Questions regarding Axle from Jonathan - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #1

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I am considering "flipping the axle" and adding larger tires and rims (currently 13"). At any rate you did in fact get a very good deal in my opinion. Enjoy!
Just add a spacer and if you get the 45 degree down angle... you can go to 15" tire. I know, I did... three years ago!

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Just add a spacer and if you get the 45 degree down angle... you can go to 15" tire. I know, I did... three years ago!
Can you elaborate a bit? I'm not too versed on this subject. Will a 15" tire alone only give me 2 more inches? What is this spacer?

Old 03-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #3

Oregon
Quote:
Can you elaborate a bit? I'm not too versed on this subject. Will a 15" tire alone only give me 2 more inches? What is this spacer?
I'll split this into another topic. Let's let the HoustonFamily continue to brag in their own topic!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the new thread. Help me understand. What is this spacer you mentioned? Can I install it myself? If so how much more clearance can I gain by adding 15" tires? Is it only more 2" or does the spacer give me more? Where exactly does the spacer go and where can i get one? Thanks Donna!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #5

Oregon
The problem Jonathan, is if there's enough clearance. I have a 1988 and when the axle (and rubber) was shot, I replaced it. Went with a 45 degree down angle and now there's plenty of clearance for 15" tires. Remember, you need about a fist's worth of space between the top of the tire and the top of the wheel well (for movement of the up/down of the axle).

If the axle is good and you're not changing it for purposes of just wanting brakes, etc. Then you can add a spacer between the frame and the axle. Let me see if I can find a picture and I'll edit this topic. Give me an hour or so.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #6

Quote:
The problem Jonathan, is if there's enough clearance. I have a 1988 and when the axle (and rubber) was shot, I replaced it. Went with a 45 degree down angle and now there's plenty of clearance for 15" tires. Remember, you need about a fist's worth of space between the top of the tire and the top of the wheel well (for movement of the up/down of the axle).

If the axle is good and you're not changing it for purposes of just wanting brakes, etc. Then you can add a spacer between the frame and the axle. Let me see if I can find a picture and I'll edit this topic. Give me an hour or so.
That would be great. I haven't really been able to see what is going on under the Scamp to know what has to be done (too little clearance to get my head under there). I was planning on pulling it up onto ramps soon to check it out. This was the only thing I wanted to do that requires me to 'send it out' as opposed to doing it myself. Anyway...I look forward to the update. Thanks again!
Old 03-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #7

Oregon
Okay, found two pictures.

You can see where the spacer was welded to the frame (top welds), then the axle welded to the spacer (bottomwelds)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spacer.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	11970

A closeup showing the spacer. It's a metal tube about 2-1/2-3 feet long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SpacerCloseUp.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	11971

(FYI.... pics are from Larry Page's 5th wheel, he sent me this pictures to assist the axle swap for my trailer)
Old 03-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #8

Ahhh....its all so clear now. The kicker is that my neighbor just offered his welding services anytime I need them. I am assuming I'd also need new rims to accomodate larger wheels. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #9

Oregon
Like I said, I don't know if you are replacing the axle, or just raising the trailer. But, if you're replacing the axle like I did.... when I ordered it from Dexter I picked the bolt pattern to be 5 on 4-1/2 (I think!). The same as Ford Motor Company. Then I purchased two new wheels that are Ford pattern. (Actually, they're Chevy Corvette wheels with Ford bolt pattern ) If necessary I could go to a junk yard and get rims.....
Old 03-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Not sure if I am clarifying or muddying, but Jonathan used the term "flipping", a misnomer used in leaf-spring axles when one moves the axle from above the spring-pile to below the spring-pile (aka over-slung to under-slung). This lowers the axle with respect to the trailer frame and allows use of larger rims/tires.

Can't do that with a torsion axle. Need a spacer, as Donna describes, or install FlexiRide axle with adjustable down-angle.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I should add that if it is a leaf-spring and you do a 'flip' (not actually flipping the axle because the beam needs to arc the way it is), be sure to limit the new spring setup with a block of some kind so that it can NOT travel any further than it did before changing things. Otherwise you risk flexing the springs too far and breaking them. Dexter has a note to this effect in their Under/Over-Slung Kit.

Tags
axle