you supported a person who presented ignorance as it was a credential. And that the judgement of such an individual based on such a claim was somehow of any value. Obviously my attempt at humor was lost on you. Perhaps you have some reason for being a bit touchy and defensive about BP, did you have stock in the company? If so, I'm sorry. The bad decision had many many far reaching consequences unconsidered at the time of the poor decision.

As for BP itself, I worked on TAPS as a Quality Control Engineer in the employ of Bechtel. As such we worked ahand in hand with Alyeska, a consortium of several oil companies of which BP was a member. I am familiar with working on deadlines and to budget. And working with the "oilfield" mentality. That was years (decades) ago but even then there was a risk benefit analysis for such situations as presented themselves in the Gulf. Had they known the outcome surely they would have chosen differently and I expect as a result they will do so in the future. That doesn't negate the incorrectness of the choices made that fateful day. And from the accounts I have read it would appear that the wrong decision was the result of someone who was not so concerned about possible downside as a schedule. And he paid with his life for that poor decision; unfortunately many others have also suffered and died as a result of the wrong decision. And like it or not and rightfully or not BP will be long remembered for the poor decision made that day.


To bring this back to something relevant to towing: IMHO anyone towing beyond the stated capacity of their rigs is taking a serious risk. Should they assume that risk then they should be prepared to accept the consequences if the results come out poorly.
And anyone accepting consul from anyone who uses ignorance as a credential needs to seriously rethink their values.

I have to leave this discussion for a few days as we have guests from Switzerland arriving shortly and spending a few days with us. Floyd, I expect we would probably get on fine and would enjoy a beer together; as for Don, well not so much.

Bests,
David A. L.
__________________
David A. L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Floyd, You misunderstand me. I used the BP as "a poke in the ribs", to point out in a what was hoped to be a somewhat humorous fashion the bizarreness of the opinion tendered by Don. My critic of your comments was that you supported a person who presented ignorance as it was a credential. And that the judgement of such an individual based on such a claim was somehow of any value. Obviously my attempt at humor was lost on you. Perhaps you have some reason for being a bit touchy and defensive about BP, did you have stock in the company? If so, I'm sorry. The bad decision had many many far reaching consequences unconsidered at the time of the poor decision.

As for BP itself, I worked on TAPS as a Quality Control Engineer in the employ of Bechtel. As such we worked ahand in hand with Alyeska, a consortium of several oil companies of which BP was a member. I am familiar with working on deadlines and to budget. And working with the "oilfield" mentality. That was years (decades) ago but even then there was a risk benefit analysis for such situations as presented themselves in the Gulf. Had they known the outcome surely they would have chosen differently and I expect as a result they will do so in the future. That doesn't negate the incorrectness of the choices made that fateful day. And from the accounts I have read it would appear that the wrong decision was the result of someone who was not so concerned about possible downside as a schedule. And he paid with his life for that poor decision; unfortunately many others have also suffered and died as a result of the wrong decision. And like it or not and rightfully or not BP will be long remembered for the poor decision made that day.


To bring this back to something relevant to towing: IMHO anyone towing beyond the stated capacity of their rigs is taking a serious risk. Should they assume that risk then they should be prepared to accept the consequences if the results come out poorly.""
And anyone accepting consul from anyone who uses ignorance as a credential needs to seriously rethink their values.

I have to leave this discussion for a few days as we have guests from Switzerland arriving shortly and spending a few days with us. Floyd, I expect we would probably get on fine and would enjoy a beer together; as for Don, well not so much.

Bests,
David A. L.

""Should they assume that risk then they should be prepared to accept the consequences if the results come out poorly.
And anyone accepting consul from anyone who uses ignorance as a credential needs to seriously rethink their values". Agreed!

And a paraphrase....

I expect we would probably get on fine and would enjoy each others company.[I'm a teetotaler] Agreed as well!

35 years with XOM nee Mobil Oil

BTW... Hey! It's only Saturday!!
__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Trailer:
Posts: 787
Some of you guys must never come to Europe, because it would probably disturb you to see the impossible being done every day.

In Britain, the Honda Fit has a manufacturer's tow rating of 2,200 pounds, though the British caravan (trailer) club would say that the sensible tow-er must not exceed 2,000 pounds.....

Andrew
__________________

__________________
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basic Camper Towing Questions Jason Rutten Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 8 03-06-2010 07:00 AM
More Subaru Forester Towing Questions Michelle A Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 12 04-04-2009 11:18 PM
Towing questions Don Barnes Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 05-30-2007 08:37 AM
Replacement windows, questions, questions. CliveAlive Modifications, Alterations and Updates 4 07-13-2006 08:32 AM
Newbie questions on towing/repair Sharyl Allender General Chat 23 05-29-2006 12:03 AM

» Trailer Showcase

Cucumber

hueman

Pogo

earlejk
» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.