Ranger 3.0 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2003, 09:31 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ranger 3.0

Has anyone had experience with towing a 17' fiberglass (burro) with 3.0 ?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 12:39 PM   #2

iffy.......

Hi Mote. I see you are in West-By-God, and in my opinion you will not be happy with the performance of a 3.0 Ranger with a 17 foot trailer in the mountains. I tow a 16 ft casita with a 4.0 Ranger (auto and 3.73 gears) and consider it bare minimum for anything but Kansas....it's all it wants. Imagine that your Burro would be even more of a load. Auto tranny and 4:10 diff ratio will help but again, wouldn't want to work that hard. A trans cooler and WDH would also be required, unless you beef the stock suspension considerably.

I am going to Danville VA for bike racing this weekend and dread the pull across lover's leap on US 58.

Old 05-02-2003, 12:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Orginally posted by phil moldovan

Hi Mote. I see you are in West-By-God, and in my opinion you will not be happy with the performance of a 3.0 Ranger with a 17 foot trailer in the mountains. I tow a 16 ft casita with a 4.0 Ranger (auto and 3.73 gears) and consider it bare minimum for anything but Kansas....it's all it wants. Imagine that your Burro would be even more of a load. Auto tranny and 4:10 diff ratio will help but again, wouldn't want to work that hard. A trans cooler and WDH would also be required, unless you beef the stock suspension considerably.

I am going to Danville VA for bike racing this weekend and dread the pull across lover's leap on US 58.
Thanks. What is your trailer weight. Do you have a WDH? How about electric brakes?

Old 05-02-2003, 02:45 PM   #4

Yes on brakes(another must!!!) and no on WDH...but only because my truck has a 4" suspensoin lift and offroad shocks. I also put add-a-leafs on top of that, plus a trans cooler, brake controller and HD one-piece driveshaft. this is the ONLY reason I don't need that confounded WDH contraption. My thoughts are if you need that you don't have enough beef in your tow to start with. My truck is pictured in Charles "how do I love thee" thread beside the hatteras lighthouse on the Outer Banks. My Casita scaled at 2460 plus tongue weight so i guess I am around 2800 or so total.

Old 05-02-2003, 06:44 PM   #5

Welcome

I tow a 13' Scamp with a 1998 Ranger XLT 3.0 and 3.73 rear axle.
No brakes or WDH but do have air bags on rear axle for help. We load the bed fairly heavy and try to keep the trailer lite. Drive back and forth from Minnesota to Arizona. Best mpg 16 sometimes less; slows down in the mountains but not as bad as my old 1982 Chev C10 conversion van with 305 V-8 so I am happy. As Phil reports I agree a 17" would probably be above your CGVW after you load the gear; you might pull it a short distance at 55-60mph just to get the trailer home but a long trip would not be any fun at all and maybe a little unsafe.

http://www.popuptimes.com/archives/75rule.asp

check out the above link
;)