Raising 84 scamp by 2 in. - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth Mack
Trailer: 2008 16ft Scamp
Georgia
Raising 84 scamp by 2 in.

I added 2 in. to the axle bracket to gain extra clearance between the tire and wheel well. The mounting bracket was 2 in. wide so I added a 2 in. square tubing between the axle mounting bracket and frame. I put half in. grade 8 bolts.to hold tube to mounting bracket of axle. I used bolts to mount tube to frame. I then welded all joints good . One tire had made contac with wheel well just a little. The hardest part was getting old axle out without damage. I had put new brakes on earlier, if not I would have put new off road axle. Bearings and seals were good on old axle and torshion bar was still working. It took about 7 hours and 2o dollars to do job Mack Smith

Old 05-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #2

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I will be doing a similar operation to my 16' Scamp. I will be adding larger rims and tires to gain some weight carrying capacity. Square tube should make a good spacer. Did you take some pics?
Russ

Old 05-27-2012, 05:02 AM   #3

Georgia
No no picks
Old 06-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #4

Name: tom
Trailer: Had a Scamp sold , Now have a Casita
New Mexico
Smile

No pictures then it never really happen.

We need pics PLEASE

We are old.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #5

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
OK, if you want pics, there are some of mine being raised by 2" here.
2 posts following you can see the trailer raised before I swapped axles.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #6

Georgia
Tom my scamp was raised by 2 in and I do not need to make pictures to prove it. I agree they could be helpful if you do not know how. and do not care if you belive it or not. Thanks kenneth Smith
Old 07-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Noah
Trailer: Accessories Manufacturer
Texas
I would stress for those looking to takle this project to use extreme caution when choosing your plan. I would suggest using at least 3/16 gauge material if you are using steel tubing attached via welding wire. If you plan to use steel tubing and want to secure the axle to the raised frame by drilling a hole through the tubing, please remember a couple of things. One, a steel stint may be needed inside the steel tubing to prevent deformation of the tubing due to over tightening the bolts. Secondly, don't forget to prep your steel with a wire brush or sandpaper for oxidation and paint the heck out of it with a rust preventative paint. Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #8

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
I would stress for those looking to takle this project to use extreme caution when choosing your plan. I would suggest using at least 3/16 gauge material if you are using steel tubing attached via welding wire. If you plan to use steel tubing and want to secure the axle to the raised frame by drilling a hole through the tubing, please remember a couple of things. One, a steel stint may be needed inside the steel tubing to prevent deformation of the tubing due to over tightening the bolts. Secondly, don't forget to prep your steel with a wire brush or sandpaper for oxidation and paint the heck out of it with a rust preventative paint. Hope this helps.
Noah,
All good advice. I will add internal bolt sleeves welded to the tube to provide support. 3/16" wall tube would be the minimum to consider, and cleanliness is next to Godliness when it comes to welding.
Russ

Tags
scamp