Ram 3.0L Diesel Experience - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-27-2015, 03:48 AM   #15

Trailer:
When comparing the costs of gas and diesel vehicles, you need to factor in resale value if you're not going to keep the vehicle for ever. Now that diesels have become popular here in Britain (much later than in the rest of Europe), the resale value of diesel models is so much higher than gas models, particularly for larger vehicles, that it's sometimes worth buying a diesel just for its lower depreciation.

I don't suppose that is true in North America now, but it may be in the future.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:01 AM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
Now that diesels have become popular here in Britain (much later than in the rest of Europe), the resale value of diesel models is so much higher than gas models, particularly for larger vehicles, that it's sometimes worth buying a diesel just for its lower depreciation.
Resale value on a diesel truck here in USA is also much better on the "large" engine diesel pickup than a similar gas engine truck. So was the original purchase price. No history yet on how this "small" diesel engine pickup value on the used market as they are new on this side of the pond.

This small diesel pickup is significantly "Mo Money" to purchase on the front so you better get some value on the back end when it is time to sell.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:22 AM   #17

Trailer:
It's not exactly a recommendation for a truck engine, but someone may like that, aside from being available in the Grand Cherokee in NA and Europe, this VM Motori engine was also used in European versions of the Chrysler 300 and is an engine choice in a couple of Maserati sedans - which perhaps just shows how far the diesel engine has spread into performance cars in Europe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nes#A_630_DOHC
Old 12-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trails West Campster, CampStar, Uhaul, Fiberstream
Washington
I also think resale will be a big factor for us and we will recoup much more percentage wise over a gas truck. I have been a Cummins guy for many years and routinely get 400K miles out of the trucks and sell them at what I consider half life. They still keep going. This new Eco Diesel, however, is no Cummins. They have taken something simple and effective and made it very complicated. I personally don't feel we will keep this truck to 400K...I'm guessing 150K is all I will push it. I like diesel and all the performance benefits. Most people who switch don't go back to gas. It also has helped us to decide to go to some very far away rallies and trips that we wouldn't consider, maybe, because the difference in the trip cost at 21 mpg vs. 11 mpg is significant, to us anyway. Although the lifetime cost maybe more or less, the immediate cost can be a factor in enjoying a trip, or staying home.
Fiberglass Dave
Old 12-29-2015, 11:55 AM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: Shopping
CO
I've had a Sprinter diesel for 11 years.

I am a fan of diesels, however between DEF, fuel taxes, costlier low sulfur diesel, more expensive emissions tests and other expenses, the break even isn't what it used to be. My Sprinter has a 2.7 liter 5 cylinder engine that will tow 5,000 lbs. It is quiet, starts in very cold weather, and has plenty of power to accelerate uphill, thanks to a turbo and a 5 speed. It handles like a car, and isn't underpowered. My 1985 VW Vanagon handled like a boat, and was underpowered even downhill. By the way, certain Dodge now RAM Dealers worked on Sprinters. I would still look hard at a diesel, which was standard at that time.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #20

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
I was recently offered $7000 for my Ranger at a fuel stop, original purchase price was $13800 otd. It is now 15 years old with 170,000 miles on it. I turned the offer down without consideration.
Sounds like pretty good resale potential but resale was not a consideration when I bought it and it is not a consideration now.
In ten more years it will be an antique ... who knows what resale will be then?
Old 12-29-2015, 01:38 PM   #21
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
You might want to ask Reace at Escape trailers. They pulled 2 Escapes down from BC to the Casita rally in Bandera TX last year, one pulled by a Ford Ecoboost and the other by the Ram ecodiesel. If I recall correctly, they got about 12.5 MPG with the ecoboost and about 19 with the Ram ecodiesel.

I would question those numbers, specifically 12.5 MPG with the EcoBoost. I have the heaviest trailer Escape makes and I get 14 MPG with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-29-2015, 05:48 PM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Just driving 55 or 65 can make that much difference.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
my fuel burn rate on mine was at 118 to 120 km about 70 mph lots of big roads .never tried 55 60 mph cruse speed limit is 110.to 120 in places in BC
Old 12-29-2015, 06:34 PM   #24

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Just remember, a diesel can be repaired just about anywhere, there are more diesel truck shops open 24 hours than there are dealers.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Repairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just remember, a diesel can be repaired just about anywhere, there are more diesel truck shops open 24 hours than there are dealers.
I admit to knowing nothing about diesels nor their need for repair other than the experience of friends who own them. I think one of the concerns of the OP is that the diesel may need to be repaired. From what I hear the repairs can be expensive.

We have been 500 miles on dirt roads and a 13 hour ferry from the nearest possibility of Honda parts, where no place is open 24 hours and felt confident that the Honda would not need service.

To me it's not simply the raw power of the engine, or the mpg, or trade in value, or the ability to find a repair shop or how the ride makes me feel, (the awe factor).

Though we travel a lot towing a trailer, towing represents a minority of the miles driven, since it's our only vehicle we seek comfort for general driving around. Comfort is not simply seating comfort but general driveability comfort. (I know Ginny would not like driving to the store in a big diesel truck.)

We seek the ability to tow our trailer anywhere we go including long mountain grades, dusty dirt roads and those stubborn 18% gravel grades. It doesn't matter to us that we weren't the fastest rig up the hill.

We seek low cost per mile driven, that includes fuel, repairs and purchase price. We rarely bring our vehicles to dealers for regular maintenance using speedy oil changes.

We don't worry too much about resale, we plan to keep the car for lot's of miles and usually give them away to family still running well.

Of course I have lots of Escapee friends with big expensive ($50,000) diesels but most are towing 17,000 pound 5th wheels, and not fiberglass trailers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:55 PM   #26

California
I agree with Norm. Life is to short to have to worry about where you can go, based on what service facilities may not be available.

A member on a Toyota Motorhome site recently cruised into a truck stop garage in Las Cruses, NM, and reported a "Knocking Sound" in the motor. After looking things over, the diesel mechanics therein pronounced that it had a bad "main bearing" and would need a complete rebuild, which they could do, before she could go on.

After posting the symptoms on the Toyota Campers group she carefully nursed her vehicle to a local independent Toyota mechanic for a 2nd opinion. Results; $48 for a new alternator bracket that had broken.

So much for truck stop garages. For the most part they aren't interested in what they call "Four Wheelers" and don't stock parts for them either.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:06 PM   #27

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Diesels have fewer moving parts, are built stronger thus will last at least twice as long as gas engines. Diesels are more efficient as well as environmentally friendlier.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:01 AM   #28

California
Looks to me like 4 cycle diesels have the same numbers of moving parts in the basic engine as do gas engines. What's different?