Raising the axle on my Egg camper??? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 10:01 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Dog wagging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Dog trotting is caused by the axle not being at a 90* angle to the ball. Some times a good hit on a curb or hole can knock it out of square. But in these cases it would come from an axle that is held to the frame with u bolts. My axle was bolted on and the lift kit from LHC was all machined to keep it all square. Tail wag is caused by an uneven load, front to back or side to side, not the height. Sounds like you have had a bit of this already going on before the lift so I really have say your loading is causing it. Have you weighed the tongue?
You are right on target. This is more evident when loaded to heavy to the rear. Have a Trailer shop, are alignment shop Square the axle to the frame.
Jim Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:57 AM   #22

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
The tongue weight is 300 Lbs and she is square. I double checked that. I don't have hardly any thing in the camper right now so it cant be I have it loaded wrong. it's got me baffled
It's not bad, it only gets squirmy after 60mph.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #23

Registry
Raising axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
The tongue weight is 300 Lbs and she is square. I double checked that. I don't have hardly any thing in the camper right now so it cant be I have it loaded wrong. it's got me baffled
It's not bad, it only gets squirmy after 60mph.
Did you change your tires/wheels?
Old 07-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #24

New York
Registry
No I did not change my tiers.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #25

Registry
Raising axle

Quote:
Ok after test towing the extra lift has made it a bit loose. I am going to add a anti sway bar. It's not bad, but I want it to be as safe as possible incase I have to do some abrupt maneuvering.

Well that eliminates that idea. Sometimes if you put radials on a trailer, it will feel squirley
Old 07-18-2015, 12:11 PM   #26

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thor View Post
Well that eliminates that idea. Sometimes if you put radials on a trailer, it will feel squirley

Yep I'm baffled ! When I leave for NJ I will try loading it heavy up front and see how it tows.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:49 AM   #27

Name: Jesse
Trailer: Big Foot
British Columbia
I had my axel flipped as well as struts put on. it has almost 2 feet clearance now. I take it to back road camping and have no troubles getting anywhere is need to go. Costly but worth every penny
Jesse Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:55 AM   #28

New York
Registry
Well I solved my problem. I lowered my ball height another 2 " and it towed like a dream.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:30 AM   #29

Registry
Outstanding. When I had my original Burro, it pulled excellent.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #30

New York
Registry
After 6 hours of towing some of it in rush hour traffic on the garden state parkway in NJ with all the crazy drivers. I am happy to report my Eggcamper preformed like a dream and the new lift kit let me get into some places I could have never dared to.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:06 PM   #31

Registry
Does anyone know which Dexter lift kit is for a B Burro?
Old 07-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #32
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
What I meant was I think by raising the center of gravity it has made it unstable. It does not track behind the TV as well as it did before. It's like it does not have enough tongue weight.
I agree. This is the common result of raising a trailer or any vehicle. Stability is reduced in one form or another, or to some degree or another.

Even as a kid at the CNE stock car race one car had the back end raised higher than the rest of the field. On every corner it started to get tipsy.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote