Quick Detachable Jack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quick Detachable Jack

With our new F-150 came the ability to carry all the gear we’ll probably never use. Of course the only problem is accessing that gear before unhitching since the Casita jack interferes with Ford tailgate. Knowing this ahead of time and not being prepared to live without a new truck or with this situation I needed a solution.

Since I only have basic hand tools with which to fabricate steel and no easy way to bend or make large holes I concluded that a quick detachable jack system using only off the shelf components that would need minimal modification was the way to go. Welding would have to be subbed out but there would be no expensive outside experimental fabrication.

The resulting mod consists of a flanged female threaded assembly bolted to the trailer and a male threaded assembly welded to the jack. All the fabrication other than welding was done with a vise, hacksaw, files, a HD pistol drill and a few other common hand tools and took about 3 hours.
The system works really well. No tools are needed to set it up or take it down. Because of the straight coupling the jack spins easily down to the stop and because it can be removed from the trailer as soon as it is raised enough for the foot to clear the ground a lot of cranking is eliminated.

The basic bill of materials consists of:
(1) 2-1/2 x 6 sch. 80 pipe nipple
(1) 2-1/2 straight thread ridged conduit pipe coupling
(1) 3/8 pipe half coupling
(1) 3/8 x 3 pipe nipple
(1) 3/8 pipe cap
(1) 2-1/2 USS flat washer
(18”) .063 wire
(3) 3/8 x1 grade 5 bolts & nuts

Total: $45- $50 + Welding: $25

If anyone has any interest in doing this mod I’ll write up detailed instructions and post them.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3508 (Small).JPG   IMG_3517 (Small).JPG  

IMG_3518 (Small).JPG   IMG_3521 (Small).JPG  

IMG_3523 (Small).JPG  
Kliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
That is brilliant!
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm curious why you would need a weight distribution hitch for towing with an F150? The tongue weight surely is less than 500# which I assume the truck can handle without any issues?
Other than that, it is brilliant solution to a common problem. I bought another jack with a removable handle to solve my clearance issues.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Great Idea..... I currently have to remove the jack on my Hunter (3 nuts) when towing as it sticks down and hits on the slightest dip. I like your idea even better.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I recently acquired a side-crank swivel jack that's removable from the trailer tongue simply by pulling the position-fixing pin. Its mounting position doesn't interfere with W/D hitches, and it looks much like the jack shown below:

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Without the long shank and head of the wdh, Pete's tailgate might be hitting the tank fairing also, Jim. And it's only a little single-bar trailer-wagger anyway so where's the harm. I assume there's a cap or tonneau cover on the p'up which makes the t/g operation so important.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm curious why you would need a weight distribution hitch for towing with an F150? The tongue weight surely is less than 500# which I assume the truck can handle without any issues?
Other than that, it is brilliant solution to a common problem. I bought another jack with a removable handle to solve my clearance issues.
Jim,
Prior to getting the F-150 I towed with a Chevy Trailblazer. I've only had the truck 6 weeks and only towed locally to set things up. Like you, I assume the wd hitch may not be necessary Next week we're heading to Myrtle Beach and on the trip I'll be experimenting and will decide whether to use it or not. I set it up for the photo to demonstrate the available space on the Casita tongue.
Pete
Old 02-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Understandable, a throwback to the old tug, thanks for explaining. You mentioned detailed pictures/instructions, can you post prior to leaving, thanks. Pete, I think we camped with you guys last year @ Myrtle Beach in February with the Frogmore Stew. I did not see anything on the the calendar or I may have made plans. If I have the wrong Pete, I apologize.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #9

Jack,
There's a cap but the jack's the only interference. I paid for the tailgate and I want to use it! If the cap weren't there I couldn't reach in there anyway it's so high.
Pete
Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #10

Right Pete